Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 02:15 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I watched the video and read the comments here. Though she was within her rights to sit there, she should have moved as her mobility was superior to the man in the wheelchair. Common decency and common sense would dictate she should’ve moved so it appears she has neither of these qualities . Plus the guy in the wheelchair was sitting out in the hot sun while this played out and then had to wait for the next bus, and what if the next bus had another senior already sitting in that same spot? He could be sitting there all day. I’m thinking that the seat structure needs to be evaluated further and that perhaps that particular seat is deemed only for wheelchair patrons and not necessarily just a senior or some other disabled person. Seniors not disabled enough to need a wheelchair could sit in other seats close to front area, just not that one.
They could accomplish that by removing the fold down seats entirely. That way the space would always be open for wheelchairs. Then designate the seats behind that for seniors and disabled. But that is going to be about eight lost seats on every bus. They have already cut back the number of seats so much, that they are practically becoming standing room only vehicles for non-disabled passengers. I'm not sure how many people are going to continue to ride under those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Thanks, Cloudy. I haven't ridden a bus since I was a child, so I have no idea how the seating works today. She could have done the nice thing and changed her seat, but she was within her rights not to. The angry passengers should learn to control themselves in public. Speak if you must, but don't shout and threaten seniors. We live in an angry, "me first" world.

LOL..oh the irony. You talk about a "me first" world, well this old woman is a perfect example of that.

Just because someone is old doesn't mean they're a good person and need respect.

Nobody got physical with her, again you don't get a pass for bad behavior just because you're over 65.

She could have easily moved, the young guy behind her says to her "take my seat".

The old girl was getting around without a cane or a walker, she should have moved.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:29 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
She could have either a mental disorder or addiction aggravating the situation or be a street person.

I'd hand her 20 bucks; money talks.
Wow, so you'd give in to this behavior by rewarding it?
The driver should not have left the poor guy in the hot sun. He should have kept him on board and called the police.

There might be a lot of people who can lay claim to a seat like that for a variety of reasons. However is someone is significantly more disabled than you, civilized human decency dictates you move. Thus there is no excuse for this woman not to move, especially in light of others offering their seat to her.

`

Old 08-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Thanks, Cloudy. I haven't ridden a bus since I was a child, so I have no idea how the seating works today. She could have done the nice thing and changed her seat, but she was within her rights not to. The angry passengers should learn to control themselves in public. Speak if you must, but don't shout and threaten seniors. We live in an angry, "me first" world.
To be fair, none of the other passengers had a "me first" attitude.

Exactly the opposite. They took time and energy to stick up for the passenger in the wheelchair, who wasn't related to them at all.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She looked at least 65 years old and she might have had a disability. It appears she couldn't speak English to communicate that. And if she was truly disabled and she got in the seat first, she would have had priority. So she would be correct here.

I watched the entire video.

For those of you saying she had no disability, you don't know that.

If you watched the entire video you know that one of the passengers tried to speak to her in another language that apparently they thought she might understand. With no more success than everyone else.

And you don't know that she DOES have a disability, come to that. (If she did and she was sitting there because she did, and was not moving because she DESERVED to be there, that puts paid to the not speaking English theory because she would have to be able to read the sign that was in English.)

Old 08-24-2018, 03:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
To be fair, none of the other passengers had a "me first" attitude.

Exactly the opposite. They took time and energy to stick up for the passenger in the wheelchair, who wasn't related to them at all.
Correct, it gives me some hope for humanity that so many spoke up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you watched the entire video you know that one of the passengers tried to speak to her in another language that apparently they thought she might understand. With no more success than everyone else.

And you don't know that she DOES have a disability, come to that. (If she did and she was sitting there because she did, and was not moving because she DESERVED to be there, that puts paid to the not speaking English theory because she would have to be able to read the sign that was in English.)
Again correct, I live in Southern CA where a lot of people speak Spanish. You don't even have to understand much Spanish to understand that she is being asked by another woman in Spanish to give up her seat. In fact she is the first person to speak to her, to no avail.

And later on she speaks English when people start saying things to her.

As far as being disabled, she is front of her a cart for her groceries, she isn't disabled she is just selfish and lazy. She is getting around pretty good if she can cart groceries home on the bus.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Again correct, I live in Southern CA where a lot of people speak Spanish. You don't even have to understand much Spanish to understand that she is being asked by another woman in Spanish to give up her seat. In fact she is the first person to speak to her, to no avail.

As far as being disabled, she is front of her a cart for her groceries, she isn't disabled she is just selfish and lazy. She is getting around pretty good if she can cart groceries home on the bus.
I didn't realize she had a shopping cart. It is too bad someone didn't grab it and start to move it toward whatever direction they wanted her to go in. You know she would have hopped up in an effort to grab it, then someone else could have just popped into the seat until the man in the wheelchair could be secured there.

`

Old 08-24-2018, 04:01 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Correct, it gives me some hope for humanity that so many spoke up.

Exactly, she was just being miserable. Also several have mentioned it’s first come first serve so get on the bus earlier. Well how would that work? A bus route is a route based on stops. One simply does not get on the bus earlier. People board the bus at a stop that’s near their home. They’re not going to take a taxi to get themselves 10 blocks up so they can board the bus earlier. Nor should they have to take a bus several hours in advance . Unfortunately this woman was a rude person and the guy in the wheelchair took the brunt of her rudeness. It is ironic that as society develops more equipment and has more rules than ever to try and accommodate every single person that these accommodations themselves actually cause other problems and lawsuits.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I'm confused too. She was seated. Was the wheelchair-bound man planning to extricate himself from his chair, sit in that same seat and park his wheelchair elsewhere?

How was this woman in his way?

Was she herself disabled in some way and entitled to that seat?

I'm more appalled by the behavior of other passengers.
I guess you are unfamiliar with how areas on the bus are specifically designed to safley transport people in wheelchairs and the like.
Seats in certain areas can be moved/folded to allow for various size conveniences to fit, and then strapped/tethered to anchor points. This helps protect disabled peopled in the event of a sudden stop, evasive maneuver or an accident.

`

Old 08-24-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The seat she was sitting on needed to fold up to make room for the wheelchair. She was sitting in a seat designated for Seniors and Persons With Disabilities. She is clearly a senior. She is an obnoxious *****, but she was within her legal right not to give up her seat. That is why the bus driver and his supervisor allowed her to remain seated and asked the man in a wheelchair to wait for the next bus.
What does that mean "legally allowed"?
I doubt any law per se allowed her to remain in that particular seat when someone who could only use that area needed it.
The reporter said she was in violation of a policy. Rest assured had a cop been called, they would have moved the old witch had she still refused to move to another seat.

Also, don't think for a second had she gotten on the bus and someone else had been in that seat, she would not have sat elsewhere, rather than wait in the hot sun for another bus.
Heck, forgetting her nasty personality and stubbornness with people trying to reason, excoriate, and demand she get up, you'd have hoped that some spec of humanity would have kicked in when she saw the guy was going to have to be taken back off the bus and just sit waiting for another bus. But no, it was her world, and everyone else is just lucky to live in it.

This entire affair is symptomatic of people not giving a damn about others. I guess that is fine regarding your average person who just hates life and/or other people.
However having some compassion for those less fortunate should be a minimum requirement to stay in a civilized society.
Even if she was old enough or disabled in some fashion to sit in that area, she was obviously better off than the poor guy in the chair. Common decency (which clearly this woman lacked) dictates if she is ambulatory, she move to let someone on the bus that could only use that area for his chair.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events