Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Lord knows I love to drink -- and I drink more than I probably should -- but I'm in the camp that doesn't really understand why it's necessary to drink alcohol while walking around Disneyland.
You won't be able to drink alcohol while walking around. It will only be served at this one restaurant, and drinks aren't made to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would bet the alcohol companies played a big part in this.
I can see a "Malt Disney" with Dumbo's Pink Elephants on the label.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:23 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
Ok, I'm a pollyanna or worse. But I mourn this passing of normalcy, life without a drink in hand. Somehow, well, i don't know how to say it, Disney-Worlds seemed untainted, wholesome. Yes. wholesome. not a word used much in todays culture. so call me a throwback or worse, it won't be the same. or as safe i fear. something else gone by the wayside, another sort of dream dead and gone. Another celebration where intact original intent gets moved to oblivion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just don't think that is a very good idea and im sure poor walt is turning in his tomb over what they have done to his beloved kingdoms . enough said .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would bet the alcohol companies played a big part in this.
I feel like the mixing of alcohol into so many scenarios has some similarity to how cigarettes were so present and socially accepted in the 1960's or so. People smoked on airplanes, hospitals, in offices, and teachers had lounges where they could smoke. Heck, even the Flinstones starred in a tobacco commercial and there was a commercial saying that more doctors recommended Camels than any other cigarette (you can easily find these on Youtube). Now people think this seems ridiculous and certainly secondhand smoke raises some concerns, but alcohol isn't without it's serious side effects either.

Alcohol (and even marijuana nowadays) seems to be the "new" cigarettes of the 1960's, socially and politically (i.e. microbreweries are applauded for economic development, fewer restrictions on alcohol advertising, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Good pun!

Old 09-03-2018, 12:31 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I feel like the mixing of alcohol into so many scenarios has some similarity to how cigarettes were so present and socially accepted in the 1960's or so. People smoked on airplanes, hospitals, in offices, and teachers had lounges where they could smoke. Heck, even the Flinstones starred in a tobacco commercial and there was a commercial saying that more doctors recommended Camels than any other cigarette (you can easily find these on Youtube). Now people think this seems ridiculous and certainly secondhand smoke raises some concerns, but alcohol isn't without it's serious side effects either.

Alcohol (and even marijuana nowadays) seems to be the "new" cigarettes of the 1960's, socially and politically (i.e. microbreweries are applauded for economic development, fewer restrictions on alcohol advertising, etc.).

Good pun!

Alcohol never went away, it was just as big post WWII (if not bigger) than years after prohibition ended.

In case you missed it booze was everywhere; in films, on television, adverts, etc....

Even on family television sitcoms usually one of the first things the man of the house did upon arriving home was head for the bar. That is if the wife didn't already have his drink already made. Samantha Stephens may have taken awhile to learn some mortal female domestic chores such as cooking, but she could manage a martini very well.

Consumption of booze on television and or films has actually dropped off a bit since the 1970's and 1980's. This thanks in large parts to efforts by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and other such organizations.

Reason tobacco has been so harshly treated as opposed to alcohol is simply one is far more dangerous to health right out of the box.

The medical community and tobacco industry knew fully well during run up and through WWII that cigarette smoking (tobacco) causes cancer and has other nasty health risks including addiction to nicotine. But that was suppressed both out of avarice and the war effort. Quite simply those in power bought into the lines that cigarette smoking "calmed nerves", "reduced hunger pangs", etc... and all things that would boost military morale. As such the things were handed out like candy to enlisted and anyone remotely attached to military including females. This was unfortunate as previously many American females didn't smoke for a variety of reasons.

Long story short by the 1970's rates of cancer and other diseases linked to smoking tobacco and or second hand smoke couldn't be ignored. The rest as they say is history.

Booze yes, does have serious health risks, but much depends upon how much and often it is consumed and of what sort. Even the medical community cannot seem to reach a consensus. First we were all told that a few glasses of wine (red preferably) per week was actually a good thing. All those French and other Europeans who live long lives basically downing wine from time they are off mother's milk and so forth. Now we're being told *any* consumption of alcohol is a bad thing.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post

It is rather ironic that EuroDisney has been serving booze for decades now; they had no choice. The French along with many other Europeans aren't going to stand for a "dry" vacation or amusement spot.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/12/b...g-alcohol.html

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/di...is-bars-guide/

Old 09-03-2018, 12:40 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Fair enough BugsyPal, you made some good points (RE: Post #44). That does seem to run in cycles. It seems like alcohol got treated with kid gloves more so 30 years ago or so when the MADD era came in and drinking ages got raised. It seems to be headed in a free flowing direction now.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Fair enough BugsyPal, you made some good points (RE: Post #44). That does seem to run in cycles. It seems like alcohol got treated with kid gloves more so 30 years ago or so when the MADD era came in and drinking ages got raised. It seems to be headed in a free flowing direction now.

Think major problem with booze now is coming from two areas; young females and or males heavily binge drinking.

Again you don't really see that much drinking in films, television or other media compared to say 1970's. OTOH college age and young adults are seemingly living only to drink and doing so very heavily.

Here in NYC we call that sort of behavior "Bros" and "Bro-Hoes" since it is heavily associated with college life and in particular Greek/frat/sorority life.

Quite simply young adults seem to start binge drinking in college and keep at it after graduation. This is having very dire and or severe health and safety consequences.

Young women in particular eager or whatever to prove they can go toe to toe with the guys are downing far too much booze and end up drunk or worse. You can guess what happens next.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2018/08/...s-alcohol.html

https://www.newsweek.com/young-peopl...ggests-1067187

Old 09-03-2018, 01:24 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's just called keeping up with market demands.

Unlike Jerry Seinfeld's assertion, there is now something that IS fun for the whole family!! Disneyland with booze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGaW9dprXc

isn't pot legal in California, they could incorporate it into Amsterdam Village

Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Oh this ought to be fun. The MS 13 folks from South Central buzzed on alcohol. Look out Snow White and Minnie Mouse.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:41 PM

224 posts, read 356,902 times
Won't someone please think of the children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events