Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 02:43 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times

Advertisements

I once met a man who was in his seventies, who had carried the name, "Peter Hertz", since birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Although I agree with the premise of the point you were trying to make, I think the point was lost in the overt racism expressed in the "joke."

Unfortunately, to parents like the one in the OP, their children are "lifestyle accessories" rather than human beings in their own right. They're all "look how cool I am because I gave my kid this offbeat name."
No it wasn't, at least not to me. lol, listen I'm Black and I shake my head at some of these idiotic names . case in point, my great nephew. HIs name is Seven, as in the number 7.

Why you may ask? because my nephew and his brain surgeon candidate girlfriend went to Vegas and swear that right after they had nookie, they went down to the tables and kept hitting on the number 7.

Now unfortunately my great nephew is saddled with this ridiculous name, which no one calls him because both sets of grandparents absolutely refuse and I'm not mad at them. We all call him by his middle name and how much you want to bet when he starts looking for a job and does a resume he'll use his middle name.

If you are uber wealthy and/or a celebrity then you get the luxury of naming your kid 'moon beam, sunshine, forest child" or you can give your self a symbol for a name likePrince once did.

Everyone else does not have that money to fall back on.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,966 times
That name would make a resume look fake to me.
For this kid's sake, I hope she changes her name or just uses her (hopefully) normal middle name when she's older.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
The SWA agent was out of line but this will be reality for the little girl.

People usually make fun, fear, hate, kill, etc what is different, unusual, conflicts with their reality, status quo, etc.

The mom and dad and their respective families need their head examined for allowing that naming. With all the bullying that goes on in Junior HS and HS i am at a lost as to why they would name their kid ABCDE and not foreseen the issues that the child might encounter while maturing into adulthood.

And if you are ok with this named feel free to name yourself ABCDE and enjoy your life.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
That name would make a resume look fake to me.
For this kid's sake, I hope she changes her name or just uses her (hopefully) normal middle name when she's older.
The child needs to change her name NOW. LOL. Her resume will be in the trash bin..

Old 11-30-2018, 08:34 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
My Sister knew someone who named their kid Racer RPM. My Sister named her eldest daughter a normal name with a "cutesy" spellingy; my Sister legally changed the spelling when my niece was around 3.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,600,070 times
the retarted(if this word offends you, too bad) mother is the one that deserves to be mocked for naming a child something so stupid.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
You don't go posting someone's boarding pass online. The employee should be fired for that. That and making fun of the name in front of the kid. That's just sociopathic. If she wanted to express herself, she could have just kept it to facebook and said she ran into a kid named Abcde at work.

Yeah, it's a weird name, but if the kid's parents couldn't be adults, it would help if the other people this kid encounters could act like they are. But I don't understand why anyone should make fun of anyone else's name. Do people from other cultures deserve to have their names made fun of? I remember as a child I was at a park with a Pakistani playmate, and an old guy waiting his turn at the tennis court started asking him why he didn't have an American name and why he was called "Muh-WEED." I remember the kid trying to be polite and this old guy just lambasting him for his name, which was perfectly normal in the country where he was born. It was disgusting, in retrospect, that this old man thought he could just bully a child.

Howabout don't be a dick?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
My Sister knew someone who named their kid Racer RPM. My Sister named her eldest daughter a normal name with a "cutesy" spellingy; my Sister legally changed the spelling when my niece was around 3.
What your niece's name? And what prompted your sis to change it?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 AM

501 posts, read 360,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Agent is wrong, but damn, that parent is an idiot and deserves to be mocked for naming the kid such a stupid name.

This is just the beginning for the kid...I am sure she will use an alternative name pretty quickly.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events