Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:16 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times

Advertisements

Mom is a MORE ON for naming her kid that. Gate agent should get a bonus for helping point out STUPID PEOPLE

I do feel bad for the kid though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:20 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
I didn't have my reading classes on and thought the kid was named Abode. Which could be a nice hipster name.

That's what she could call herself as she gets older.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,903 times
My first name is unusual, not completely off the hook, but because of it I learned to fight at an early age.

The mom had better teach that child how to defend herself from bullies, because mom won’t be able whine on social media to protect her kid. With that name, she will face worse in life than a tactless SWA employee.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Very PC of you, but you do know a number of European countries simply will not let parents give children stupid names. Just because one classroom of kindergartners learned her name just as she learned theirs is not a meaningful representation of the real, cruel world.

Why saddle a child with a pointless burden like that?
Really? Which countries and which names? As an American, I'm surprised you aren't upset at the intrusion of those governments into the lives of its citizens...over a name. Please don't talk about names like Hitler.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:54 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I once knew a guy whose given name was Richard Cranium. Hardly anyone knew about since he always went by the first name, RC. He was never scared emotionally, as far as I knew.
DH had a Commander named Richard Johnson and he went by "Dick". Of course the company laughed about this A LOT.

His superiors took it further referring to him as "Dickie" or worse "foreskin".

Old 11-29-2018, 06:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? Which countries and which names? As an American, I'm surprised you aren't upset at the intrusion of those governments into the lives of its citizens...over a name.
Yeah, rah rah freedom.

But whose? The parents? Or a child who will be saddled with a name that can be as bad as a brand on the forehead? Who has no choice in the matter until they are at least old enough to be taken seriously about it - maybe 10-12? - or old enough to legally do something about it - 16-21.

What more important and shaping element of self-identity is there? Shouldn't there be someone who steps in when a moronic parent decides to cripple a child with a stupid, demeaning, pointlessly weird name?

Especially when it goes past bizarre, overwrought spellings for their own sake, and non-names to be different, and "names from other cultures" that are never going to be spelled or pronounced correctly in the child's life... to this kind of absolute nonsense name.

Wave that flag, Grybltnnskuns.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yeah, rah rah freedom.

But whose? The parents? Or a child who will be saddled with a name that can be as bad as a brand on the forehead? Who has no choice in the matter until they are at least old enough to be taken seriously about it - maybe 10-12? - or old enough to legally do something about it - 16-21.

What more important and shaping element of self-identity is there? Shouldn't there be someone who steps in when a moronic parent decides to cripple a child with a stupid, demeaning, pointlessly weird name?

Especially when it goes past bizarre, overwrought spellings for their own sake, and non-names to be different, and "names from other cultures" that are never going to be spelled or pronounced correctly in the child's life... to this kind of absolute nonsense name.

Wave that flag, Grybltnnskuns.
Dude, the child can tell all her friends to just call her "Abby." Listen, I grew up under some harsh circumstances. I would have gladly accepted a funky name if I could have traded some of my familial issues. Little Abcde will survive just fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Really? Which countries and which names? As an American, I'm surprised you aren't upset at the intrusion of those governments into the lives of its citizens...over a name. Please don't talk about names like Hitler.
But parents do name their children names like Hitler and Aryan. Am I supposed to be cheering for these parents ability to ruin their child lives at such an early age? Woohoo!

Old 11-29-2018, 06:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Dude, the child can tell all her friends to just call her "Abby." Listen, I grew up under some harsh circumstances. I would have gladly accepted a funky name if I could have traded some of my familial issues. Little Abcde will survive just fine.
And at the start of each new school year, or anytime there is a sub, the teacher will take a guess at how abcde is peonounced, and all the children will laugh.

Sure, she can claim her name is Abby, but she can't officially change her name on any official records while a child. And why should a child even have to go by a different name to keep from being embarrassed? The parents should have avoided such a situation to begin with.

I really love the name Sebastian. It's not too out there of a name, and has actually become very popular over the past few years. But I couldn't bring myself to give my kid the same name as a Disney crab. How names sound, how they're spelled, and the name is associated with is something parents should consider when naming their child. It's a name the child will potentially have to live with for the rest of their life.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
We have no way of knowing whether this "funky name" is the extent of the familial issues this child will deal with -- it likely isn't, imo. A parent who inflicts that name on their child probably is going to be equally cruel in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events