Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
So what does he do to teach her that you shouldn't bully, which I would say includes humiliation, but the very thing he wants her to stop.
By now with media attn and back patting, Dad thinks he's a hero.

I'm not impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I asked this before, and don't think I got an answer.

Where is her mother?
Probably hiding out of embarrassment, for herself and for her daughter.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I would agree that bullying has long-term consequences. The dad's a bully and now has taught his daughter to be a bully. So what does he do to teach her that you shouldn't bully, which I would say includes humiliation, but the very thing he wants her to stop.

The walking thing seems to be more him upset that he has to drive her to school and that it's an inconvenience to him that he now has to take her. I don't see how it correlates to bullying or what it would do to address the bullying at all. If bullying was so unacceptable in their household, why is she engaging in it to the point that she has to be kicked off the bus? Seems like this would have been taught before the girl hit 13 years of age.

This just kind of screams "look at me." I've met many parents who have not been responsible parents for most of a child's life and do acts like this to make themselves feel better about not doing anything the previous 11-13 years of their child's life to prevent behavior like this.
The walking was due to her attitude. She didn’t care that she was suspended from the bus, came home and TOLD dad “You have to drive me to school now”. Dad didn’t like the entitled attitude nor the not caring about the suspension.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The walking was due to her attitude. She didn’t care that she was suspended from the bus, came home and TOLD dad “You have to drive me to school now”. Dad didn’t like the entitled attitude nor the not caring about the suspension.
You got the second part right. The walking was due to dad's attitude and him not wanting to have to give her a ride to school.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Bullying definitely deserves attention.

I took bullying as the sticking point in his video. She feels entitled to bully and a lot more.

With all the resources available, reserching online wasnt an option?? I cant find one thing suggesting humiliation, let alone via social media.
His daughters isnt the only one in need of help. jmo

Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Apparently it’s not a non story if that many people spread it and shared it and commented on it.
The event was she was kicked off the bus so had to walk. The "story", through the machinations of Facebook, is the dog-whistle issue of bullying. She still would have had to endure walking to school, regardless of the unrelated reason why she was banished from the bus, but that became what people spread and shared and commented on.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I have no idea why the parents are being criticized. Kids at that age bully, to claim this is the result of their parenting is nonsense. It's not on them any more it is on those posters when their kids misbehave. So this dad learned of the behavior and he did what any good parent would do, he tried to correct the behavior and hold his daughter accountable.

So what if he posted it on social media? People post what they had for dinner on social media. This was a big event in his life and he shared it, so what? It did nothing more than reinforce to the daughter how wrong she was and perhaps gave other parents the notion that they too should be correcting their bullying kid's behavior.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
There should have been two separate punishments. One for the bullying that got her kicked off the bus, and one for the entitled attitude of now dad, you have to drive me.

Making her walk was showing her there are consequences to her actions of getting kicked off the bus for the 2nd time, and those consequences AREN'T getting chauffeured to school.

But it doesn't address the bullying. He said he talked to her as she walked, but I'm vague about what exactly. I can't think of a punishment for bullying other than talking to her and getting to the root of why she's doing it. Some kids (and adults) think it's funny. It's how they get attention. Some kids lash out because of some anger they are feeling. There are probably other reasons too.

If my kid was doing it, her punishment would be to have me grill her about why she does it for a couple of weeks and me trying to get it across to her how humiliated and hurt her victim is. Have her write a diary entry from the point of view of her victim. Dear Diary, Today I was riding the bus home, Jane (did/said this) and I felt so (sad/hurt/embarrassed/whatever). I wish that (she would stop/someone would stick up for me/etc.).

If we haven't gotten to the bottom of it, if she hasn't developed some empathy for others in a few weeks, she'd go to a psychologist to figure it out.

empathy
noun
em·​pa·​thy | \ˈem-pə-thē

Definition of empathy

1 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
There should have been two separate punishments. One for the bullying that got her kicked off the bus, and one for the entitled attitude of now dad, you have to drive me.

Making her walk was showing her there are consequences to her actions of getting kicked off the bus for the 2nd time, and those consequences AREN'T getting chauffeured to school.

But it doesn't address the bullying. He said he talked to her as she walked, but I'm vague about what exactly. I can't think of a punishment for bullying other than talking to her and getting to the root of why she's doing it. Some kids (and adults) think it's funny. It's how they get attention. Some kids lash out because of some anger they are feeling. There are probably other reasons too.

If my kid was doing it, her punishment would be to have me grill her about why she does it for a couple of weeks and me trying to get it across to her how humiliated and hurt her victim is. Have her write a diary entry from the point of view of her victim. Dear Diary, Today I was riding the bus home, Jane (did/said this) and I felt so (sad/hurt/embarrassed/whatever). I wish that (she would stop/someone would stick up for me/etc.).

If we haven't gotten to the bottom of it, if she hasn't developed some empathy for others in a few weeks, she'd go to a psychologist to figure it out.

empathy
noun
em·​pa·​thy | \ˈem-pə-thē

Definition of empathy

1 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner
It sounds like they did get to the root of it. The girl said that she herself had been bullied by older kids. It’s not uncommon for someone who feels powerless to try to regain feeling better about themselves by dominating someone else less powerful. . It’s the old story about the guy who gets browbeaten at work who comes home and beats the family dog. Hopefully they can give her strategies for what to do when she gets bullied, and more productive ways of restoring self esteem.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

True to form as is the norm these days with narcissists, daddy posts the video on social media to publicly pat himself on the back (he definitely knew it was going to become 'viral').

I have no idea what walking to school is going to do to fix the problem either.
I don't really object to making her walk to school. I STRENUOUSLY object to it being posted online. Why even do that?

And yeah, instead of doing some soul searching and changing the way they parent, they are lashing out at the kid... like bullies.

Family therapy and counseling would have probably been a better choice, but it would have cost money and wouldn't have gone viral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events