Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
This story sounds like a crock. The customer wanted someone to fill the lettuce bowl. So they first asked an employee who has autism (which he couldn't do) ,so the manager, RATHER than filling the lettuce bowl himself, takes the time to tell the customer that the employee cannot do that. Wth? Why didn't the manager just fill the damn thing himself instead of making this an issue. I highly doubt the customer cared which employee did it. This story is creating victims and demonizing the customer for a story.
sounds accurate. mountains from molehills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not sure why you say that. There are many autistic people living and working here in Silicon Valley. They are needed and valued.
If you own a business & you are hiring; an ASD applicant who entered the hiring process the same way everybody else did; should be evaluated the same way everybody else is. This will likely not be the individual who will be problematic.

Yes, the Broad Autistic Phenotype is a valuable asset in the tech industry, the scientific research industry & the Arts ... & many more. And some of us "born BAP" but now HF ASD's even have savant capabilities & are able to contribute while leading a quality life.

We are not representative of the employee who didn't refill the lettuce bowl. We are not representative of Autism; period. We "might" be 10% of the ASD population but:

-50% of us are non-verbal.
-1/3rd of us have seizure disorders.
-28% of children with ASD are self-injurious.
- We are seven times more like to be sexually assaulted.
-Our life expectancy is age 36, due to accidental deaths.

So yes; from one HF ASD to the neurotypical world: You take on a lot; when you take on an ASD person. Whether it be for school, caregiving, employment, etc... you assume a lot of responsibility.

I believe this restaurant owner hired through Goodwill or another agency, meaning that they knowingly were not hiring high-functioning autistics. There is no way for a customer to know that they have approached an autistic employee; unlike Down's. Heck; if "ignoring" was all that happened, they got off easy.

It would help if people knew what autism really is but there is too much depathologizing & romanticizing going on. I don't have to say why; do I?

These two HF ASD's (& one Neurologist) explain it better than I do:

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/04...dead-now-what/

https://psmag.com/news/what-the-neur...g-about-autism

https://corticalchauvinism.com/2017/...comorbidities/

Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Yes, romanticizing. Good word.
I didn't take my bag of groceries after the guy bagging them cut his hand and bled on my food. All the cashier said was "Someone show Johnny where to get a bandaid". Well he was a lovely man who gave me a dirty look and got mad when I said I wasn't taking that bag with blood on it home. And no, I don't think he's contagious! I want my things without someone's blood on them.

It isn't necessary to point out that someone hires "all of God's children, if we're ALL God's children, then of course everyone gets hired.

I don't feel it's so greatly 'charitable' when one is profiting on their charity, (directly getting paid to hire, not just a credit or write off) and publicly patting themselves on the back for the equality they display...

Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
If you own a business & you are hiring; an ASD applicant who entered the hiring process the same way everybody else did; should be evaluated the same way everybody else is. This will likely not be the individual who will be problematic.

Yes, the Broad Autistic Phenotype is a valuable asset in the tech industry, the scientific research industry & the Arts ... & many more. And some of us "born BAP" but now HF ASD's even have savant capabilities & are able to contribute while leading a quality life.

We are not representative of the employee who didn't refill the lettuce bowl. We are not representative of Autism; period. We "might" be 10% of the ASD population but:

-50% of us are non-verbal.
-1/3rd of us have seizure disorders.
-28% of children with ASD are self-injurious.
- We are seven times more like to be sexually assaulted.
-Our life expectancy is age 36, due to accidental deaths.

So yes; from one HF ASD to the neurotypical world: You take on a lot; when you take on an ASD person. Whether it be for school, caregiving, employment, etc... you assume a lot of responsibility.

I believe this restaurant owner hired through Goodwill or another agency, meaning that they knowingly were not hiring high-functioning autistics. There is no way for a customer to know that they have approached an autistic employee; unlike Down's. Heck; if "ignoring" was all that happened, they got off easy.

It would help if people knew what autism really is but there is too much depathologizing & romanticizing going on. I don't have to say why; do I?

These two HF ASD's (& one Neurologist) explain it better than I do:

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/04...dead-now-what/

https://psmag.com/news/what-the-neur...g-about-autism

https://corticalchauvinism.com/2017/...comorbidities/

This was a high functioning employee. You’re missing the whole point it was not his job to fill the lettuce bowl that is the whole point. This business owner has a lot of experience in hiring special-needs employees. 10 out of her 16 employees are all special needs.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes, romanticizing. Good word.
I didn't take my bag of groceries after the guy bagging them cut his hand and bled on my food. All the cashier said was "Someone show Johnny where to get a bandaid". Well he was a lovely man who gave me a dirty look and got mad when I said I wasn't taking that bag with blood on it home. And no, I don't think he's contagious! I want my things without someone's blood on them. ...
I'd get a refund. I wouldn't take food with blood on it either.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'd get a refund. I wouldn't take food with blood on it either.
Yeah, I put what didn’t have blood on it in a clean bag and brought it all up to customer service with the receipt. They “let” me go and get replacement items. No one apologized or realized how absurd. I saw the same young man acting in a rude manner on other occasions, maybe that’s just his personality, or his abilities don’t include empathy.

Which is my point. It doesn’t seem like a good fit for customer service though, and so why not give the job to one of the local teens or others who need a job? Was there an interview process, is there discrimination, who’s best qualified? What’s the gain in picking least qualified, which may make a business lose customers? It’s easy to say: “If you don’t like it go somewhere else” when there’s financial gain in keeping the employee unable to perform as satisfactorily as the other applicants. Business owners are in it for profit.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not so different than dealing with regular employees is it?
Lmao! So true.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah, I put what didn’t have blood on it in a clean bag and brought it all up to customer service with the receipt. They “let” me go and get replacement items. No one apologized or realized how absurd. I saw the same young man acting in a rude manner on other occasions, maybe that’s just his personality, or his abilities don’t include empathy.

Which is my point. It doesn’t seem like a good fit for customer service though, and so why not give the job to one of the local teens or others who need a job? Was there an interview process, is there discrimination, who’s best qualified? What’s the gain in picking least qualified, which may make a business lose customers? It’s easy to say: “If you don’t like it go somewhere else” when there’s financial gain in keeping the employee unable to perform as satisfactorily as the other applicants. Business owners are in it for profit.
This boy did not have a customer service job. The customer tried to make him have a customer service job. He tried to make him refill the lettuce bowl even though that was not his job or not what he was trained for. For all we know he was mopping the floor. This guy does have non-disabled people working there too.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For all we know he was mopping the floor. This guy does have non-disabled people working there too.
For all we know the employee was filling the tomato bowl. We don't know, let's assume he had a normal request, received a rude or condescending reply, by either the "boy" or manager, and that's why he replied that they should put a sign up. So others know not to request things like lettuce at the salad bar from an employee at the restaurant. Let's assume the customer was also high functioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events