Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 06:25 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well we cannot bring back the deceased but we can sometimes get people out of foreign prisons esp. if it is high profile case or something that diplomats and local embassy's can help out a alot in such cases.
Yes; but it is not written in stone that you will be released or how soon. Regardless of the money or the prestige of the individuals; you still might have to serve your time. If we have an active trade with the country; then we can exert leverage. But what is important to them or us; is not always the same.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
No he wasn't. After all he had a University "Degree"

"A graduate of Oral Roberts University, he was fixated on spreading Christianity to North Sentinel, telling friends he had been working for years to make the right contacts."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/w...gtype=Homepage

"In one passage, he asked God if North Sentinel was “Satan’s last stronghold.” In another: “What makes them become this defensive and hostile?”"

Could it be, perhaps, that the "education" he received at that "university" was lacking facts and science?
Yes he was a moron, having a degree does not make you educated. He received a myopic view of the world and drank the Kool-Aid excessively from a school which presents their view only. Based on his actions, lack of respect for others lives and his belief that only his view matters he received his just rewards. There is no justification to his actions just because he was acting on behalf of his Christian Faith.

Catching up on the other posts it amazes me that 500+ years after western countries started exploring and colonizing that people still think only western culture is a benchmark of how you should live.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
How DARE you compare the actions of a black American civil rights activist to what that arrogant, Christian supremacist did?

Stop USING black people to attempt (and fail) to make your point. There is no equivalency. That missionary got exactly what he deserved.

Not today colonizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Hmmm, was it stupidity on Rosa Park's part when she refused to obey the law and not sit in the back of the bus, which was the law only 60 years ago? Just saying, laws are not infinite. How do we not know that some of these people who are not so high up the ladder in these tribes aren't being tortured and sacrificed by the "elders and leaders" of that tribe? How do we know or that the children are being taken care of well and the women are not being raped and beaten? Seeing how savage they are to the outsiders, I shudder at the thought of how they might treat their own people.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
it was illegal to go within 3 miles of the island, that is the law, what makes someone think they are above the law? no matter what his intentions he was breaking the law. he may be a missionary but we all still have to obey the law or else we are the same as criminals.
they had proved the day before they wanted nothing to do with him but he wouldn't take no for an answer.
stupidity can be fatal sometimes.
Reading through this thread again, I came across this one and it brings up a very valid point. This man knew he was breaking the law of their land. What did he think gave him the right to do that? This is the hypocrisy of his religion. If it had been any other religion trying to push their belief system on them, he would have probably been the first to cry "foul." But as long as it was his religion it was okay. He was bringing enlightenment in the name of his god. That made it all worthwhile.

That's the sad thing about all of this. There are many people, some of them posting here, who won't be able to grasp that idea. Their way is the right way, the only way and laws be damned. Run roughshod over people, put their lives in jeopardy if necessary, do whatever it takes in order to make them see the light in the name of their deity. Everyone else literally be damned.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Christian missionaries have KILLED many of the world's populations through war, disease, rape, chattel slavery and cultural annihilation.

The idiot missionary committed a crime. The missionary broke the law and suffered the consequences. He always may have killed the islanders by exposing them to diseases, viruses and bacteria for which they are not immune, therefore the missionary is the MURDERER.

Not today colonizer. Not today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
According to BBC reporting on 'tribal isolates' today’s so-called un-contacted people all have a history of contact, whether from past exploitation or simply seeing a plane flying overhead. So a knowledge and fear of outsiders is quite common.

And paraphrasing from the same article, the Sentinelese on North Sentinel island, who experts think is the most isolated tribe in the world, and whom little is known about their language, have had occasional brushes with other societies; members of their tribe have been kidnapped, helicopters sometimes fly over their island and they have killed fishermen who have ventured too close.

Now I believe a nation has a right to defend itself against intruders and have stated as much in many posts.
But a civilized society must exercise restraint and respond symmetrically, using the least force that will accomplish the task. Mass executions of unarmed folks, purposeful use of chemical weapons, etc. are clearly not acceptable.

I also believe that no one or group should be immune from acts of obvious homicide.
And uncivilized societies should and have been brought to justice.
It is my opinion that this act rises to that level of offense.
Clearly others do not agree.
Amen.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree with this. And what is even more sadder, here in America, when American families have chosen to go off the grid, they are hunted down like animals by the FBI, and I bet the same people here cheering for this man's death would be cheering for the deaths like what happened in Ruby Ridge and Waco.

There is just so much hate in this world. Well, at least this man is in a better place, and he died trying fighting for what he believed in.
They are not hunted down for going off the grid, or being Christians, but for breaking the laws of man - like mailing bombs or raping young girls.

This man died as he lived - deluded up until the very end.

And the worst part ?? Like those explores 500 years before him he was completely ignorant to the threat HE presented to those primitive folks. DID YOU KNOW that contact with Europeans killed millions of Native Americans ??

Please just leave these poor folks alone. They don't want or need anyone's help - and that is the Indian Government's decision - not mine.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Christian missionaries have KILLED many of the world's populations through war, disease, rape, chattel slavery and cultural annihilation.
There's the anti-religious hyperbole I come to expect. Well done.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
There's the anti-religious hyperbole I come to expect. Well done.

Actually I am a Christian but I recognize the DAMAGE and DESTRUCTION that Christianity has caused the world over. Its called discernment.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This man risked his life to offer hope, enlightenment and salvation through Christ to a tribe humanity has written off. You don't have to agree with his method, beliefs and actions, but you shouldn't rejoice over his death, insisting that he deserved it.
Who said there's enlightenment and salvation through Christ? That's merely the dead man's belief system. Salvation from what, btw? Look at how many "Christians" in the US have been behaving the last couple of years; depriving others of the right to vote, yelling epithets at people who look like the Sentinelese, for no reason, while trying to convince us that their behavior is "enlightened" because they've accepted Jesus.

The Sentinelese don't need that kind of enlightenment or salvation. If you've studied or been around any societies considered "primitive" or backward, you'd see that some of them are very gentle and caring. Some of them think we're the ones that need to be saved from ourselves or each other. The Sentinelese don't need to be exposed to modern prejudices and hypocrisy.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually I am a Christian but I recognize the DAMAGE and DESTRUCTION that Christianity has caused the world over. Its called discernment.
This statement is the epitome of nonsensical. I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events