Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,612,587 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of 'social media' parenting. Do your job Dad ~ and quit looking for Facebook 'likes'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,236,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Family therapy and counseling would have probably been a better choice, but it would have cost money and wouldn't have gone viral.

Come on. Parenting is not so hard that you have to pay for professional counseling and guidance every time your kid comes home with a note from school..

Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 AM

405 posts, read 259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Well, in "olden days" I would say "good for him"! However in the evil days of today with all the freaks and such out there, I hope nothing happens to her while she's walking to school. 5 miles is a minimum of 1 hour of solid walking, and a lot can happen to a girl while she's doing that.

Now that he's posted that for the whole world to see, those sorts of freaks might just grab her and do who knows what with her...

There are about a hundred million children in the country and a micro-miniscule number of children are ever bothered of kidnapped. It is thinking like yours that has created the generation that is too scared of everything to leave the house. I hope you're not one of those yapping about the short-comings of 'millenials'. Whatever those are, their parents created them.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:40 AM

405 posts, read 259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not a fan of 'social media' parenting. Do your job Dad ~ and quit looking for Facebook 'likes'.

The extreme narcissism of today's parents has replaced the extreme materialism of the previous generation of parents. I wonder how all this "look at me" is going to play out in the next generation. I shudder to think.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:01 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,236,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
There are about a hundred million children in the country and a micro-miniscule number of children are ever bothered of kidnapped. It is thinking like yours that has created the generation that is too scared of everything to leave the house. I hope you're not one of those yapping about the short-comings of 'millenials'. Whatever those are, their parents created them.
Right. Of those 100,000,000 childrn, about two a week are abducted by strangers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.9f4471329d65

Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,249,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Right. Of those 100,000,000 childrn, about two a week are abducted by strangers.

In my HS days we could be kicked off the school bus for acting up. I walked several miles to get home on one occasion. I did not view it as a bad experience; I learned and did not make the same mistake again. Unfortunately bus drivers do not have that option today: What to do when students act out - Safety - School Bus Fleet. I quote "If an angry student demands to be let off the bus, “the answer to that is, not without tremendous vulnerability to liability,” says Peggy Burns, Esq., of Education Compliance Group. “That is not a good answer.”" so liability has turned us away from allowing our kids to be personally accountable for their own actions.

That article also goes on to make this observation on restraining students on the bus: "In extreme cases, it might become necessary to physically prevent a student from doing something. But, “almost any time that a student is restrained, it’s very likely to become a legal issue,” Burns says."

A parent or school bus driver is walking a fine line today. I do not feel that our laws have helped. There will always be some kids that want to test the limits. I just wish that there were still methods to make them personally responsible for their own actions.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I think Dad did follow her in the car though, if I remember the article correctly?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
The extreme narcissism of today's parents has replaced the extreme materialism of the previous generation of parents. I wonder how all this "look at me" is going to play out in the next generation. I shudder to think.
I think of that every time I see an elaborate 'gender reveal' stunt on social media.

I guess I did belong to the previous generation of parents where we were very materialistic. So, not saying we didn't have our own issues.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 3 days ago)

35,899 posts, read 18,209,654 times
Quote:

Thank you for posting that. We've gone a bit crazy protecting our children from "strangers" who pose, statistically, such a tiny danger to our children.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:23 AM

51,253 posts, read 36,923,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think Dad did follow her in the car though, if I remember the article correctly?
Yes he did. She only walked part of the way and then he drove her the rest of the way each of the three days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events