Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
While I think that pouring water on a man is not the best way to deal with it, I have a lot of sympathy for businesses who have the homeless try to use their place of business as a flop house. Having homeless hanging around, sleeping at the tables, using the bathroom drives paying customers away.

This particular homeless man had been asked to leave multiple times and refused. So what is a business to do with him? He's costing them money and he won't leave. In cities with a homeless problem, the police won't respond to complaints about the homeless. Taking hold of his arm and walking him out is assault. How is a business suposed to get rid of him?

A private business is not a public place. It's not the responsibility of a private business to feed and shelter the homeless, especially at the detriment to their income.
This, some of these posters probably haven't been to San Francisco Bay Area lately. While it's not really a nice way to handle it, homeless people loitering around ruins business. Many of these homeless people do not smell good, and those with mental issues can be dangerous (punching random people, screaming curse words on the street, etc).

Quote:
Watch the video. NO he did not refuse to leave. He left as soon as they threw the water on him.
Apparently, he goes to that location often and has been asked to leave before. Sounds like he sometimes hangs out there all day.

Quote:
I guess you wouldn't have a problem with me dumping water over the heads of your kids running around and disturbing everyone in public, then.
I know you weren't replying to me, but yes, I absolutely wouldn't have an issue with you making my kids feel like idiots if they are misbehaving. Although, my kids wouldn't be misbehaving in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,093,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Imagine if the roles were reversed, there would be even more national outrage and sensationalism.
I agree with this. There would be protests in the streets and DD everywhere would have hell to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And what should have been a local story will now go viral with eventual calls to boycott the company! This is a downside to Social Media, everything that happens is a slight against whoever and must be punished the kid got fired and that's all should happen.
This is true which often just fans the flame and is ridiculous. The employees have been fired and there’s no need to boycott. If anything they should give that guy a 100$ gift card or something.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,427,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This, some of these posters probably haven't been to San Francisco Bay Area lately. While it's not really a nice way to handle it, homeless people loitering around ruins business. Many of these homeless people do not smell good, and those with mental issues can be dangerous (punching random people, screaming curse words on the street, etc).
Homeless people are more likely to be victims of crime, than to be criminals.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Dunkin' Donuts is not a five star restaurant. It's a coffee shop. It's hardly upscale, to say the least. People hang out there. That's the nature of the business. If you want a nice posh environment, go to a five star restaurant for lunch.
Irrelavent how nice the place is, sleeping at a table in any place that serves any type of food or drink is not acceptable.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,093,698 times
Each situation is different. Of course businesses have rights to prevent loitering etc., but there’s better ways to handle this situation. Nobody was even in the place so he wasn’t taking room up from a customer. Maybe he had been asked to leave before and hangs there daily but this isn’t the way. Why create more of an incident and then video it for goodness sake. Maybe they could’ve have given him a cup of hot coffee or cocoa and one of those sandwiches that they’re going to dump in the trash in an hour or two then he wouldn’t look homeless. He’d look like a paying customer.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 10 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,246,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Maybe they could’ve have given him a cup of hot coffee or cocoa and one of those sandwiches that they’re going to dump in the trash in an hour or two then he wouldn’t look homeless. He’d look like a paying customer.
At most businesses that would get you fired too. Businesses don't generally want to encourage the homeless to hang around. They aren't into giving away free food and drink to the homeless AT their business, for the same reason people don't feed every stray that shows up in their yard.
We actually pulled our free charging stations because it caused the homeless to congregate at our business, they used it way more than any of our customers. We got so many complaints about the sketchy people hanging around we finally just got rid of it.

I'm flabbergasted that these idiots and others like them don't seem to understand that what they are doing is wrong and they are actually proud of it to the point they post a video of it. Unbelievable!

Old 10-04-2018, 03:37 AM

23,910 posts, read 33,707,308 times
Glad they finally changed the title last night. I used one of the articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You DO know it's VERY unlikely he will see anything NEAR that amount, right?

The guy who started it set the goal at $150. Chances are, anything above that he will pocket to himself, as there is NO obligation to give the man any more than what the goal is. It's very likely that he set it critically low for a selfish reason.
He better see all of it or go fund me will be getting involved like the Johnny Bobbitt one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimde View Post
Its good seeing there ARE people who care for others less fortunate.... I hope this money helps him get a stable place for shelter and all!!
Me too. Hopefully it doesn't go too high either.
$21,555 of $150 goal Raised by 1,152 people in 2 days

Old 10-04-2018, 04:49 AM

19,302 posts, read 17,189,952 times
Maybe in the future they just need to post a sign " Your camping permit has expired please move on when you are finished eating".....

Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,500,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe in the future they just need to post a sign " Your camping permit has expired please move on when you are finished eating".....
Great post! Maybe it will connect with those who don't see that man as being an unwelcome intruder.

It wouldn't be acceptable for a homeless man to enter a family campground, find an empty site and sleep at the picnic table every day.

Or how about the local church. Go in and sleep during Sunday service because some of the pews are empty.

Or what about your backyard if you're not using it? What harm would it do to let the homeless sleep on a lounge chair you're not using?

Or better yet, let him sleep in your spare room in your guest bed. If you don't have a spare room, let him sleep on your living room sofa. Or maybe let him sleep in YOUR bed when your not using it.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,283,387 times
I think charged would be appropriate....imo that was assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events