Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM

30,401 posts, read 52,016,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Public place or not, the principle of trespassing is the same. When its time to close, the public library or public whatever has the same rights that a private establishment has to require patrons to leave. Gizmo described intelligent ways to get the attention of sleeping patrons. The library uses methods that actually require some thought instead of brute force.
Exactly.

Some people (not saying anyone here) think that "public" = "anyone can do whatever they want," but that is not true. We still have to continuously enforce the guidelines, and as public employees, we have to be even more careful about staying within the legal lines. So this is what we've been trained to do, and in my 11 years as a public librarian it has never killed or upset anyone. Usually they just snort themselves awake and then apologize.

I wasn't trying to compare our "business" to theirs, either; I was only using this as an example because of how strictly we follow the LAWS. These laws are universal to both public and private spaces, and dumping water on someone IS considered a form of assault. Period.

Quote:
The notion that one should have to worry about causing someone a heart attack by dropping book near them.....well its one of the dumbest things I've read on CDF for awhile and I read some pretty dumb things. It is not likely or even a distinct possibility that dropping a book near someone will cause a patron to suffer a heart attack. On the other hand, dumping a pitcher of ice water on them will make them soaking wet.
I can't say without doing some research first (since I am a librarian, after all ), but it does seem rather far-fetched! I've been using this method for over a decade, and have yet to give anyone a heart attack or stroke. We don't SLAM it or anything; just softly "whoops" it on the floor near them, or use our hands to make a slight sound on the nearby table. It works, and I'd assume is safer than deluging someone in cold water. Can't that give someone a medical reaction??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, if kids are hanging out constantly in my yard I would call the parents and say come pick them up. If that doesn't work, then I'd call CPS or police. There are avenues to take that don't involve assaulting people.
That's what I would do. There is no way that I would take matters into my own hands.
Spraying children with a hose is assault and it's against the law.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,730,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's what I would do. There is no way that I would take matters into my own hands.
Spraying children with a hose is assault and it's against the law.
It makes far more sense just to give some pesky trespassing kids, a spray with the hose.

All this police state stuff, is over the top.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 PM

17,643 posts, read 15,340,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Cutting someone's hair without their permission can also be considered an assault and there was a 13 year old who was convicted in juvenile court for cutting off a 6 year old's hair as a joke.

Most states don't convict children under the age of 10 for things like this so your example isn't a good one.

You can think it's silly if you want to. But our laws say it's not okay to do things to a person without their permission or consent.

cutting off hair would have lasting implications. Not more than a few months, most likely, but lasting. Dumping water on someone has a couple of hours of implication at most.

Everytime someone gets pulled over for speeding, they don't necessarily get a ticket.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Dumping water on someone has a couple of hours of implication at most.
Maybe for someone who isn't homeless and has a place to dry off and a closet full of other clothing to put on.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:19 PM

30,401 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe for someone who isn't homeless and has a place to dry off and a closet full of other clothing to put on.
This. And walking around with wet clothes can cause chafing and/or infection, especially if those clothes are dirty... not to mention, they could have gotten some of his possessions wet too. Would you (anyone defending their actions) be okay with your phone, wallet/purse, watch, etc, getting water dumped on them? Guessing not.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,408,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
cutting off hair would have lasting implications. Not more than a few months, most likely, but lasting. Dumping water on someone has a couple of hours of implication at most.
I am talking about the law. It's classified as an assault, period.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM

17,332 posts, read 15,507,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This. And walking around with wet clothes can cause chafing and/or infection, especially if those clothes are dirty... not to mention, they could have gotten some of his possessions wet too. Would you (anyone defending their actions) be okay with your phone, wallet/purse, watch, etc, getting water dumped on them? Guessing not.
No. Again, what they did was cruel and very stupid. And yes, they could have easily damaged his property, especially his phone.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:43 PM

82 posts, read 16,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
....What's next? a 6 year old with a water pistol gets sued for damages for squirting the next door neighbor?
Heh I wouldnt be a bit surprised with the way things are going

Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM

16,081 posts, read 21,202,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Normal ppl would give him a tap to wake up.
Doubting that one. I would not do it, nor would most of the people I know in retail. Homeless people are too unpredictable and a lot of them are prone to reacting in unexpected ways, no way would I do something as risky as to make physical contact in attempt to waken a homeless person. That's why we let the cops take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events