Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Agent is wrong, but damn, that parent is an idiot and deserves to be mocked for naming the kid such a stupid name.

I'm not reading pages and pages of this thread when this is all that needs to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 04:03 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I prounouce it McCall I usually write it Mic-Hal. I expect the Hebrew pronunciation would sound different but I have enough trouble getting people to say McCall.
Okay. I'd write it Mi'kal, myself. Certainly a legitimate modernization/anglicizing of an ancient name, and self-pronouncing in 'Murrican.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:07 PM

480 posts, read 317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You win.
Agreed.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Probably meant scarred, not scared.

And, um, I think you missed the joke.

Richard Cranium=Dick Head

Classic junior high school fodder, that one. LOL
Or Richard Noggin.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Richard Cranium=Dick Head
I knew someone named Richard Hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My first long-term partner had an ambiguously male name; my second had chosen a variant of her birth names that was a very masculine name; my sister grew up with a male first name. But I emphasize that all three were real, traditional names, not something conjured on a Ouija board after half a bottle.
To avoid ambiguity for a girl, just use the name on the hospital crib... Female. Pronounced fe-MAHL-lee.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:55 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes and no. Demanding a cite for something obvious or that can be taken at face value in the context of the discussion is laziness or an irritating deflection of the topic.

However, anyone making an unusual or questionable claim can rightly be asked for substantiation. You want to claim there are green cows, you'd better have a cite on hand, like a link to a photo.

In the skeptic world, it's a maxim that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof... meaning you need more than a purported photo of Nessie, Obama meeting aliens or Bigfoot.

Baloney.

The onus is on the uninformed poster to educate himself, or refute something stated as fact.

We all know what the snarky Link, please means; no one needs to accommodate that nonsense by responding to it. The lazy ones are those who don't want to bother confronting the poster with something such as...That's not true.

Gee, that was easy.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Gee, that was easy.
The paranormal forum is waiting for you.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Baloney.

The onus is on the uninformed poster to educate himself, or refute something stated as fact.

We all know what the snarky Link, please means; no one needs to accommodate that nonsense by responding to it. The lazy ones are those who don't want to bother confronting the poster with something such as...That's not true.

Gee, that was easy.
I realize that City-Data is hardly academia or journalism, but in those venues, a source is indeed required if presenting something as fact that's not typically well known. Maybe that's why a lot of people expect it from City-Data posters. Personally, I'm not terribly interested in going down Google rabbit holes to find out whether some outlandish thing some poster claims is fact is actually true. If they can't back it up, I usually just consider them an uniformed source and move on.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If they can't back it up, I usually just consider them an uniformed source and move on.
Military or police?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
https://abc7.com/4784236/

“A Texas mother is complaining that a Southwest Airlines employee mocked her 5-year-old daughter's name, which is Abcde.

Traci Redford said she and young Abcde (pronounced "Ab-city") were flying from Santa Ana, California, to their home in El Paso, Texas, a few weeks ago when a gate agent began mocking the girl's name.”

(as reported by “AB-see Seven”. Sorry, couldn’t resist )

Yeah, the agent was wrong for posting the boarding pass online, but, IMHO, she shouldn’t be faulted for laughing because that IS a RIDICULOUS name that I’m sure was purposely picked to draw attention. Mission Accomplished. This child is going to have to deal with people mocking her name for a LONG time to come (never mind issues with future employment).
ABCDE ?? what the FGHIJK .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events