Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Does this mean we should, in certain school districts, ban the type of cane that is an inverted 'J' shape?
One Christmas tradition website I read said the origin behind the candy cane was to remind people of the crook carried by the shepherds who visited Mary, Joseph, and newborn Jesus in the Bethlehem stable. That was also my vague recollection from childhood too. Well, leave it to the present day to get upset about the shape of a piece of candy. Everything seems to provide fodder for the much-too-easily-insulted, the much-too-easily threatened, the much-too-easily panicked.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-10-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 PM

149 posts, read 104,252 times
It's a candy CANE. CANE.

This reminds me of a woman in LA who worked for the federal government and filed a sexual harassment lawsuit because someone said to her "Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas" which she took to mean "Hoe, Hoe, Hoe, Merry Christmas".

Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

And what is "Jewish extraction"? I'm talking about people who explicitly identify as Jewish and belong to a Jewish religious congregation, not someone who happens to have relatives at some point in their family tree who were Jewish.
EXCUSE YOU????????

I am a DIRECT descendant of several families of Sephardic Jews that came to be based on the island of Jamaica, the namely the Ansell, Nunes, Corinaldi and Alberga families, the latter being my own surname. And screw " at some point" in my family tree. FYI - My father's ENTIRE family on HIS father's side is Jewish, all the way down the line.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
You'd think a teacher would realize that the letter J has a horizontal line across the top. I've never seen a candy cane look like that!

Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
EXCUSE YOU????????

I am a DIRECT descendant of several families of Sephardic Jews that came to be based on the island of Jamaica, the namely the Ansell, Nunes, Corinaldi and Alberga families, the latter being my own surname. And screw " at some point" in my family tree. FYI - My father's ENTIRE family on HIS father's side is Jewish, all the way down the line.
You are so offended by asking a question? I asked what you meant by "Jewish extraction" because to me, that sounds like something different than a person who identifies as Jewish - which I still don't actually know whether or not you are, because your phrasing kind of indicates that you personally are not Jewish, although you have relatives who are. But perhaps I am misreading your posts, that is always one of the drawbacks of this type of communication.

Which doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your opinion either way, of course. But I personally think there is a difference between someone who identifies as a currently practicing Jew who chooses to celebrate Christmas (meaning personally in their own home, not participating in friends' or community activities) and someone who has Jewish relatives or maybe even was raised in a Jewish home but doesn't identify as Jewish in a religious sense.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
In all of my years as a Roman Catholic, I have never heard of the candy cane being an inverted J.
If I thought all day, the best I could come up with is that it might be scepter of Saint Peter. I've never heard that either.

This bimbo has been suspended. That's good enough for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well, I know everyone is criticizing this but the reality is the school is totally missing the point anyway

There is no such thing as a secular symbol of a religious holiday. Yes, the trees and eggs themselves are secular but they are inextricably tied to a holiday that is religious in nature. As a Jewish person, this is an ongoing struggle every year. My child doesn't celebrate Christmas, period. Trees, candy canes ornaments, Santa Claus, none of it is applicable.

If they are doing a unit on holidays in general and include discussions of Hanukkah, Eid al-Fitr, Kwanzaa, Diwali or whatever, then of course Christmas can and should be included.

But when you observe ONLY Christmas but claim it's ok because you are using secular representations, then trust me, a Jewish or other non-Christian child is being discriminated against and being told they are supposed to be observing a Christian holiday.
When 80 to 90 percent of a country celebrates a Christian holiday, you claim that it's not OK to stand by and just be tolerant? No one is demanding that you stand up and say a Hail Mary.

The first amendment says that Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion. It also talks of the free exercise of religion. That's a long way from social activism that attempts to prevent the constitutionally protected celebration of Christmas in a school or anywhere else.

When two stewardesses wish a man a merry Christmas and he gets so angry that he is removed from the plane, that's anti social behavior. There are other examples of this antisocial behavior toward Christians, some experienced by me as a Roman Catholic who worked in New York City.

My posts on the political forum are almost all liberal opinions, but your efforts to stop this "discrimination" as you see it, is unacceptable, because Christmas goes back to when I was very very young. When you attack my cultural traditions by calling them discriminatory because of an overwhelming number of celebrants, that's where you lose me.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
But even so, a choice that someone makes for themselves and their family is still very different than it being imposed on them by a public institution like a school, which is not supposed to be promote one particular religion.

I think that you read too much into the first amendment. It specifically mentions Congress. The only reason why schools back off when threatened and municipalities back off when threatened is that they wish to avoid the expense of a lawsuit not because you are legally or morally correct.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
The principle shouldn't be around children, she's very ignorant.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Exactly!!

I always laugh at those folks that make it a point to say 'Happy holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'...they do not realize Christmas IS THE HOLIDAY!!
Christmas is YOUR holiday. Nearly every culture and religion has a holiday late in the year, including the very secular new year's eve.
People who insist that the only holiday is Christmas seem contemptuous of the beliefs of others. Shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events