Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-pr...-jesus-1248609

Someone PLEASE kill me....this is beyond the beyonds. (she also banned Santa and ornament making)

Good grief, the woman was stupid. There is a set of guidelines that apply to her school which gives all the things that can be used. She really didn't do her homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That would not surprise me at all if someone decided representations of snowmen are racist or non-inclusive. That we need snowmen and snowwomen of all races and colors. And I'm not joking either because this could very well happen.
Or how about that racist White House that was built by black slaves?

If I'm not mistaken, years ago some feminists had a problem with snowman. They wanted them referred to as snowpersons.

We used to called them mailmen.
We used to say stewardesses, not flight attendants.
We used to call them policemen. Today it's police officer.

We used to be about to say "he and she" without any flack too.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:41 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

If I'm not mistaken, years ago some feminists had a problem with snowman. They wanted them referred to as snowpersons.

I don't necessarily have a problem with using different names, (like police officer instead of policemen) the problem becomes when someone decides to create "FUROR" about the names. For example lots of elderly people from a different generation still use terms that are no longer in common usage; they aren't trying to be rude, that's just the term they were taught growing up. There's no point in going after them for not using the socially correct word. I've even seen people get threatened over things like this. I'm struggling right now with whether I should give my kid's teachers a Christmas gift. I don't know how to handle it so I might just not give them anything at all. I'd love to give their teachers a Christmas card with my child's picture on it and just putting in my kid's backpack for them to give to the teacher, but if I do this - what could happen to us? What could happen to my child? Would I get a phone call from the principal? Would my child be expelled from school for the day? We have to live in fear because of things like this.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:23 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Don't be so sure. Snowmen are white, therefore it won't be long now before someone decides that they are racist, as well as the snow they are made of.

I'm surprised the National Weather Service hasn't been sued yet for snow always being white.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with using different names, (like police officer instead of policemen) the problem becomes when someone decides to create "FUROR" about the names. For example lots of elderly people from a different generation still use terms that are no longer in common usage; they aren't trying to be rude, that's just the term they were taught growing up. There's no point in going after them for not using the socially correct word. I've even seen people get threatened over things like this. I'm struggling right now with whether I should give my kid's teachers a Christmas gift. I don't know how to handle it so I might just not give them anything at all. I'd love to give their teachers a Christmas card with my child's picture on it and just putting in my kid's backpack for them to give to the teacher, but if I do this - what could happen to us? What could happen to my child? Would I get a phone call from the principal? Would my child be expelled from school for the day? We have to live in fear because of things like this.
Sad but true. I decided years ago to send out Christmas cards with Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Attractive ones are getting harder to find in the box. I've never heard a complaint, but I'm sure no one would tell me to my face. It's a sad statement about society when we have to worry about things like this.

I can't remember if the things I listed were the result of a huge fury. I don't think so, at least not like we see today. Maybe it was just the beginning, and the warning of things to come.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:

Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:

I've never seen this but if you say so. Are you certain someone wasn't just kidding around?

Well, that's when they were all men.

That's when they were all women.

Again, all male.

Sometimes words and phrases change for better clarification as the times change. Would a man really want to be called a stewardess? It would seem a bit odd to call a woman a policeMAN or a mailMAN?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sometimes words and phrases change for better clarification as the times change. Would a man really want to be called a stewardess? It would seem a bit odd to call a woman a policeMAN or a mailMAN?
^^^ ... another one who's offended and overly concerned about stupid stuff.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Minervah didn't strike me as offended at all. Just pointing out that words have meaning. Maybe you're the one who's being too touchy?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Like having a penis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events