Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, most normal people don’t take shopping carts on busses. I think changing seats meant she wasn’t within touching distance of it and she didn’t want to leave it to change seats.

Many elderly people(and especially women) go grocery shopping and take buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 02:52 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, most normal people don’t take shopping carts on busses. I think changing seats meant she wasn’t within touching distance of it and she didn’t want to leave it to change seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

This post replied to does not state women don't take buses to grocery shop.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

I think they meant to say, many elderly people do take shopping carts on the bus. Which I agree with.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

What's so confusing for you?

That poster said most normal people don't take shopping carts on buses. This wasn't a shopping cart with four wheels that the supermarkets provide.

It was the kind someone who either walks or takes mass transit uses to get from the store after shopping to home.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,876,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Of course everyone does not need a chaperone, nor did I suggest that. There are all sorts and degrees of mental disabilities, just as there are all sorts of physical disabilities. A person missing a hand is not in the same situation as one who needs a wheelchair. A person who talks to an invisible companion is not the same as one who can't understand speech at all.

I only take issue with the idea that this woman's alleged mental illness (or possible physical disability) was so severe that she qualifies as a "disabled person" who can legitimately claim the only spot in a bus that a wheelchair can be secured in. A number of people both in this thread and in the video stated that she had as much right to take that one spot as the man in a wheelchair, because of her "disability."

But if her physical disability is of that magnitude, she couldn't have gotten on the bus at all without assistance. And if her mental disability is of a similar degree--which I doubt--then I question whether she should be out alone. That's all.
Yes, I know about disability. Did you know a person with severe depesion can be diabled? Medicare is also for disabled, physically or mentally -not just seniors. When a mentally ill person is on Medicare their card doesn't indicate why. You cant see mental disability, you don't get to look at the passenger and determine her extent. Yes they have every right and don't need anyone's permission to be outside. You might try researching this, or Google, seriously. The person next to you could have schizophrenia, it's no one's business.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:46 PM

14,347 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You cant see mental disability, you don't get to look at the passenger and determine her extent. Yes they have every right and don't need anyone's permission to be outside. You might try researching this, or Google, seriously. The person next to you could have schizophrenia, it's no one's business.
It becomes other people's business at the precise point where it infringes on other people's rights.

There was a man in a wheelchair who needed one certain seat; there were other empty seats on the bus that the woman in question could have taken. She is capable of walking, she is capable of shopping apparently, she is capable of functioning out in public alone, but somehow her disability is so severe that she is NOT capable of changing seats and she deserves the wheelchair-capable seat as much as the man who is actually in a wheelchair? At least that is what some people (including the pastor in the video) seem to be saying, but to me, that does not add up.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
What's so confusing for you?

That poster said most normal people don't take shopping carts on buses. This wasn't a shopping cart with four wheels that the supermarkets provide.

It was the kind someone who either walks or takes mass transit uses to get from the store after shopping to home.
Then why didn't you say that the first time??

Old 09-02-2018, 04:07 PM

50,913 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Most don't take the carts. I'm actually surprised the bus driver let it on.

I just saw the other post, I did think it was an actual shopping cart.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes, I know about disability. Did you know a person with severe depesion can be diabled? Medicare is also for disabled, physically or mentally -not just seniors. When a mentally ill person is on Medicare their card doesn't indicate why. You cant see mental disability, you don't get to look at the passenger and determine her extent. Yes they have every right and don't need anyone's permission to be outside. You might try researching this, or Google, seriously. The person next to you could have schizophrenia, it's no one's business.
It's not getting through.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It becomes other people's business at the precise point where it infringes on other people's rights.

There was a man in a wheelchair who needed one certain seat; there were other empty seats on the bus that the woman in question could have taken. She is capable of walking, she is capable of shopping apparently, she is capable of functioning out in public alone, but somehow her disability is so severe that she is NOT capable of changing seats and she deserves the wheelchair-capable seat as much as the man who is actually in a wheelchair? At least that is what some people (including the pastor in the video) seem to be saying, but to me, that does not add up.
The transit system needs some revisions, imo.
Its her belief shes falls within current set stands. Other than our personal opins on the topic, we have no way of knowing. We all agree refusing to move a small distance isnt normal. Alternative reason for refusals been given; whether they're acceped or not's everyone choose. I do credit you for not stooping to name calling and various other unnecessary commentary here in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events