Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Did you listen to the obnoxious passenger uproar? Could be a contributing factor as to why she stood her ground.

Whom ever left an anon rep that mental disability isn't an excuse; I feel sorry for you. That could be you or a loved one. No ones exempt from disabilities.
The uproar didn't start until after she was asked to move in SPANISH, and a young man behind her offered her his seat. And she speaks English, she answered "I don't care" at one point.

You're right, no one is exempt from disabilities and the woman should have thought have that, anyone half way decent would have thought "that could be me some day in that wheelchair", and moved, all she had to do was move a few feet.

I am glad people got vocal with her, tired of the sheep who do absolutely nothing when they witness a wrong doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Fact: She was sitting in the seats reserved for seniors and disabled, as was indicated by the sign.

Fact: She is likely both a senior and disabled.

Fact: The sign is in compliance with federal law.

Fact: Even is she was not a senior and/or disabled, there is no law which would require her to give up that seat.

But please don't let any of these facts stop you from making up your own narrative, and being outraged over nothing.

Over nothing? Tell that to the guy in the wheelchair who was waiting in 90 plus degree heat for a bus at a stop with no covering, sitting out in the hot sun. Bus comes, and he can't get on it, probably at least another 30 minutes for the next one.

No big deal right? You enjoy sitting out in 90 plus weather and no shade? I don't, and I think most people would.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:39 PM

965 posts, read 942,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So an elderly person with a cane has to give up their seat so that the wheelchair user can fit? How many other seats does that leave for seniors and non wheelchair disabled users?
It depends on the bus. There would be “priority seats” in the front as well, though possibly without extra space.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:39 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,868,500 times
[Q[UOTE=Cloudy Dayz;52933743]Fact: She was sitting in the seats reserved for seniors and disabled, as was indicated by the sign.

Fact: She is likely both a senior and disabled.

Fact: The sign is in compliance with federal law.

Fact: Even is she was not a senior and/or disabled, there is no law which would require her to give up that seat.

But please don't let any of these facts stop you from making up your own narrative, and being outraged over nothing. [/quote]

Just because, in the absence of a law requiring it, YOU wouldn't give up your seat for the disabled, a pregnant woman, etc.....

Fact: Those with a disabilities will always encounter someone with a more serious disability than theirs.

Fact: The elderly can be rude and entitled, too.

That old bat would only have had to move her indignant arse to accommodate the poor man in a wheelchair. Instead, he had to get off that bus, and wait for another.

It truly does take all kinds.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM

5,336 posts, read 8,565,618 times
I wonder if a sign that says "Wheelchairs take priority" for folding seats would work.

Obvi not a solution to this situation, but to help people understand "rules" of the folding seats and give driver's something to point to in a case like this.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,214,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations at 49 C.F.R. Section 37.167(j)

I will quote it for you. She was 100% within her legal rights.

I wonder if the wheelchair person was a woman if the outcome would've been different.

I don't doubt that she's a senior, however, she does have a "different" indoctrination disability IMHO.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 PM

1,065 posts, read 600,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just unbelievable, the sense of entitlement - apparently, not only millenials can be blamed for 'taking care of numero uno' since this is an older lady. Video of incident, including the bus driver attempting to reason with her, in the link:

https://ktla.com/2018/08/22/video-of...parks-outrage/

If you saw this, how would you react?
Smile at her, hope she's feeling better. Assume her disability is unseen. Maybe hand her a five dollar bill good naturedly so the other gentleman can board.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Your statement is an effort to argue endlessly based purely on speculation, not facts in evidence.

Regardless, even if the woman did have some unseen disability, she was clearly not limited to that one spot on the bus.
Clearly the other guy clearly was.

Since public transportation is there to try and meet the needs of all citizens (especially the poor and disabled), those needs should be titrated based on greater needs for some, and everyone still gets to use the system.
To assert that an able-bodied person with some minor malady (or age related criteria), can deny access to the one spot a severally disabled person needs to use a service, is the antithesis of what the ADA was created for in the first place.

If you cannot see that, you are either dense or being intentionally obtuse.

`

Bingo. The standard modus operandi of said poster in most areas.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 PM

8,076 posts, read 8,398,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So an elderly person with a cane has to give up their seat so that the wheelchair user can fit? How many other seats does that leave for seniors and non wheelchair disabled users?

Other seats were available. Even if they were all taken, an able-bodied person would likely have given their seat to her, if she would have difficulty standing. If the bus is packed to the gills, then nobody gets on, disabled or not (you don't have to get off the bus to make room for a disabled person).

Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm talking about her age and the "elderly" requirement for the seat. Not about disability. I'm well aware that young people can be disabled. Good grief. Nobody that you are posting to here is that dumb.
Seriously? She's said that she's been in that situation with a back problem. Taking the bus because she can't drive. Keep up or zip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events