Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,673,237 times

Advertisements

Making a 10 year old walk 5 miles as punishment is liable to see exercise as abuse, or torture, and turn the kid off permanently to physical exercise, and that would not be a good thing for him or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,288,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Making a 10 year old walk 5 miles as punishment is liable to see exercise as abuse, or torture, and turn the kid off permanently to physical exercise, and that would not be a good thing for him or her.

"Abuse" "torture" "trauma" = buzz words- most overused in today's world for minor issues.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM

51,323 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
She walked two miles, two miles and one mile over the three days, not five all at once. This has been stated multiple times if you read any of the thread or the linked article.Dad followed in the car and drove her the rest of the way each day.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,673,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

"Abuse" "torture" "trauma" = buzz words- most overused in today's world for minor issues.
I wasn't trying to use any "buzz words". I honestly don't know what "buzz word" is suppose to mean. Sounds like a pc term if you ask me.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to start a 10 year old off associating exercise as something bad, such as "punishment" when exercise is one of the best things a person can do for his or her body. The child should develop a habit of exercise as part of a daily routine, like showering and brushing his or her teeth, instead of exercising only when they are being punished.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM

22,018 posts, read 25,376,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
He walked with her.
Drove slowly behind her, but yeah.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM

51,323 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to use any "buzz words". I honestly don't know what "buzz word" is suppose to mean. Sounds like a pc term if you ask me.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to start a 10 year old off associating exercise as something bad, such as "punishment" when exercise is one of the best things a person can do for his or her body. The child should develop a habit of exercise as part of a daily routine, like showering and brushing his or her teeth, instead of exercising only when they are being punished.
I don’t think this is true at all. 2 miles is not far. The reason he did that is because she came home from school announcing that she was suspended from the bus and TELLING dad that “now you have to drive me to school”. I think if he did just that he would have been sending a bad message.

My bff used to make her kids drop and do twenty pushups when they were not listening or misbehaving at home. Now teens, both her kids are athletic and in great shape. I think your theory is a little silly.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,061,076 times
Five miles is pretty far, imo, especially in the cold. I don't have an issue with the idea of making her walk to school as punishment but I do think 5 miles is far. I even think 2 miles is far, tbh. In the cold especially. I like to run and walk outside and usually do 2 miles or more and I won't even do it in the winter if it's below like 50, I opt for the gym.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 PM

36,850 posts, read 31,130,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The fact that she bullied a kid in the 1st place speaks volume on her upbringing. Not sure how walking to school is going to fix that behavior. Mom and Dad need to be looked at and if they are not the issue then Mon and Dad need to find the source of her behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I originally said good for the dad but then recent posts have swayed my mind. They raised a bully and now are disciplining the bully. So on one hand it's good that she has consequences for her actions but on the other hand they need to do something with how they are raising her to stop the root cause. Punishing her by making her walk won't do as much as teaching/raising her properly.
I dont think that is necessarily true.
We have all seen kids raised properly that exhibit bad behaviors. We have seen sibling raised together where one is just a black sheep and makes bad decisions, gets on drugs, in trouble with the law, etc.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:18 PM

36,850 posts, read 31,130,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think this is true at all. 2 miles is not far. The reason he did that is because she came home from school announcing that she was suspended from the bus and TELLING dad that “now you have to drive me to school”. I think if he did just that he would have been sending a bad message.

My bff used to make her kids drop and do twenty pushups when they were not listening or misbehaving at home. Now teens, both her kids are athletic and in great shape. I think your theory is a little silly.
Right. exercise/running has been used as punishment for ages. At least in my day many teachers made students do push ups or run laps. Not that I think the walking specifically was the punishment. She walked because she got kicked off the bus. What does a child learn if we are inconvenienced by driving their butts to school. If you lose your ride, you walk.

Two miles is nothing. If she ever plays sports she is going to be running two miles a lot.

And to those who are so concerned that she will be embarrassed by this being put on FB if better get use to it if she continues bullying and unacceptable behavior. There is a paper they put out that has mugshots and the reason a person was arrested. I have also seen judges make inmates walk around the courthouse with signs declaring their crime.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:29 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,546,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Five miles is pretty far, imo, especially in the cold. I don't have an issue with the idea of making her walk to school as punishment but I do think 5 miles is far. I even think 2 miles is far, tbh. In the cold especially. I like to run and walk outside and usually do 2 miles or more and I won't even do it in the winter if it's below like 50, I opt for the gym.

Fifty? LOL I wear a light unlined cotton jacket when it's 50 out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events