Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Totally agree. I deleted my FB after the presidential election. People’s true colors came out behind their keyboards and I didn’t like it. Now I’m here in C-D more often. It actually is freeing to be off social media completely. I use C-D for informational purposes mostly, with the exception of some posts like this.
Only one family member became extremely obnoxious about his political beliefs after the election, and it was so heinous that I blocked him a couple of weeks before I decided to bail completely. But to their credit, the others, although I knew there politics ran completely opposite to mine, kept politics out of their facebook pages so we didn't have an issue. But that one - - it became increasingly difficult for me to keep my mouth shut and not respond to his hate-filled posts. I don't need that kind of aggravation.

Funny - I noticed family & friends that had similar political views to mine didn't have FB pages. Mine was only active a couple of months just so I could see what all the houpla was about. Once I figured it out, I was outta there too!

So I really didn't feel like I had much in common with the few family members on FB, except that we shared a common bloodline. But the similarities ended there. We really didn't share the same world view. All the ones I really wanted to be connected to on FB weren't there anyway. That's probably why it felt so unfulfilling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 573 times
I tried so many times to escape Facebook but always caved in and went back after a week or so...
After the Cambridge Analytica scandal ..it gave me the fuel and motivation to walk away for good!

I will never go back.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
I have FB and Twitter. Instagram is too juvenile for me, as more teens use Instagram than adults.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I still use Facebook. Most of my relatives that all live in other states/countries use it as a way for family to keep in touch. Otherwise, we never would. The younger relatives all took off for other places. Most of the time though, I just play a few games in there and check into my groups. Only interact with a few family/friends on any given day.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I'm not a joiner

Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I see no reason to close my facebook. It's a good way for families and relatives to keep in touch. I just delete unnecessary friends to keep the list nice an intimate.. family only, not half the co-workers in my plant. I'm not one of them who wants to be in a big group orgy with half the town.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,938,423 times
long distance calls are over priced and expensive

Old 06-02-2018, 01:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Never had a Facebook account t close. Why people want the world t know their business is beyond me.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:55 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It was no news to me what Facebook was doing. It has bugged me for some time that if I google an item from Facebook I then see constant ads for the item on Facebook for weeks or months. Irritating. But it keeps me in the loop with my kids and a few old and dear friends. I don't intend to drop it.
You can block those pesky notices, by clicking on the bold-printed Name of the facebook site, and then click "Unfollow" by the image of the smartphone.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
I looked in at mine for the first time in months and months. A relative had posted a thing clearly directed at me and I thought that was tacky and quit going there. If someone is going to make a snarky comment to me, it shouldn't be on a place like that. Even though she didn't use my name, others knew it was directed at me.

I was surprised that every other post was from some ___panda site that I'd never heard of nor wanted to go look at. Cluttered up my whole news feed. How do I get rid of stuff like that?

I noticed a lot of the relatives who used to post are not there any longer.

I also got a little information that really hurt my feelings - something someone should have shared personally with me so that I could have attended and seen my grandkids. I wish I'd never opened the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events