Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It's amazing that people rarely speak out against religious beheadings or of those fanatical Muslims who throw gays off of tall buildings. People are too concerned about the dangers of the offensive Christian candy canes and hot cross buns.
Yeah, because those things happen so frequently in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They can put someones eye out though.
That's funny. If true that candy canes were banned, that is going too far. If Candy Canes were presented with a card giving a legend of the candy cane and how it represents Jesus, then the parents should know better than to send something to public school that intends to proselytize the students.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
"The principal said it was a way to be “inclusive and culturally sensitive” to all students"

When a hard-left liberal says this, it is understood to incorporate the following by reference: "Except for anyone who is white, male, heterosexual, conservative, and/or Christian."

Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They can put someones eye out though.

Yes but nobody will be offended.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
these are the people that get Trump elected

Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
these are the people that get Trump elected
Probably, but there have been stories like this every year for as long as I can recall. As I said above, there's a difference between some kind of organized effort to ban candy canes or raindeer cartoons, and one ignorant fool doing so in the pocket universe of one school or business or whatever. But predictably, the internet blows up with huge all-channels debate, proving the number of gullible idiots is endless.

(Wait, not "gullible" since that's not a real word in the dictionary. Make it "knee-jerk.")

Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Probably, but there have been stories like this every year for as long as I can recall. As I said above, there's a difference between some kind of organized effort to ban candy canes or raindeer cartoons, and one ignorant fool doing so in the pocket universe of one school or business or whatever. But predictably, the internet blows up with huge all-channels debate, proving the number of gullible idiots is endless.

(Wait, not "gullible" since that's not a real word in the dictionary. Make it "knee-jerk.")
Huh?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gullible

(And, yes, I admit that I am someone who IS gullible -- unfortunately -- although I don't think there is any kind of organized effort to ban candy canes, Santa Clauses, etc.)

Or did you just post that to see if some people might be gullible to think that gullible wasn't a real word?

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM

75 posts, read 43,889 times
Two Words: Home School.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And the definition?

Quote:
(And, yes, I admit that I am someone who IS gullible -- unfortunately -- although I don't think there is any kind of organized effort to ban candy canes, Santa Clauses, etc.)
The point is that there is ALWAYS one idiot out there, whose actions affect somewhere between zero actual people and the population of that school, business or whatever. It's amusing. It's meaningless. But it always sparks this furious, involved debate as if it's a national referendum on erasing the word "Christmas" from the dictionary (just to choose an example ).

My favorite is when some extreme-even-for-California legislator, usually a representative from Berkeley or San Francisco, puts up a bill to ban cars or make everyone ride bicycles or outlaw mobile phones. These loons aren't even taken seriously by their peers, but the news channels and internet explode as if the jackbooted stormtroopers are knocking on people's doors for their iPhones.

Amusing. Not worth a moment's outrage or argument.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Better to ban or reduce sugar intake due to tangible health consequences than some make up symbolism to make an appeasement gesture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events