Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

How long before they try to tax the steps we take and the breaths we take throughout our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
As I said in the other thread, to see just how charitable the people of California are, make it a box they can check to voluntarily pay.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
I think it's funny. Some people are addicted to texting. Looks like they'll have to find a new hobby.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 AM

7,645 posts, read 4,594,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
How will the CPUC enforce this in these cases::

1/ Someone buys an out of state phone with a non-California area code, and brings it in state?
2/ A California area code mobile phone gets taken out of state, is it still charged?
3/ A mobile user who doesn’t use text, are they still charged?
Chicago uses patronage jobs.

California creates departments to whose sole focus will be this.

States With Most Government Employees: Totals and Per Capita Rates

About 1:10 state workers is employed by California as of 2014. Now, that works out about right if you figure California has a little over 10% of the population...but then you also need to believe that there are no opportunities for economies of scale.

Basically there are economies of scale, but there's just more departments. There are departments that work for a living that are chronically understaffed, and then there's the hookup jobs. Someone gets hooked up to run something like this, hires their cronies and they go and regulate something. I mean, someone needs to issue permits and determine whether or not you can cut down a tree in your yard, right? Changing the sink...there's a permit needed for that.

These people will have one sole job, so they tend to actually do it....on their own timeline. They're not so active as to actually chase down texters, but they will force companies doing business there to show them how they are complying with the law and will sic on them until compliance is shown. Then they can let things slide and cake walk their way into a pension. Eventually, after years of being lead by some moron, the system will be utterly broken and consultants get called in to fix it. Their recommendations may in turn, give opportunity for even more departments, because it's never someone's fault...it's an area that no department owns at this point. Look, I'm a tree guy, not a shrub guy. Hey hey hey...don't yell at me, I do sinks, toilets is someone else.

The bad news....yeah you'll probably violate some law. The good news...the people doing it are unlikely to be ambitious enough to go far beyond the big fish for fleecing...unless someone doesn't like you.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I have never sent a text in my life, so I don't care. And I cant imagine I will ever need to.

At one time, I thought that myself as well,of what a waste it was.

BUT, they do have their purposes, such as when I need to send to a group of divers that the dive is off today because of floods. Or when I have time to get the message out to someone in the off hours and they can be informed when they wake up. Or to send out an "I'm okay" or a position report upon landing.

I wonder how they will tax it, by the letters sent? If so, a justification of those "other languages".

Old 12-14-2018, 06:42 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
PART of the PUC revenue is used to provide low-cost telecom to low-income households, which has been a practice since before WWII and covers a lot more ground than cell phones for the homeless.

Try again.

I thought that was what Obama phones were about and they are a federal program?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
And it won't be long before NY takes notice.

Great. Yet another tax/fee from which "the poor" will be exempt.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I don't understand how they will do this, don't we already pay tax on our cell phone bill regardless of whether we use it for phone or text or data? California home of nuts and berries

Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Someone has to pay for this:

Quote:
"California, with its suffocating cost of living and huge population, is home to an inordinate number of households receiving public assistance. In fact, with $103 billion going toward welfare, the Golden State’s spending on the financially needy is more than the next two on the list combined. New York, at number two, paid out $61.4 billion in 2015, while Texas, in the third spot, spent $35.4 billion, according to U.S. Census Bureau data."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no...ing-2017-11-28

Quote:
"California's poverty rate is higher than any other U.S. state—though it has improved since last year, when the Census Bureau reported that 20.4 percent of residents were living below the poverty line." Sep 14, 2018

https://la.curbed.com/2018/9/14/1785...cost-of-living

Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Using an app doesn't preclude that it uses the SMS channel.
It does make it considerably less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events