Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,241,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This was purely social media that made it viral. Money has nothing to do with it.
It's still a non-story floating on an irrelevant hot-button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,572,891 times
I think what the dad did was terrific, and the subject of bullying is not irrelevant, it creates long term emotional wounds to young victims. Way to make a statement, I hope his daughter becomes less of an a-hole after this, and if not she can keep walking.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:53 PM

51,323 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What the person means is that the media honed in on the situation because this stuff makes for good ratings, and good ratings mean money.
I know what he was saying.i disagree. It went viral THEN the media honed in on it, because it went viral. It is people, the masses, who choose what goes viral and what doesn’t. Even here, this thread will have 25 pages, when other stories will die after 4 posts. It’s not the media who clicks on storie and shares them, it’s us. The media has always followed trends, not created them.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It's still a non-story floating on an irrelevant hot-button.
Apparently it’s not a non story if that many people spread it and shared it and commented on it.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,944,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I know what he was saying.i disagree. It went viral THEN the media honed in on it, because it went viral. It is people, the masses, who choose what goes viral and what doesn’t. Even here, this thread will have 25 pages, when other stories will die after 4 posts. It’s not the media who clicks on storie and shares them, it’s us. The media has always followed trends, not created them.
I have no idea of why you think I tried to say that the media honed in on the thing before it went viral.

One more time, I'm quite aware that this garbage gets picked up by the media after it goes "viral" because idiots on Facebook spread it around. The media then picks up on the garbage because it means increased ratings, and increased ratings mean more money.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I have no idea of why you think I tried to say that the media honed in on the thing before it went viral.

One more time, I'm quite aware that this garbage gets picked up by the media after it goes "viral" because idiots on Facebook spread it around. The media then picks up on the garbage because it means increased ratings, and increased ratings mean more money.
Well of course. Feed the masses what it wants, of course they are going to do that. Just like McDonalds feeds people what it wants, no different. Just like the masses watching The Kardashian’s made it huge, and the media responds by feeding us more Kardashians. That’s not their fault if people prefer French fries to truffles. If people wanted less of this kind of news they’d get less of this kind of news. But look at the threads here, and which end up going on and on and which don’t.

I think a more important story is the bankruptcy of the insurer that holds most of the homeowners policies in Paradise, CA. But that’s not titillating, or controversial, and it’d probably get 5 posts and die. You can’t blame the media for giving its customers what it apparently wants anymore than any other business. No business survives by force-feeding it’s customers filet when they want hamburgers.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,944,151 times
I don't believe I said it was the media's fault.

There's still plenty of coverage concerning things that matter when you look outside of tabloid news, but few posters here seem interested much beyond fluff.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I don't believe I said it was the media's fault.

There's still plenty of coverage concerning things that matter when you look outside of tabloid news, but few posters here seem interested much beyond fluff.
Right I agree. That insurance story was in the media too, but this one caught fire because this is the kind of story people want. My post was aimed more at Cebuan than at you. I just don’t get why people expect media to operate out of some sense of altruism unlike every other business out there that must satisfy the public in order to turn a profit. PBS doesn’t have to and as a result you won’t see stories like this on the news shows in PBS. But that’s also why their ratings are perpetually in the toilet.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,693,956 times
I would agree that bullying has long-term consequences. The dad's a bully and now has taught his daughter to be a bully. So what does he do to teach her that you shouldn't bully, which I would say includes humiliation, but the very thing he wants her to stop.

The walking thing seems to be more him upset that he has to drive her to school and that it's an inconvenience to him that he now has to take her. I don't see how it correlates to bullying or what it would do to address the bullying at all. If bullying was so unacceptable in their household, why is she engaging in it to the point that she has to be kicked off the bus? Seems like this would have been taught before the girl hit 13 years of age.

This just kind of screams "look at me." I've met many parents who have not been responsible parents for most of a child's life and do acts like this to make themselves feel better about not doing anything the previous 11-13 years of their child's life to prevent behavior like this.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 9 days ago)

35,953 posts, read 18,264,006 times
I asked this before, and don't think I got an answer.

Where is her mother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events