Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Keep in mind that the same sedatives that will relax an animal may contribute to breathing problems (overly "relaxed" breathing muscles), especially if an animal has been disgustingly bred to have certain features (to please some humans that find a feature "cute") that make it already difficult to breathe, such as the breed that the mother/passenger brought aboard the United flight.
French Bulldogs look exactly the same now as they did in the 1800's when they first became popular. There have been mummified remains of a dog called the Chincha bulldog found in ancient Peruvian tombs that look just like it. You make it sound like they are some sort of modern designer dog, they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 04:41 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
French Bulldogs look exactly the same now as they did in the 1800's when they first became popular. There have been mummified remains of a dog called the Chincha bulldog found in ancient Peruvian tombs that look just like it. You make it sound like they are some sort of modern designer dog, they're not.
Are you saying that no breeders in the 19th century or earlier bred dogs in order to have them look the way they wanted? Dog breeding goes back centuries.

Any feature which is not in the animal's best interest should not be bred into it.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Feliway.

Yes, cat owners...Feliway WORKS to relax your cat

Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Criminal charges are being considered in the death of this dog. Harris County (Houston) is investigating and will make a decision on whether to file cruelty charges.

Criminal Investigation Launched into Dog's Death on United | PEOPLE.com

I'm really irritated that this Flight Attendant is stating she didn't know it was a dog in there. Everyone around them knew, and one witness was busy googling whether the overhead bin is ventilated when the plane took off and she no longer had internet service.

She knew, and she didn't care. I really hope she gets charged with a crime.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Criminal charges are being considered in the death of this dog. Harris County (Houston) is investigating and will make a decision on whether to file cruelty charges.

I'm really irritated that this Flight Attendant is stating she didn't know it was a dog in there. Everyone around them knew, and one witness was busy googling whether the overhead bin is ventilated when the plane took off and she no longer had internet service.

She knew, and she didn't care. I really hope she gets charged with a crime.

What?! That would be ridiculous if they charge the FA with a crime. If anyone, it is the pasanger who should be charged. She was the one who made the choice to put the dog in the overhead bin. Just because the FA supposedly told her to does not absolve her from any crime that may have happened.

Its as if no one cares about personal responsibility anymore. Just blsme your idiotic mistakes on someone else.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
It seems like there is much more to this story than what is being reported. And some woman animal lover is perpetuating the story in the media for personal reasons. I think no one has interviewed the flight attendant. I sure would like to hear her story. I’m not a dog lover, but I sure know better than to put any animal in the overhead bin.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
She was travelling with 2 or 3 kids- one of the seats should have had room...
sad all around - if she was too jaded to stand up for her dog, one of the other passengers (or ten of them) should have ... what is the world coming to when we can just sit there for TWO hours and hear something suffer (die)...
I’m wondering, after take-off, couldn’t the owner have stood up, opened the overhead bin and
retreived the dog? Especially if the owner heard the dog whimpering. Probably would have saved it’s life.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I’m wondering, after take-off, couldn’t the owner have stood up, opened the overhead bin and
retreived the dog? Especially if the owner heard the dog whimpering. Probably would have saved it’s life.
+++++++

Then being thrown off the plane is off the table. People reported the dog barked for 2 hours into the flight. How can you not go into the OH bin and check on the dog???? She's as much to blame as the FA who "claims" she did not know there was a living creature in the bag. Can anyone say CYA?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What?! That would be ridiculous if they charge the FA with a crime. If anyone, it is the pasanger who should be charged. She was the one who made the choice to put the dog in the overhead bin. Just because the FA supposedly told her to does not absolve her from any crime that may have happened.

Its as if no one cares about personal responsibility anymore. Just blsme your idiotic mistakes on someone else.
On an airplane, Flight attendants are pretty much like LE officers. Once you're in the air, they actually ARE the law.

The FA didn't "supposedly" tell her to do it, she ordered her to, and by most accounts she was the one who physically placed the dog in the overhead bin, despite protests by the family.

The dog owner likely would not know about the overhead bins, and how inappropriate they are for live animals; an FA would or should.

I'm so curious why you are so consistently hard on the dog owner, and not the FA who caused all this?

You're acting as if the dog owner placed the dog in the overhead bin over the protests of the Flight Attendant.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
the FA who "claims" she did not know there was a living creature in the bag. Can anyone say CYA?
Unless a half dozen witnesses step forward and state that they plainly heard the word dog, or that the dog was barking as it was put into the overhead, or that the FA picked it up and it was obvious the dog was wriggling around in the bag, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the FA. The bag does not look like a pet carrier, and it's quite possible she may have been told but did not understand when the woman was saying it was a dog.
I'll concede it's possible because people do stupid things all the time, but it doesn't make much sense for any FA to risk their job by placing an animal in the overhead, especially if there are witnesses. Have any other witnesses come forth other than the woman with the original twitter post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events