Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 01:01 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I would definitely Wonder out loud to myself, why in the world would a elderly disable woman move for a bus load of hostile irate passengers yelling at the top of theirs lungs at her. Somebody else was trying to persuade her to move using common decency for theirs handicapped elders which was the proper thing to do instead of using threats and curses. Try talking to your elders in a calm voice offering to move her pull along cart and assisting her in any other way necessary?
It's a fair thing to wonder, and exactly why we learn how to "calmly diffuse" in my line of work. Just recently there was a patron blocking the adjacent computer with a cart, since she's (we believe) homeless, and likes to keep her belongings nearby. The patron next to her got angry over this, and before we knew it they were in a shouting match - and the man was threatening to call police on her. My supervisor and I spoke CALMLY with both parties, and successfully diffused the situation. If we'd raised our voices to match theirs, it only would have escalated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
I betcha on another bus with 100% occupied seats by seniors/disabled, she'd be sitting in another nonsenior/disabled seat.

She showed NO compassion for another visibly disabled person which was easily remedied by just moving a FEW INCHES or FEET. She was able to get in the bus, she could move that "minuscule" a distance within an arm's length more or less.

But the disabled on that wheelchair was a man and I'm wondering of potential actual hatred by her of him because he's a man - in other words, she could be of the cold feminist persuasion. I don't know this obviously, but IMHO it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's a fair thing to wonder, and exactly why we learn how to "calmly diffuse" in my line of work. Just recently there was a patron blocking the adjacent computer with a cart, since she's (we believe) homeless, and likes to keep her belongings nearby. The patron next to her got angry over this, and before we knew it they were in a shouting match - and the man was threatening to call police on her. My supervisor and I spoke CALMLY with both parties, and successfully diffused the situation. If we'd raised our voices to match theirs, it only would have escalated.

Yes that's exactly. what i was trying to communicate...

Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
People keep pointing out repeatedly that the guy said "take my seat" and she ignored him, but it was stated in the video that she doesn't speak english. I'm guessing she didn't understand half of what people were yelling at her.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
People keep pointing out repeatedly that the guy said "take my seat" and she ignored him, but it was stated in the video that she doesn't speak english. I'm guessing she didn't understand half of what people were yelling at her.

I guess then she was also blind in that she couldn't see that disabled man in the wheelchair.
I don't give her any slack unless she was physically crippled which she is not.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I guess then she was also blind in that she couldn't see that disabled man in the wheelchair.
I don't give her any slack unless she was physically crippled which she is not.
Yeah I can't say why she didn't move initially. Possibly she *is* disabled in some way and wasn't able to explain why she didn't feel like she had to move, then people started yelling at her, then she just shut down? As a young, healthy looking person with a disability I've been berated for not giving up a seat on busy public transit or yelled at as a selfish lying b*tch (yes, way more than once) when I announced I needed someone to vacate a seat for me, and my first reaction isn't to explain myself. It's panic-attack inducing. (Note, I've never refused to move further back or whatever if there was another seat available for me, but I most certainly have refused to move if it would have left me standing, since I physically can't do that). Anyway, I can only imagine how it would feel if a bunch of people started screaming at me in a language I couldn't understand in that circumstance.

But my original comment was addressing a specific point that I keep seeing people bring up over and over, not why she didn't move in the first place. That would be 100% speculation (the above is 100% speculation, as is your assertion that she isn't crippled. I know this because to look at me, you would never know my legs literally can't hold me up for more than 30 seconds), since we have no explanation from her and nobody can tell ANYTHING by just looking at her.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
On a side note yet relevant to the bus industry.
Our local community bus is funded largely by a state funded senior community tax disbursement. Every year they win the award . Part of it includes that a cetrain percentage of riders be senior at the discount rate. It in essences brings awareness in contract that the bus line would not be in business if not for this additional funding. Yet I have ridden local buses and I am flabbergasted with some regular elder wheelbound riders who are told by the driver...Sorry ! You'll have to wait for the next bus. Never mind that they are in the excessive heat and waited 15 mins for that bus to arrive!!! Did you know we all carry international sign language? Point, wave, gestures can alert someone. This lady needed to be pointed to another seat. Yes I'm bias as I have witnessed the second class indifference delved to the handicapped.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
I think she had selective English because she said a few words pretty clear that she wasn't moving. She also had to tell the driver where she was going no?

We have to remember that riders in the bus saw her get on with her cart. I can't believe no one has found any comments from them especially since they were yelling at her. You'd think some would have seen the story all over.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think she had selective English because she said a few words pretty clear that she wasn't moving. She also had to tell the driver where she was going no?
I've never told a bus driver where I'm going. Not once in 40 years.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

We have to remember that riders in the bus saw her get on with her cart. I can't believe no one has found any comments from them especially since they were yelling at her. You'd think some would have seen the story all over.
No, you don't have to tell the driver where you're going. You just get on, and just before your stop, you press the button on the pole, or pull the chord, or whatever system the bus has that will notify the driver you're requesting the next stop. Usually there's a big digital sign in front that lights up with "stop requested" or something like that to let everyone else know the bus will stop and the next stop, and that they don't additionally have to push the button or touch the tape or pull the chord.

But yes, you're right, it seems she spoke a pretty fair amount of English to be saying "I don't care" to whoever was asking her in English to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events