Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 08:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
If you travel on a plane belonging to an airline which transports dogs as well as people, and allows certain dogs to stay near their owners, then you must accept that there is a possibility that the dogs will bark. You are not traveling in a flying library. Responsible owners will try to quiet a barking dog, but short of sedating them (which is done sometimes, and can also be risky) there is no guarantee that they will succeed in making the dog stay quiet. The only thing you can do, legally, is start your own dog-free airline or start some kind of citizen movement to ban all dogs from being allowed in the cabins of airlines, cargo only.

Yes, they're just animals; and like babies, they can't understand that their barking might upset people. Hopefully you're enough of an adult to control your anger if a dog barks for hours on a plane. It's not their fault, and it's not always the owners' fault. Often, the dog is just fine on the plane.
If a dog barked for hours on the plane, I would be furious. A nice shot of a sedative would be good. Dogs shouldn't be on long flights anyway. It's too upsetting for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 08:37 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Yes, they're just animals; and like babies, they can't understand that their barking might upset people. Hopefully you're enough of an adult to control your anger if a dog barks for hours on a plane. It's not their fault, and it's not always the owners' fault. Often, the dog is just fine on the plane.
It may not be the animals' faults. They're just being dogs. But that's like someone insisting on someone bringing a full-grown chimp,basically 600 lbs. of caged dynamite on a plane. If someone is hurt or killed, hey, by your logic it's just being itself. For my reasoning see a thread on the subject of animals' and peoples' relative rights (link).

Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
While it is true that the FA has 200-300 other people to worry about; the FA is also supposed to handle people's property in a way that does not damage that property; which includes animals (for which the passengers pay extra fees for United to transport safely).
FAs are not responsible for your property, and are not supposed to be handling any property you bring on board. They will not even pick up bags to place in the overhead compartments. That is the customers responsibility to be able to carry and lift their own bags.

FAs number one responsibility is to safely get the passengers from one place to another.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
FAs are not responsible for your property, and are not supposed to be handling any property you bring on board. They will not even pick up bags to place in the overhead compartments. That is the customers responsibility to be able to carry and lift their own bags.

FAs number one responsibility is to safely get the passengers from one place to another.

When a FA takes it upon herself/himself to disobey a United Airlines rule and move the dog, in its approved carrier, from the floor to an overhead bin, then the FA is and must be held to be responsible. The FA broke the rules; and that is not the fault of the dog owner.

Last edited by Regina14; 03-17-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 09:10 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Frenchie, not Boston. Point taken.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It may not be the animals' faults. They're just being dogs. But that's like someone insisting on someone bringing a full-grown chimp,basically 600 lbs. of caged dynamite on a plane. If someone is hurt or killed, hey, by your logic it's just being itself. For my reasoning see a thread on the subject of animals' and peoples' relative rights (link).

There is a huge difference in an animal hurting someone and an animal barking. And an animal confined to a carrier has a minimal chance of hurting someone. You're the one equating a dog barking to a dog physically injuring someone - I did not. If you truly believe that a confined dog barking is the same as a dog attacking/injuring someone, then there's really no way that you and I can effectively communicate. (I suggest you invest in earplugs/headphones; which is a good idea for airplane travel anyway) Six hundred pound-chimpanzees should not be in the cabin of any airline (perhaps a private chartered plane?) and I don't think they should be pets; they should be in the jungle or in zoos or sanctuaries.

The dogs did not demand the right to be transported by commercial airlines; the airlines gave it to the dogs' owners in exchange for extra fees and conditions (i.e. confinement in approved carriers, such as the one that became the French Bulldog's coffin). If you travel on commercial airlines; there is a chance that there will be one or more dogs on those planes; and there is a chance that one of those dogs might bark; that's the way it is; I didn't make it, the airlines did; and you have to take it in stride or find a different mode of transportation.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference in an animal hurting someone and an animal barking. And an animal confined to a carrier has a minimal chance of hurting someone. You're the one equating a dog barking to a dog physically injuring someone - I did not. If you truly believe that a confined dog barking is the same as a dog attacking/injuring someone, then there's really no way that you and I can effectively communicate. (I suggest you invest in earplugs/headphones; which is a good idea for airplane travel anyway) Six hundred pound-chimpanzees should not be in the cabin of any airline (perhaps a private chartered plane?) and I don't think they should be pets; they should be in the jungle or in zoos or sanctuaries.

The dogs did not demand the right to be transported by commercial airlines; the airlines gave it to the dogs' owners in exchange for extra fees and conditions (i.e. confinement in approved carriers, such as the one that became the French Bulldog's coffin). If you travel on commercial airlines; there is a chance that there will be one or more dogs on those planes; and there is a chance that one of those dogs might bark; that's the way it is; I didn't make it, the airlines did; and you have to take it in stride or find a different mode of transportation.
I have a question; why should I be forced to fly with someone else's animal?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:41 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have a question; why should I be forced to fly with someone else's animal?
You aren't. You may choose not to fly.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
She would have been booked on a later flight with United. She woild not have been out any money. She most likely would have received food vouchers and hotel vouchers since it was the last flight of the day.

Or the gate agent would have straightened out the issue, amd she would have reboarded knowing she could keep her dog underneath the seat.

No, a reasonably intelligent person would know you don't put a live animal in a closed container for over 3 hours.

There is a reason why dog crates have ventilation and are not just a plastic container with a lid. There is a reason why cardboard boxes used to transport animals have ventilation holes. Animals are living, breathing creatures. I would hope any resonablly intelligent person would know that.
Yes agreed, it’s as plain as the nose on ones face. How someone can claim that an adult didn’t realize a living being- animal, toddler etc requires AIR - aka ventilation, and water... just no! Has common sense become obsolete? That is the most disappointing of all- grown a** adults trying to justify this by suggesting maybe the dogs owner didn’t realize it needed air to be ok- that perhaps the owner didn’t realize a living dog, not a stuffed animal, but a living breathing dog, requires air/ventilation/ water to live. Very disappointing to hear some suggest maybe the ADULT owner didn’t realize this? For the same reason we don’t transport dogs cats or god forbid toddlers in a suitcase is - the reason. Clear as the nose on one’s face

Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What about a BARKING dog??? I would be more understanding of a crying baby than an animal making a noise. A baby is a human being, a dog is a pet, sacred to that family but of no importance to others on the plane. I traveled 8 hours last year from Europe and there were 3 crying babies on the flight and a couple of young kids who were cranky. Yes, it was annoying, but I would have been mad if it had been animals making noise. They are just animals!!!
People here who are frequent fliers and those who have flown with pets have said its not happened. I would expect pet owners to know their dogs temperament before flying and take precautions.

I don’t actually think it’s that common that most of us need to worry about it. These people were moving. Most people who take their animals are moving. It’s also not a new thing. Animals had that fit under the seat of been allowed to fly for many years and I’ve never had a flight with a barking dog either .

Again I do not think it matters to most people who are flying whether it is a human baby or an animal keeping them awake. I don’t think they’re more OK with being kept awake if it’s a human So I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events