Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:35 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm 53, disabled from a failed lumbar fusion with rods and screws. I walk with a cane. Been legally disabled since my late 30's. I would have given up my seat to the man in the wheel chair as I still consider myself able bodied since I don't need a chair yet.

The wheel chair accessible seats should be for wheel chair bound only unless the bus isn't full. If someone is sitting there when someone with a chair needs to ride then whoever is there should have to move, period.
I can't agree with that. What about a person with spine problems or diabetic neuropathy who might be in pain having to stand? Before my laminectomy, I might have appeared able bodied and fine, but the reason I was taking a bus is I was in too much pain to drive to the doctor. No one knows anyone's story and can't go by appearances. You can't start putting people into rankings of disability. I don't know anything about this woman, if she was able bodied she should have stood but in general I would never say wheelchair automatically means another disabled person has to stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:49 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
And to the left of that sign, right above her head was indeed a sign that said that space was reserved for mobility devices with a picture of a wheelchair.
Fact: She was sitting in the seats reserved for seniors and disabled, as was indicated by the sign.

Fact: She is likely both a senior and disabled.

Fact: The sign is in compliance with federal law.

Fact: Even is she was not a senior and/or disabled, there is no law which would require her to give up that seat.

But please don't let any of these facts stop you from making up your own narrative, and being outraged over nothing.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-28-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 12:49 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Oh, give us a break.
No.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,383,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again the exception:

Individuals with disability or elderly persons, sitting in a location designated as priority seating for elderly and handicapped persons are the exception. None of that applies to them. She was sitting in priority seating for elderly and handicapped persons, as is evident by sign on the window.
Why are you ignoring the second part of the (j) rule? Are you maintaining an illogical position simply because, like our prez, you can't admit you're wrong?

The "exception" only applies to the first part, not to the second part. The second part clearly "trumps" the first part.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Did you listen to the obnoxious passenger uproar? Could be a contributing factor as to why she stood her ground.

Whom ever left an anon rep that mental disability isn't an excuse; I feel sorry for you. That could be you or a loved one. No ones exempt from disabilities.
I agree. Well said.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM

965 posts, read 940,660 times
Some states are still different, but.... New to CA this law (this year):

Anyone (elderly or disabled) without a wheelchair must give up seats designated for a wheelchair, period. They may then take the next priority seating. Per ADA civil rights human, and LA Metro had this info immediately when I asked.

There are 2 areas for wheelchairs, with no expected expansion of another seat, but they told me how to look further, and who to contact.

The people I spoke with in regards to civil rights say it is hard to interpret the ever changing information.

Also, dealing with mentally, or psychologically disabled people (who look “fine”) in whatever form are the biggest challenges for many people to grasp.
Hoping we can all have compassion for someone who may have mental or psychological disability.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:44 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Fact: She was sitting in the seats reserved for seniors and disabled, as was indicated by the sign.

Fact: She is likely both a senior and disabled.

Fact: The sign is in compliance with federal law.

Fact: Even is she was not a senior and/or disabled, there is no law which would require her to give up that seat.

But please don't let any of these facts stop you from making up your own narrative, and being outraged over nothing.
True.

Some folks feel justified in drama an outrage; ie road rage ect... ect.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,529,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Some states are still different, but.... New to CA this law (this year):

Anyone (elderly or disabled) without a wheelchair must give up seats designated for a wheelchair, period. They may then take the next priority seating. Per ADA civil rights human, and LA Metro had this info immediately when I asked.

There are 2 areas for wheelchairs, with no expected expansion of another seat, but they told me how to look further, and who to contact.

The people I spoke with in regards to civil rights say it is hard to interpret the ever changing information.

Also, dealing with mentally, or psychologically disabled people (who look “fine”) in whatever form are the biggest challenges for many people to grasp.
Hoping we can all have compassion for someone who may have mental or psychological disability.
So an elderly person with a cane has to give up their seat so that the wheelchair user can fit? How many other seats does that leave for seniors and non wheelchair disabled users?

Old 08-28-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So an elderly person with a cane has to give up their seat so that the wheelchair user can fit? How many other seats does that leave for seniors and non wheelchair disabled users?
If two wheelchairs are on the bus, none.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OK go by age. I work in skilled nursing rehab and we have plenty of people who are disabled in their 50s and 60s as well. There are 85-year-old in fantastic shape and 65-year-olds that can’t walk 10 feet.
I'm talking about her age and the "elderly" requirement for the seat. Not about disability. I'm well aware that young people can be disabled. Good grief. Nobody that you are posting to here is that dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events