Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Which outbreak do you live near?
It’s not me, it’s my daughter. She lives in 1 of the NINETEEN states experiencing measles outbreaks in 2019.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

From January 1 to April 4, 2019, 465** individual cases of measles have been confirmed in 19 states. This is the second-greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since measles was eliminated in 2000.

The states that have reported cases to CDC are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Amazing! We agree on something. I have suggested that very thing in several vaccine threads.
LOL ... It won't last; I should take a screenshot!

It's a concession on my part, based on the indisputable fact that our recent US outbreaks have been started by traveling unvaccinated kids introducing the illness upon re-entry. Traveling abroad is a choice, if not a luxury & if the choice to not vaccinate has already been wearing out your welcome in your community, you should not just help yourself to another, even riskier choice; unless you are willing to make some concessions as well.

That's rude & it does seem to reflect a sense of entitlement. It is also now compromising the children of parents who have chosen not to vaccinate due to valid concerns for a predisposition to an adverse reaction to vaccines.

There is a difference between being "Antivaccine" & being protective of children who have been or could be marginalized by a vaccine injury & the utter failure of public health policy to recognize them.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Thanks for the anecdote. How to you explain the major decline in measles deaths prior to the vaccine?
You're welcome.

Deaths declined due to better health care, some of that stuff coschristi was talking about. However, scientists were concerned because deaths had leveled off in the decade before the vaccine came out. It was one of the impetuses for developing the vaccine.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:02 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Thanks for the anecdote. How to you explain the major decline in measles deaths prior to the vaccine?
Better medical care obviously prevented some deaths, especially with the advent of antibiotics to treat secondary infections.

The case fatality rate has not really declined. The number of deaths was still higher before the vaccine because there were more cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
LOL ... It won't last; I should take a screenshot!

It's a concession on my part, based on the indisputable fact that our recent US outbreaks have been started by traveling unvaccinated kids introducing the illness upon re-entry. Traveling abroad is a choice, if not a luxury & if the choice to not vaccinate has already been wearing out your welcome in your community, you should not just help yourself to another, even riskier choice; unless you are willing to make some concessions as well.

That's rude & it does seem to reflect a sense of entitlement. It is also now compromising the children of parents who have chosen not to vaccinate due to valid concerns for a predisposition to an adverse reaction to vaccines.

There is a difference between being "Antivaccine" & being protective of children who have been or could be marginalized by a vaccine injury & the utter failure of public health policy to recognize them.
The thing is that there is no way to tell which children could have an adverse reaction to a vaccine. It would be great if we could do that.

The fact is that a large number of parents claim their children are "vaccine injured" when there is no evidence that the vaccine did what it is claimed to have done. That includes autism.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-08-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It’s not me, it’s my daughter. She lives in 1 of the NINETEEN states experiencing measles outbreaks in 2019.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

From January 1 to April 4, 2019, 465** individual cases of measles have been confirmed in 19 states. This is the second-greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since measles was eliminated in 2000.

The states that have reported cases to CDC are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
An outbreak is defined as three or more cases. I live in one of the states you listed and there was one case so not an outbreak.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
An outbreak is defined as three or more cases. I live in one of the states you listed and there was one case so not an outbreak.
How nice for you. Here are some details on cases and outbreaks during peak years since 2008:

Reasons for an increase in cases bolded below. This is what we have to look forward to as more and more people decline vaccines just because.

2018: The U.S. experienced 17 outbreaks in 2018. Three outbreaks in New York State, New York City, and New Jersey, respectively, contributed to most of the cases. Cases in those states occurred primarily among unvaccinated people in Orthodox Jewish communities. These outbreaks were associated with travelers who brought measles back from Israel, where a large outbreak is occurring. Eighty-two people brought measles to the U.S. from other countries in 2018. This is the greatest number of imported cases since measles was eliminated from the U.S. in 2000.

2017: A 75-case outbreak was reported in Minnesota in a Somali-American community with poor vaccination coverage.

2015: The United States experienced a large (147 cases), multi-state measles outbreak linked to an amusement park in California. The outbreak likely started from a traveler who became infected overseas with measles, then visited the amusement park while infectious; however, no source was identified. Analysis by CDC scientists showed that the measles virus type in this outbreak (B3) was identical to the virus type that caused the large measles outbreak in the Philippines in 2014.

2014: The U.S. experienced 23 measles outbreaks in 2014, including one large outbreak of 383 cases, occurring primarily among unvaccinated Amish communities in Ohio. Many of the cases in the U.S. in 2014 were associated with cases brought in from the Philippines, which experienced a large measles outbreak.
2013: The U.S. experienced 11 outbreaks in 2013, three of which had more than 20 cases, including an outbreak with 58 cases. For more information see Measles — United States, January 1-August 24, 2013.

2011: In 2011, more than 30 countries in the WHO European Region reported an increase in measles, and France was experiencing a large outbreak. These led to a large number of importations (80) that year. Most of the cases that were brought to the U.S. in 2011 came from France. For more information see Measles — United States, January-May 20, 2011.

2008: The increase in cases in 2008 was the result of spread in communities with groups of unvaccinated people. The U.S. experienced several outbreaks in 2008 including three large outbreaks. For more information see Update: Measles — United States, January–July 2008.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-08-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The difference is you want to require vaccines for entry to the US AND take away all exemptions. I’m sure once that’s accomplished you’ll then start gunning for adult mandates. “Don’t want your flu vaccine? Then good luck renewing your driver’s license. Your choice”. Right Suzy?
Ideally, the CDC would stop playing Hot-Potato with the research needed to support broadening the criteria for contraindications to vaccines to include known genetic susceptibility.

Ideally, the CDC would acknowledge that the WHO has agreed to monitor some of the potential discrepancies in the immunization schedule that may be contributing to both decreased efficiacy to & increased adverse reactions to; the MMR.

The CDC is assuming that improving the safety of a policy is admitting to a currently unsafe policy & that will eventually erode the public’s confidence, not ensure it.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are making the assumption that all "licensed independent practitioners" are doctors, and no employees are. Both are untrue. Many PAs and NPs are independent as well, and many doctors work for the hospitals including hospitalists and doctors who work for practices owned by hospitals.
The hospitals were responding as to the vaccination status of the practitioners with privileges at their facility. This would naturally include any practitioner who would be rounding in the NICU.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
So? In that Canadian outbreak of 2011, 1 person, a teacher, caused 673 further cases. They called it "serendipity". Another term for that is "sh*t happens".

Quote:
Ideally, the CDC would stop playing Hot-Potato with the research needed to support broadening the criteria for contraindications to vaccines to include known genetic susceptibility.

Ideally, the CDC would acknowledge that the WHO has agreed to monitor some of the potential discrepancies in the immunization schedule that may be contributing to both decreased efficiacy to & increased adverse reactions to; the MMR.

The CDC is assuming that improving the safety of a policy is admitting to a currently unsafe policy & that will eventually erode the public’s confidence, not ensure it.
1. Genetic susceptibility to what, exactly?

2. Can you document that the WHO has agreed to monitor this? The second dose of measles vaccine was recommended in 1989, and implemented several years later. I can't find the exact year it became age 4-6 for everyone.

3. That's a logic fail.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The hospitals were responding as to the vaccination status of the practitioners with privileges at their facility. This would naturally include any practitioner who would be rounding in the NICU.
Yes, but as I said before, some doctors are employees of the hospital (employees) and some NPs and PAs, among others, are licensed independent practitioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events