Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Plus she had no way of knowing the dog would suffocate.
That breed of dog is brachycephalic. Breathing and respiratory issues are the A-#1 concern with brachy dogs and cats. Plus, it is small and putting it into a compartment with other luggage so it can get knocked around or squashed during turbulence is asking for trouble. She obviously didn't research the breed before getting one.

I don't know why people can't get it that a REAL owner, who understands their responsibility re: their pet's welfare, would never have allowed this to occur. I hope she thinks good and hard about whether or not she is able to handle pet ownership before getting another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:46 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Warning---
Flying in the modern era is not for wusses. We must all be prepared for battle. We are not special because we can afford airline tickets, and the convenience of getting somewhere distant within a few hours. That ship has sailed. So expect to be treated like cattle and bring your armor and horns. Be ready to record at all times. Be firm but polite, know your rights.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:58 AM

122 posts, read 125,033 times
I have an anecdotal story of my own small altercation with a FA. This took place in the 1990’s.

I was sitting in aisle seat, had my raincoat underneath the seat in front of me, and waiting for takeoff. FA walks by and, as she is walking by (no stopping), points in my direction and says, “that box needs to be completely underneath the seat”. I don’t have a box in my possession. So, I squish my raincoat into a smaller bundle underneath the seat.

She walks by again and, again without stopping, says, “I said that box needs to be underneath the seat”.

I have no idea what she’s talking about.

The third time she walks by she finally stops and says, “I have told you repeatedly to move that box underneath the seat”. She’s acting pretty pissed by now.

I tell her that I don’t have a box and don’t know what she’s talking about. She tells me that I do too have a box and we are not flying that day until I do something about it.

I then decided that someone adult needed to be in charge. I stay seated so not to create an incident, maintain eye contact in a calm authoritative manner, and tell her, “Point to what you think is a box”. She points to my raincoat! I pick up my raincoat, show her what it is, and tell her to put it in the overhead compartment. To this day, I have no idea what box she thought I had.

I can understand that a FA probably has a million things to think of before takeoff. But uttering commands that either don’t even make sense or are incomprehensible to anyone doesn’t help.

I feel for this family. Back in the 90’s, passengers weren’t routinely thrown off of flights and, even though it didn’t make sense, I was able to understand the words that she was saying even as she was whizzing by.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
I have an anecdotal story of my own small altercation with a FA. This took place in the 1990’s.

I was sitting in aisle seat, had my raincoat underneath the seat in front of me, and waiting for takeoff. FA walks by and, as she is walking by (no stopping), points in my direction and says, “that box needs to be completely underneath the seat”. I don’t have a box in my possession. So, I squish my raincoat into a smaller bundle underneath the seat.

She walks by again and, again without stopping, says, “I said that box needs to be underneath the seat”.

The third time she walks by she finally stops and says, “I have told you repeatedly to move that box underneath the seat”. She’s acting pretty pissed by now.

I tell her that I don’t have a box and don’t know what she’s talking about. She tells me that I do too have a box and we are not flying that day until I do something about it.

I then decided that someone adult needed to be in charge. I stay seated so not to create an incident, maintain eye contact in a calm authoritative manner, and tell her, “Point to what you think is a box”. She points to my raincoat! I pick up my raincoat, show her what it is, and tell her to put it in the overhead compartment. To this day, I have no idea what box she thought I had.

I can understand that a FA probably has a million things to think of before takeoff. But uttering commands that either don’t even make sense or are incomprehensible to anyone doesn’t help.

I feel for this family. Back in the 90’s, passengers weren’t routinely thrown off of flights and, even though it didn’t make sense, I was able to understand the words that she was saying even as she was whizzing by.
So she called your scrunched up coat a box, apparently it still wasn't all the way under the seat. You knew what she meant.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That would be an interesting study.

ARE dogs safer in a licensed kennel than if the passenger buys a dog a ticket for the cabin and puts the dog in a regulation pet carrier and intends to store the dog under the cabin seat?

Which is a better bet?
I'm never away from my dog often, but I've boarded a few times at a vet's kennel. Although they missed me, they were always alive and healthy when I picked them up.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...-risk-6241533/

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But what about other passengers, like my DH, who are allergic to cats? So you are going to put this cat under his seat?
The needs of humans should win. See Animal Rights v. Peoples' Rights; People Trump Animals.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If she had done that, the flight would have turned around and returned to the airport and the woman would have been arrested and charged with, 49 U.S. Code § 46504 - Interference with flight crew members and attendants. The penalty for which is 20 years in prison. She could also be subject to a severe beating by airline's police.
You are allowed to get out of your seat and retrieve personal belongs from the overhead bins once the seatbelt sign is turned off. Its only during landing and takeoff that the FAs are very particular about the aisles being clear.

She could have also asked another FA about the situation.

I just csnnot understand howbshe could just sit therw for 3 hours and 25 minutes while her dog died, and do nothing about it. Not once did she think to check on her dog.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What exactly was she supposed to do? Deplane, lose all her money, possibly without the funds to take a last minute flight for three people, baggage, and the puppy? Last minute tickets are exorbitantly expensive. A lot of people wouldn't have the money to pay for them.
She would have been booked on a later flight with United. She woild not have been out any money. She most likely would have received food vouchers and hotel vouchers since it was the last flight of the day.

Or the gate agent would have straightened out the issue, amd she would have reboarded knowing she could keep her dog underneath the seat.

Quote:
Plus she had no way of knowing the dog would suffocate. Many reasonably intelligent people would assume the compartment wasn't airtight. It still might not be.
No, a reasonably intelligent person would know you don't put a live animal in a closed container for over 3 hours.

There is a reason why dog crates have ventilation and are not just a plastic container with a lid. There is a reason why cardboard boxes used to transport animals have ventilation holes. Animals are living, breathing creatures. I would hope any resonablly intelligent person would know that.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post

No, we're a long way from "Fly the Friendly Skies".

Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The needs of humans should win. See Animal Rights v. Peoples' Rights; People Trump Animals.
The needs of animals ARE the needs of humans. This dog was in the air because his humans needed to move him not because he had any rights", don't be ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events