Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You don't get it. She was sitting in the "other" area "RESERVED FOR SENIORS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES". That was her. There was nothing there about it being reserved only for wheelchairs.
OMG. How many times do I have to say the same thing. I am posting NYC's signs as an example of how signs should be so that this type of incident doesn't happen again in the future. NYC has three sets of signs. One set is for seats reserved for those with disabilities. The next set is a type of priority seating, which you can sit in if you're not disabled, but you understand you should move if someone needs the seat.

The last sign, which I posted above, is for the wheelchair area to make it clear that everyone, despite being a little disabled or moderately disabled or whatever, if they are not in a wheelchair and a wheelchair passenger boards, they will have to make way.

I guess you will probably post some kind of idiotic response again. Go for it, this is the last time I'm trying to explain this to you.

I am fully aware what kind of signs were on the California bus, and yes, I do know the obstinate woman was fully within her rights not to move. Did I not already say that? Should I repeat myself again?

I AM POSTING BECAUSE THE SIGNS SHOULD BE CHANGED FOR THE WHEELCHAIR AREA. NYC can set a good example. Yes, I'm shouting because nothing else seems to be getting through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the NY sign is a great idea. If there is only ONE seat on a bus that is wheelchair-accessible, why would you not want it to be very clear that if a a wheelchair user boards, they take priority over anyone else (disabled, elderly, or not) who may have plunked themselves down there first.

"Seating for seniors and disabled" is so vague that when unfortunate situations like the one on the LA bus arise, no one can do anything because the person who refuses to make room for the wheelchair is "within their rights."
Exactly. I'm glad you understand and appreciate my suggestion. I think often cities can learn from other cities. In this case, NYC has a process and signage that works.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Toronto has a similar sign.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:11 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OMG. How many times do I have to say the same thing. I am posting NYC's signs as an example of how signs should be so that this type of incident doesn't happen again in the future. NYC has three sets of signs. One set is for seats reserved for those with disabilities. The next set is a type of priority seating, which you can sit in if you're not disabled, but you understand you should move if someone needs the seat.

The last sign, which I posted above, is for the wheelchair area to make it clear that everyone, despite being a little disabled or moderately disabled or whatever, if they are not in a wheelchair and a wheelchair passenger boards, they will have to make way.

I guess you will probably post some kind of idiotic response again. Go for it, this is the last time I'm trying to explain this to you.

I am fully aware what kind of signs were on the California bus, and yes, I do know the obstinate woman was fully within her rights not to move. Did I not already say that? Should I repeat myself again?

I AM POSTING BECAUSE THE SIGNS SHOULD BE CHANGED FOR THE WHEELCHAIR AREA. NYC can set a good example. Yes, I'm shouting because nothing else seems to be getting through.
The sign should not be changed. There are other disabled people, other than those in wheelchairs that need to be accommodated also. You can't expect disabled seniors to give up their seats and stand to accommodate wheelchair passengers. Some of them would not be able to stand, and would have to get off the bus. They have a right of access to public transit also.

Do you really think that a transit system the size of LA has not already thought about all the aspects of who should get what seats and what the best signage should be?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 PM

14,340 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
The sign should not be changed. There are other disabled people, other than those in wheelchairs that need to be accommodated also. You can't expect disabled seniors to give up their seats and stand to accommodate wheelchair passengers. Some of them would not be able to stand, and would have to get off the bus. They have a right of access to public transit also.
No one said they have to STAND. There can be a disabled/senior SECTION, in which one seat folds up to accommodate a wheelchair if necessary. If there is no one in a wheelchair on board, any senior/disabled person can sit there. But if a person in a wheelchair boards the bus, a person sitting in that one seat would have to yield the seat by standing and moving A STEP OR TWO to another seat before sitting down again.

I'm sorry to have to yell, but this is really not that hard to understand.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Toronto has a similar sign.
This from the TTC website. The regulations are exactly the same in Toronto as LA.

Quote:
Priority seating for seniors and persons with disabilities
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 (AODA), TTC now provides Priority Seating on all of its vehicles, designated for use by persons with disabilities. You must give up these seats for a person with a disability or has a physical limitation requiring priority seating. A customer with a disability occupying a priority seat is not required to move for another customer with a disability. In this situation, use of these seats is on a first-come, first-served basis. You are not required to give up your seat that is not designated priority seating. TTC encourages customer co-operation particularly as it relates to giving up seating for people with disabilities, elderly customers, and pregnant women.
Riding the Bus

Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No one said they have to STAND. There can be a disabled/senior SECTION, in which one seat folds up to accommodate a wheelchair if necessary. If there is no one in a wheelchair on board, any senior/disabled person can sit there. But if a person in a wheelchair boards the bus, a person sitting in that one seat would have to yield the seat by standing and moving A STEP OR TWO to another seat before sitting down again.

I'm sorry to have to yell, but this is really not that hard to understand.
The seats are first come first serve. Non-wheelchair disabled passengers have an equal right to access to public transit as those in wheelchairs. You do not ask one disabled passenger to give up a seat for another disabled passenger. That is just wrong, and it is also a violation of the law.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 PM

14,340 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
This from the TTC website. The regulations are exactly the same in Toronto as LA.

Riding the Bus
Those regulations are very confusingly worded. The title references "Seniors" along with 'Persons with disabilities," but the text does not. Can seniors take the priority seating for the disable and refuse to yield it, or not?

And how do those regulations accord with the Priority Seating sign posted above, which states that the seat in question must be yielded to "people using wheelchairs or other mobility devices"? A number of people have disabilities which do NOT require a wheelchair/mobility device. Are they required to yield, or not?

The whole point is that the standards need to be made clearer, not left so vaguely worded that a cranky but able-bodied 65-year-old can refuse to yield the only wheelchair-accessible seat in the entire bus to an actual wheelchair user.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 PM

NYC mta site:

“Certain bus seats are reserved for people who use wheelchairs and must be relinquished upon the bus operator's request. These seats are clearly marked. “

Old 09-14-2018, 09:07 PM

I have a love hate relationship with NYC but sometimes, like in this case, they really get things right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events