Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
FAs are not responsible for your property, and are not supposed to be handling any property you bring on board. They will not even pick up bags to place in the overhead compartments. That is the customers responsibility to be able to carry and lift their own bags.

FAs number one responsibility is to safely get the passengers from one place to another.
You're running out of reasons to defend this FA.

This New York Times article, where they did some research into the case, states that the FA placed the carrier in the overhead compartment herself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...dog-death.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 AM

535 posts, read 343,836 times
Maybe the cage was too big to fit under the seat. I would not bring my dog on an airplane unless there was a special area where they are cared for with good ventilation, water, and food. JMHO.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Maybe the cage was too big to fit under the seat. I would not bring my dog on an airplane unless there was a special area where they are cared for with good ventilation, water, and food. JMHO.
It wasn't a cage, it was a soft sided bag.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It wasn't a cage, it was a soft sided bag.
And it was FAA approved for on plane travel so it had to fit.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
This is a good idea, but the airlines would never go for it. They make too much money on using every inch of space for seats.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:40 PM

817 posts, read 923,099 times
I am another person who doesn't believe that overheads are sealed and airtight, but keep in mind that the cabin is usually pressurized to 8,000 feet, so the dog may as well have been in Tibet as far as the available amount of oxygen is concerned. Pets are supposed to be under the seat in front of you, and the FAA approved containers are supposed to fit under the seat, so that is where the pet should have gone, but the cabin pressurization may be a bigger factor.

In the early 1990s United flew my cats from O'Hare to Los Angeles without incident. We left them with my parents before we drove to our new home, and then they had to stay a few extra weeks because temperatures at O'Hare were too high for shipping pets. Then an extra week or two because temps at Ontario were too high, but then my mom got the idea to send them to LAX where temps were lower, and so I made the 70 mile drive from my home and the cats were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
United has a habit of throwing its employees under the bus. They apologize, toss a few thousand Points or Dollars to shut the complainer up.

My "Guess" is the FA was doing the final pre-take off walk thru the cabin and saw the bag blocking the emergency pathway in front of the seats, and told her to move it to the overhead. By the time the passenger might have said something the FA was 3 or 4 rows further down the plane.

Unfortunately we only get one side of the story, UA will do it internal investigation, but we will never hear that part of it.
In the David Dao case, the CEO initially offered a statement supporting the flight crew (which in that case were not United employees), but was then vilified online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And risk getting physically dragged off the plane while her small children watch?
What risk? United has changed policy to not physically remove passengers, which now means that passengers can pull whatever stunt they want. Dao's big miscalculation was defying the authorities in Chicago. That typically carries a steep price.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This is a good idea, but the airlines would never go for it. They make too much money on using every inch of space for seats.

I flew with my cat on Continental. I purchased a hard side carrier which fit under the seat in front of me. I upgraded to first class, which had slightly more room for the cage. As I recall, the cage was only 8 inches high, and kitty was stuffed in, but he was ok. The flight went smoothly, from Houston to Los Angeles. They did charge a fee of, $75 (?), to bring him, and we needed a reservation, because they only allowed so many animals per flight. I bought the special cage at Pet Smart. IDK what the various airlines are like today (this was about 10 years ago), but I think with a little advance planning taking pets onboard should not be a problem.

I would NEVER allow my pet to be placed in cargo hold! Make sure to get a direct flight, not a connecting flight.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,987 times
Default United Idiots

I wish I had been there. I would have said " How about you go in the overhead compartment, and puppy can walk up and down the aisle. Betcha he'd bring much more enjoyment to the passengers than you ever could".

Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 19,499 times
Please sign the partition to fire this negligent and ignorant flight attendant!

https://www.change.org/p/united-airl...term=fb_dialog

Old 03-18-2018, 08:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The flight attendant said she didnt know there was a dog. The picture of the dog carrier they used looks like a normal bag from the outside.

I fully blame the family for this dog's death. What idiot puts their dog into the overhead bin for 3 hours? Not once did they get up and check on their dog? They were just completely fine with it suffocating to death. Horrible people, hopefully they don't get another animal as they have shown they're not responsible pet owners.
Agreed, the family needs to take responsibility here. Sounds like they are angling for a big payout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events