Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember when Hot Cross Buns were banned by the Brits at Easter time? They feared the sugary cross on the roll would offend Muslims, Hindus and various non-Christian groups.

Here's one article about it. I thought it had happened in the USA, but a google search only brought up the UK.

If this wasn't true it would be laughable. Well, it's still laughable, but in a sick way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...hristians.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Anyone remember when Hot Cross Buns were banned by the Brits at Easter time? They feared the sugary cross on the roll would offend Muslims, Hindus and various non-Christian groups.

Here's one article about it. I thought it had happened in the USA, but a google search only brought up the UK.

If this wasn't true it would be laughable. Well, it's still laughable, but in a sick way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...hristians.html
Particularly laughable because England has an official state religion. The US, however, does not.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
<sigh> After reading threads such as this one I don't wonder the likelihood of visiting aliens to Earth having discovered long ago that there's no intelligent life down here.

Oh they probably came, took a quick look and said "I knew we should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque."

Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I just respond with "I don't celebrate holidays, I celebrate Christmas".
And you are entitled to say that.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Interesting. We always studied the Hanukkah traditions, along with the Christmas ones, when I was in school.

I remember singing the dreidel song in school chorus. And that was 40, 50 years ago! Maybe it was because of the area I grew up in.

So, I guess now none of the celebrations of the "Holidays" should be discussed or studied in school. We're left with shopping, snowmen, and hot chocolate. How very blah.
And your conclusion is 180 degrees opposite what I said. If schools want to discuss all the different holidays and celebrations that occur, then of course Christmas and other Christian holidays should be included. My concern is when Christmas and Easter are the ONLY ones that get mentioned and observed in any manner.

More information and exposure to all the beliefs and cultures of the people who make up our country is great. Forcing one particular belief system on everyone because it's the majority is not.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:24 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Seems like there are all kinds of ways to be culturally inclusive...that doesn't actually exclude a culture.

You could have a day or two about Feliz Navidad, a day or two about Chanukah, a day or 2 about Kwanzaa, and winter holidays around the world, and how they all contribute to a Happy and joyous season for everyone.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I have no problem with the banning of candy canes as you could put somebody's eye out with one of those if you're not careful

Old 12-12-2018, 11:58 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And your conclusion is 180 degrees opposite what I said. If schools want to discuss all the different holidays and celebrations that occur, then of course Christmas and other Christian holidays should be included. My concern is when Christmas and Easter are the ONLY ones that get mentioned and observed in any manner.

More information and exposure to all the beliefs and cultures of the people who make up our country is great. Forcing one particular belief system on everyone because it's the majority is not.
Usually the people who want Christmas allowed in public schools are the same ones who absolutely FLIP OUT anytime there's even a mention of Ramadan.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I have no problem with the banning of candy canes as you could put somebody's eye out with one of those if you're not careful
What about pencils?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What about pencils?

Pencils are allowed. They're not shaped like a J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events