Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This

I presume the moron passenger had a second carry-on bag under the seat so the pet bag was blocking things. With a couple of firing neurons, any sentient being would have put the other carry-on in the overhead and stuffed the pet carrier under the seat.

It’s mid March and I already have 30,000 Premier Qualifying Miles on United. The pet and service dog thing is out of control. People are traveling with house pets and claiming they are service dogs. That needs to be made illegal with stiff fraud penalties. I had a Great Dane on a full flight a few weeks ago with a tiny service dog vest. Really? Then there was the old couple in the bulkhead seat with the Golden Retriever with the Amazon.com service dog vest who early boarded and took 10 minutes to get situated blocking everyone else from boarding so the plane pushed back late. Entitled people with house pets.

Personally, my issue with United is 30” seat pitch seats. I’m 6’2”. I don’t fit in the seat.
The flight attendant was the moron, not the passenger.

This dog was traveling as a pet, not a service dog or emotional support animal. The owner had him in an approved carrier and paid for his fare. Service dogs and emotional support animals are off topic, as is passenger seating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
United is revamping pet traveling policies. No longer will animals be carried in the cargo area of the plane. Brightly colored tags will be placed on animal carrying crates to identify them so they won't be mistaken for luggage (which was not the problem in this case, but well played, United).

United suspends pet cargo flights - Mar. 20, 2018

Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
United is revamping pet traveling policies. No longer will animals be carried in the cargo area of the plane. Brightly colored tags will be placed on animal carrying crates to identify them so they won't be mistaken for luggage (which was not the problem in this case, but well played, United).

United suspends pet cargo flights - Mar. 20, 2018
It wasn't the problem with this case, but this case happened pretty much simultaneously with their accidentally sending the 10 year old Shepard from Colorado to Japan instead of Kansas City where the family was moving. This was a big deal, the dog went without needed medicine, food or water for over 16 hours, and they couldn't locate him until 2:30 a.m., many hours after the family landed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bishopj.../#12a4c2e75910

United is under the gun, one Congressman wants them investigated due to the high number of pets who die or are misrouted under their care compared to all other airlines. This wasn't them getting ahead of the curve, it's them trying to stem a tide of deep sh**.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Looks like Delta was jealous of all the attention United was getting:

Delta apologizes after 8-week old puppy sent to wrong location

Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Per CBS news, United just announced it is putting all animal transport on hold while they investigate the problems in their system and revamp it.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Per CBS news, United just announced it is putting all animal transport on hold while they investigate the problems in their system and revamp it.
Like many have said, no pets onboard - problem solved

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Animal transport in the cargo hold are no longer allowed. Pets will still be allowed in the cabin according to existing procedures.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Looks like Delta was jealous of all the attention United was getting:

Delta apologizes after 8-week old puppy sent to wrong location
Wow, 8 weeks sounds very young to fly for a puppy, is that how young most breeders ship their puppies?

The most disturbing part of that article is the horrendous treatment he got from Delta "customer service" in his attempts to find his puppy, including being hung up on and yelled at. Then when they get bad PR, they give him the phone number to reach a supervisor? If a customer asks a rep to speak to a supervisor, they should be connected to a supervisor.

Delta used to have awesome customer service back in the day. Once about 15 years ago, I mistakenly booked a connecting flight leaving from Dallas only 30 minutes after my first flight was scheduled to arrive, in a terminal far from where the connecting flight was leaving from. I'm a nervous traveler, the one who gets to the airport 3 hours before my flight "just in case" (I can't relax until I'm there, and find it easy to entertain myself for a few hours in most modern airports).

Anyway I called Delta in a near-panic when I saw the narrow window of time (Dallas airport is huge). I got a lady who spoke to me very calmly and reassuringly, she sounded like a Kindergarten teacher trying to coax a scared child down the slide, lol. She made me feel so much better, she was awesome, I can still remember how soothing and calming her voice was.

Now no one cares anymore, they have a million more calls to deal with now because the flight experience is riddled with so many problems, and pay the people less and less OR go overseas (talking to you, Spirit) for customer service, when they used to hire actual professional customer service people, who were part of the airline with decent pay, good benefits and all the perks of working for an airline, so they cared about the job.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-20-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
I just read united airlines has suspended animal transport in cargo. this is very sad for people who need to move their family animals. https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...aps/ar-BBKtwPE

I hope the airline resumes transport soon. we moved our animals from NYC to texas by air with absolutely no problems.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I just read united airlines has suspended animal transport in cargo. this is very sad for people who need to move their family animals. https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...aps/ar-BBKtwPE

I hope the airline resumes transport soon. we moved our animals from NYC to texas by air with absolutely no problems.
Hmmm, with all their outrageous mishandling of pets time and time again, it’s in everyone’s ( especially the pets) best interest to put this on hold while they figure out what they’re doing. In the meantime there are other airlines apparently with a much lower rate of screwups. If I had to fly with a pet I think I would veer away from the one most likely to result in harm or death of my pet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events