Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,157,005 times

Advertisements

Terrible thing to do. A DD store here has had to run people away from soliciting customers at the driveup. I bought a couple of meals for a guy who hung out there in the parking lot.

I waited tables and tended bar in a restaurant in the 80's. Back then, solicitors were a real issue. They would come right into our place and start soliciting customers at tables; to buy things or donate to something. A pushy young guy came in one day and got started. I told him to leave and he kept right on, without a letup. I got him by the shirt collar and walked him out.

The owner tolerated 1 solicitor who came mainly to see him and us employees. He had sort of useful stuff that some of us could use and he came at slow times. Didn't disrupt the business much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,024 times
Fired from Dunkin Donuts.....Oh my what are they going to do now? lol If all they aspire for is fast food jobs, they had a new one the next day by lunch.

Obviously this guy had been told numerous times not to be sleeping in the restaurant. Rather than call the police and have him arrested for trespassing, they did him a favor and just dumped some water on him and told him to stop trying to sleep there. Social media is going to destroy our society with all the over sensationalization of all of these little incidents being blown way out of proportion. They poured water on a bum that keeps coming in and trying to sleep in a booth resulting in customers leaving or complaining. No big deal, who really cares?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 AM

14,427 posts, read 14,348,816 times
[quote=dijkstra;53271690]Fired from Dunkin Donuts.....Oh my what are they going to do now? lol If all they aspire for is fast food jobs, they had a new one the next day by lunch.

Obviously this guy had been told numerous times not to be sleeping in the restaurant. Rather than call the police and have him arrested for trespassing, they did him a favor and just dumped some water on him and told him to stop trying to sleep there. Social media is going to destroy our society with all the over sensationalization of all of these little incidents being blown way out of proportion. They poured water on a bum that keeps coming in and trying to sleep in a booth resulting in customers leaving or complaining. No big deal, who really cares?[/QUOTE]

I suggest you go back and read the replies on this thread. A large number of us--I believe the majority--do care.

What's a little water? What's roughing the guy up a bit? How about pouring condiments and ketchup on him? How about a few punches and slaps to "teach him" never to come back? Maybe it would be all right to just beat the crap out of him? After all bums are such a big problem for important business like Dunkin Donuts. Heck, set him on fire. That will teach him or maybe it will just mean one less bum.

No, he wasn't set on fire, but my point is that once you allow this kind of conduct, you set up a slippery slope. Homeless people are no less human than you and I are. I'm sure they present a problem for businesses and customers both. However, the solution is to call the police. Its not to take the law into your own hands. Whether its a pitcher of ice water or setting someone on fire, the act conveys that homeless people are somehow less than you and I are and are not deserving of civilized treatment. That is something that the community cannot tolerate.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Watch the video. NO he did not refuse to leave. He left as soon as they threw the water on him.

Well then, throwing water on him worked. And you saw the video for the entire day so you know he was asked politely to leave and went promptly? It says he had been asked repeatedly to leave, and he was obviously still there..

Old 10-04-2018, 10:13 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
These Guys are idiots and deserve Prosecution imo.
Some of you were for the guys getting arrested at Starbucks, but now you are sticking up for the homeless guy

Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
These Guys are idiots and deserve Prosecution imo.
Some of you were for the guys getting arrested at Starbucks, but now you are sticking up for the homeless guy
Yeah, yeah we know. Some of you want to live in a police state where everyone gets arrested for anything someone else doesn't like. Some of you would just love it in Iran and China where you get your butt beat to snot when the government doesn't like something you did or even worse they cut fingers off if you are accused of stealing. Arrest everybody for everything....that is the solution.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:26 PM

17,290 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Glad they finally changed the title last night. I used one of the articles

He better see all of it or go fund me will be getting involved like the Johnny Bobbitt one

No, they will not. Gofundme doesn’t work that way. Anything raised beyond the posted goal amount is literally profit for the poster. It’s a perfect way to scam people out of money. Why else do you think he’d post such a low goal amount for something that made national headlines?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think charged would be appropriate....imo that was assault.
I agree. It easily meets the criteria for assault. Dunkin Donuts also did the right thing. This culture of cruelty, a culture that celebrates treating certain people as less than human, and laughing about it later, is just so disturbing.

Equally disturbing are some of the posts that celebrate cruelty and cheer these thugs on.

These are not the best of the "good old days" that some folks pine away for. I liked it when we all seemed to agree that civilized people just don't do certain things.

If anyone dares call themselves a "Christian" while supporting such behavior, please find that part of the Gospels where Jesus was unkind to strangers and told every one to "go forth and treat others like who don't have what you have, like dirt,"- show me that part, I dare you. Because it doesn't exist.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 PM

19,269 posts, read 17,143,423 times
I don't have the time to read through the almost 100 posts for what was handled as a local incident, has there been a call to boycott DD yet?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:49 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
At most businesses that would get you fired too. Businesses don't generally want to encourage the homeless to hang around. They aren't into giving away free food and drink to the homeless AT their business, for the same reason people don't feed every stray that shows up in their yard.
We actually pulled our free charging stations because it caused the homeless to congregate at our business, they used it way more than any of our customers. We got so many complaints about the sketchy people hanging around we finally just got rid of it.

I'm flabbergasted that these idiots and others like them don't seem to understand that what they are doing is wrong and they are actually proud of it to the point they post a video of it. Unbelievable!
Yes I see your point also. Wouldn’t make a habit of it as don’t want the whole place filled with homeless but that’s why I said monitor each situation. And true I’d probably be fired. Lol.

I used to frequent a Starbucks a couple years ago and stopped going there as it turned into a haven for homeless. They would come in and hang out all day and took over all the tables with all their bags and backpacks of stuff. The employees said nothing. Some of the homeless were mentally ill and would talk to themselves or constantly be making frenetic finger and arm gestures. Others were just zoned out or eyeing everyone as you walked in. I never could get a place to sit or read or work so I just stopped going there. Later I read in one of the SM groups that locals cops started taking their breaks there and going in and sitting down. Within two weeks the homeless cleared out and regular customers started returning.

I’ve noticed more and more though that particularly young men are abusing the homeless or even killing them by setting them on fire or beating them with baseball bats while they sleep . This is sick and unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events