Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times

Advertisements

Most of you clearly know very little about diamonds.

Diamonds DO appreciate... simply as a matter of inflation, they will appreciate. My mother's wedding ring cost about $1000 back in the 70's, now it's worth about $13000, that's about double the rate of inflation alone. My own wife's ring was about $12k 10 years ago, now it's appraised at almost $25k.

Sounds to me this woman is just bitter. The agreement for her to finish her dissertation and then move out and give the ring back that she apparently backed out of even though he was paying the rent and bills during this time... any jury is going to award the plaintiff the ring, and since her own father was part of that agreement, I don't see how she's got a chance of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
"The ring Strasser financed with his savings, two credit cards, and a $30,000 personal loan..."

Geez...if that's all it takes, I could take out a $30K loan too, max out two of my cards and throw in some cash and buy a $100K ring too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

Diamonds DO appreciate... simply as a matter of inflation, they will appreciate. My mother's wedding ring cost about $1000 back in the 70's, now it's worth about $13000, that's about double the rate of inflation alone. My own wife's ring was about $12k 10 years ago, now it's appraised at almost $25k.
Try and sell it for $25K. You'll come to find out how optimistic those appraised values really are. They are replacement cost for insurance purposes and not a reflection of real market value.

My wife's ring appraised for 3X what I paid day after I purchased it. Probably the best return I've ever gotten with any sort of "investment" and made me wonder why I just don't quit my job and just flip rings I buy. Then I remember when my wife sold her ring from her previous marriage and got raked over the coals for it. So much for appraised value.

My insurance company was more than happy to insure the ring for the appraised value vs what I actually paid.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-27-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

Sounds to me this woman is just bitter. The agreement for her to finish her dissertation and then move out and give the ring back that she apparently backed out of even though he was paying the rent and bills during this time... any jury is going to award the plaintiff the ring, and since her own father was part of that agreement, I don't see how she's got a chance of winning.

Yeah they appreciate on paper. Now try selling it. You’ll never see those amounts.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
The ring should go back to the lawyer who paid for it. I don't think it should matter who broke off the engagement, just that the marriage did not take place.

It is beyond me who could possibly want such a hugely vulgar and ugly ring anyway, but that's my opinion. I would be really embarrassed to be lugging that thing around on my finger - for what purpose? To show off and emphasize your social status and economic worth? Yuck.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:21 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Geez...if that's all it takes, I could take out a $30K loan too, max out two of my cards and throw in some cash and buy a $100K ring too.

Try and sell it for $25K. You'll come to find out how optimistic those appraised values really are. They are replacement cost for insurance purposes and not a reflection of real market value.

My wife's ring appraised for 3X what I paid day after I purchased it. Probably the best return I've ever gotten with any sort of "investment" and made me wonder why I just don't quit my job and just flip rings I buy. Then I remember when my wife sold her ring from her previous marriage and got raked over the coals for it. So much for appraised value.

My insurance company was more than happy to insure the ring for the appraised value vs what I actually paid.
Yeah, my $3,000 ring from my 1st marriage got me $100

Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
The mineral ,gem are worth cents. Where they get inflated is from you the public buyer. How much can someone make off of you. Along with the jeweler who has to break/cut the stone. That really is an art. The setting plays another part. But no...its true value is not near what folks gloat in paying.

When I concede .withdraw from a contract (which what a proposal is),each party goes back to their original stance prior to. Meaning reset.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:

Diamonds DO appreciate... simply as a matter of inflation, they will appreciate. My mother's wedding ring cost about $1000 back in the 70's, now it's worth about $13000, that's about double the rate of inflation alone. My own wife's ring was about $12k 10 years ago, now it's appraised at almost $25k..
Agree. I was surprised to read that someone thinks diamond jewelry depreciate in value the same way a car does. Also, some people buy jewelry, at least partly, for investment purposes.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Diamonds are BO-ringggg. If I had $100K to spend on a stone, I wouldn't waste it on a diamond. sia.
I agree, and I'm glad my husband does, too. He surprised me with an emerald engagement ring, because it matched my eyes. How romantic! I still love it 32 years later. But my eyes are hazel.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:53 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
To the OP, I believe the man should get the ring back since they did not get married. The only exception I would make is if he is guilty of cheating or other such indiscretion which ended the relationship. There is little to go on in the articles but it doesn't sound like it was something like that.

Regarding the ring, he will unlikely get the $100,000 back that he originally paid for the ring. Diamonds do not appreciate in less than a year's time. Those who are sharing stories are talking about inflation and the cost of purchasing a ring 20 years ago vs. today. Also, the insurance value is rarely the actual cost you paid when purchasing the ring; its the replacement cost taking this into account.

I've been in a position of selling an engagement ring, four years after it was purchased (three years after I got married). It was nowhere near $100k but it was 2 carats of very high quality. I received approximately 65% of what my late first husband paid for it.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:23 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Should have gone with the $29.95 fake version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events