Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I'm never away from my dog often, but I've boarded a few times at a vet's kennel. Although they missed me, they were always alive and healthy when I picked them up.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...-risk-6241533/
This was not a vacation they were moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 11:22 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The needs of humans should win. See Animal Rights v. Peoples' Rights; People Trump Animals.
The needs of animals ARE the needs of humans. This dog was in the air because his humans needed to move him not because he had any rights", don't be ridiculous.
If you look at the OP it makes the point that many times pet owners are advocating their own selfish rights, not the "rights" of their pets:
Quote:
A frequent and indeed inevitable topic of discussion is the rights of pet owners vs. non-pet owners in public facilities. Some consider it the rights of domesticated animals as opposed to the rights of people.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM

122 posts, read 125,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So she called your scrunched up coat a box, apparently it still wasn't all the way under the seat. You knew what she meant.
I guessed the obvious i.e. Box = Raincoat and scrunched it down even further as I said above.

So, no I didn’t know what she meant. Pretty amazing how someone on the Internet can take their crystal ball out and explain this incident to me from 20+ years ago – no wonder misunderstandings still occur even today.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:42 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You are allowed to get out of your seat and retrieve personal belongs from the overhead bins once the seatbelt sign is turned off. Its only during landing and takeoff that the FAs are very particular about the aisles being clear.

She could have also asked another FA about the situation.

I just csnnot understand howbshe could just sit therw for 3 hours and 25 minutes while her dog died, and do nothing about it. Not once did she think to check on her dog.
The child said they were concerned about the dog but were not allowed to get up because of turbulence. It's not true that "Not once did she think to check on her dog."

Old 03-17-2018, 12:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
I guessed the obvious i.e. Box = Raincoat and scrunched it down even further as I said above.

So, no I didn’t know what she meant. Pretty amazing how someone on the Internet can take their crystal ball out and explain this incident to me from 20+ years ago – no wonder misunderstandings still occur even today.
When she told you the box needs to be underneath the seat, you said that you tried squishing your raincoat further under the seat. So it seems like you did know what she was talking about, you were just trying to be difficult.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:56 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
If you look at the OP it makes the point that many times pet owners are advocating their own selfish rights, not the "rights" of their pets:
Sorry, it isn’t any more “selfish” than traveling with babies is, if the definition of selfish you’re using is potential impact on fellow travelers.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The child said they were concerned about the dog but were not allowed to get up because of turbulence.
The whole 3 hours and 25 minutes? That seems very unlikely.

Quote:
It's not true that "Not once did she think to check on her dog."
Do you have a link that says otherwise? Everything I've read said she did not check on the dog once during the flight. She put it in the overhead bin before the flight took off in Houston, and didnt check on the dog again until the flight was at the gate in New York.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:20 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The whole 3 hours and 25 minutes? That seems very unlikely.

Do you have a link that says otherwise? Everything I've read said she did not check on the dog once during the flight. She put it in the overhead bin before the flight took off in Houston, and didnt check on the dog again until the flight was at the gate in New York.
The young girl said they were concerned but they were not allowed to get up because of turbulence.

Why can't you accept that not every traveler is as sophisticated as you are and not every dog owner as knowledgeable?

You or I might have opened the carrier and shown the dog to the FA and insisted that he be put under the seat, where the bag is designed to go, removing any other carry-ons and putting them in the overhead bin instead. This passenger was not happy but deferred to the insistence of the FA. After all, the FA is supposed to be a professional and know what she is doing.

The FA was wrong. Her action was the root cause of the dog's death.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Quote:
Sorry, it isn’t any more “selfish” than traveling with babies is, if the definition of selfish you’re using is potential impact on fellow travelers.

Big difference. A baby is a PERSON. A dog is an ANIMAL.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
The right of a dog not to be in a kennel is less important than the right of a baby to be with its parents. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events