Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 04:53 PM

79,159 posts, read 61,300,923 times

Advertisements

I'd have just loved to see someone offer her a $20, watch her pop up out of her seat and get the whole bus moving.

In all honesty, I don't know her malfunction so who am I to judge.

Anyone posting here has likely had realtives with dementia or other issues so perhaps while we strive to find a bad guy in these things there just isn't one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:01 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,420,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just unbelievable, the sense of entitlement - apparently, not only millenials can be blamed for 'taking care of numero uno' since this is an older lady. Video of incident, including the bus driver attempting to reason with her, in the link:

https://ktla.com/2018/08/22/video-of...parks-outrage/

If you saw this, how would you react?
Bad link. Just an ad over n over...

Old 08-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 21 days ago)

36,116 posts, read 18,388,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Bad link. Just an ad over n over...
I can view it -

Old 08-24-2018, 05:08 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,420,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I didn't realize she had a shopping cart. It is too bad someone didn't grab it and start to move it toward whatever direction they wanted her to go in. You know she would have hopped up in an effort to grab it, then someone else could have just popped into the seat until the man in the wheelchair could be secured there.

`
I couldn’t see the video, but was there really another place where she could have put her shopping cart? Maybe that’s why she wouldn’t move.

I was in the doctor’s office yesterday and saw a skinny little guy trying to get a man in a wheelchair out the exterior door. A number of men were sitting close by and no one offered to help. That surprised me. I was too far away to get there in time to help the guy, or I would have. Sad what our world has come to.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,469,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd have just loved to see someone offer her a $20, watch her pop up out of her seat and get the whole bus moving. .
I guess they didn't want her to move badly enough.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM

22,703 posts, read 24,777,812 times
Lots of crummy people on the bus.

I used to drive the city-bus in Seattle. One route I was driving had a lady who was totally blind, she had a seeing-eye-dog. This old Dude would keep calling to the dog, really distracting the dog and ticking the lady off. She asked him to stop, told him it was a service-dog. I finally had to talk to him, like he was some sort of child, just basically telling him to knock-it-off.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:20 PM

15,651 posts, read 9,327,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What does that mean "legally allowed"?
I doubt any law per se allowed her to remain in that particular seat when someone who could only use that area needed it.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations at 49 C.F.R. Section 37.167(j)

I will quote it for you. She was 100% within her legal rights.

Quote:
(j)

(1) When an individual with a disability enters a vehicle, and because of a disability, the individual needs to sit in a seat or occupy a wheelchair securement location, the entity shall ask the following persons to move in order to allow the individual with a disability to occupy the seat or securement location:

(i) Individuals, except other individuals with a disability or elderly persons, sitting in a location designated as priority seating for elderly and handicapped persons (or other seat as necessary);

(2) This requirement applies to light rail, rapid rail, and commuter rail systems only to the extent practicable.

(3) The entity is not required to enforce the request that other passengers move from priority seating areas or wheelchair securement locations.

(4) In all signage designating priority seating areas for elderly persons and persons with disabilities, or designating wheelchair securement areas, the entity shall include language informing persons sitting in these locations that they should comply with requests by transit provider personnel to vacate their seats to make room for an individual with a disability. This requirement applies to all fixed route vehicles when they are acquired by the entity or to new or replacement signage in the entity's existing fixed route vehicles.

[ 56 FR 45621, Sept. 6, 1991, as amended at 58 FR 63103, Nov. 30, 1993]

Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM

16,828 posts, read 8,811,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd have just loved to see someone offer her a $20, watch her pop up out of her seat and get the whole bus moving.

In all honesty, I don't know her malfunction so who am I to judge.

Anyone posting here has likely had realtives with dementia or other issues so perhaps while we strive to find a bad guy in these things there just isn't one.
WRONG

Dementia or other related brain disorders are no excuse to do anything you want without consequences. I've know people who had such maladies and they'd be mortified to have acted that way.

This is not some innocent victim who didn't have a clue. She obviously uses the bus to get to the market, was able to ambulate with a cart, bring it on the bus, and be headed back home.
As I pointed out in a previous post, had she gotten on the bus and someone was in that seat, she would not have chosen to get off the bus and waited for another. No, she would have picked another seat, just like the ones being offered to her.
Instead once she had that seat she decided no one was going to move her.

It is too bad the cops were not called to make her move or be arrested. Ingrates like that need to be taught a lesson, otherwise they will continue to think they can get away with anything.

`

Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM

16,828 posts, read 8,811,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations at 49 C.F.R. Section 37.167(j)

The ADA accounts for civil remedies, and even if "elderly people" are entitled to better seating (which I agree with BTW), they should be required to move to make room for people in greater need like the disabled.

Frankly, I am not even sure what constitutes an elderly person, but clearly it was not designed to give them priority over wheelchair bound people, just because of their age alone.
Sure as we all get older the body breaks down and we have aches & pains, but this woman (despite whatever issue she may have) clearly was capable of moving to another seat under her own power. Yet she stubbornly decided to stay put, and left a poor physically disabled man on the side of the road to wait for another bus.

As it stands I would have figured out some way to get her out of that seat without physically molesting her. (God help some able-bodied man doing that if I were there)
I'd probably take her cart and move it toward the area where another seat was open, and the minute she got up to retrieve it, have someone waiting to sit in it until the driver could secure the guy in the chair in that area.
At least there were people trying to get her to move. I just wish someone had figured out a way to do it.

`

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,469,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

I have seen some able-bodied elderly people refuse to give up their seat to a young person with a disability. I think that's shameful of them, but I suppose they are within their legal rights.

But I'd also be curious to find out what is defined as "elderly". There is no age given. I don't consider people in their 60s to be elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events