Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I’ve always hated these talk shows, even when I was a teenager and my friends thought they were hysterical. To me these were real people who were suffering and/or lacked the cognitive abilities to fully understand the ramifications of participating in the show. It just made me sad- still would if I watched them.
This was a helpful comment. I was wondering, "didn't he know there might be a lie detector test involved". Presumably he was a regular watcher of the show, and had an idea of how things would go. Poor guy.

Here's more info from the article:

Quote:
Callaghan revealed that Dymond had been diagnosed with depression in February but obtained a doctor’s note in order to take part in the show, insisting he would prove to her he had remained faithful.
Boy, I bet that doctor's having some regrets. How awful for everyone!

I don't know if we can assume he cheated on his gf. Lie detector tests can give false positives, can't they? If he was nervous, it could have, I think.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-15-2019 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He cheated on his girlfriend then blamed the show for the relationship ending?

FWIW I've met Jerry Springer in Sarasota, Florida a bunch of times (he used to be a regular in my husband's restaurant) and he is just the sweetest, nicest man.
Celebrities will always act 'nice" to you. It benefits them to do so.

I met a drug dealer and another person who is a narcissist and they act like "sweethearts"

It benefits them.

Although maybe I am wrong, he might be a decent person.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Celebrities will always act 'nice" to you. It benefits them to do so.

I met a drug dealer and another person who is a narcissist and they act like "sweethearts"

It benefits them.

Although maybe I am wrong, he might be a decent person.
People don't always behave according to self-interest, in my observation. There are plenty of snooty people will not stop being snooty; it's just their nature to be that way. But toward the owner/co-owner/owner's spouse of their favorite restaurant? Maybe. But it also could be that he's just a nice guy.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Lie detector tests are so dis functioning.

I watched one where given how the questions were posed..it was meant to trap the person and come to some very misconstrued conclusions.

A gal insisted her bf was cheating.
Here were three questions asked :
Sir, have you ever bought dinner for anyone other then your gf Sally sue. ?
Well duh!!! I'm sure he had. Maybe his cousin or his sister. But because they were building up the drama they used this question to cast doubt on him. It's a catch 22. If he says yes I have. Most assumed it's for this mysterious other woman.
They also asked the guy: have you ever been out late at night and not told Sally sue. There again...maybe at 17 he was out late and didn't even know Sally sue.

These 'machines' are not the 100%...it must be true!

I'm sorry this gent had to endure a public shame. And sham as it was.
His life meant the world to someone. ...now it's lost. So sad.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I may sound cold for saying it, but I find it hard to have sympathy for a guy like this...he kills himself, because he was caught cheating or lying to his GF on some talk show??? He must have been pretty shallow in his life is all I can think of to explain it.

Plus, this relationship is THAT important to him...that he takes his own life as a result of it ending? CMON, really! He is willing to dive head first into death (and the complete unknown that is the afterlife), all because of this????!! I wonder if he stopped to consider, that once he does this, there is a chance he could end up somewhere MUCH MUCH worse...and what he is going to do then, once you are dead, cannot kill yourself again?

And since he killed himself, he is not able to feel or experience the relief from committing the act in the first place, (when that is what suicidal people seek the most).
When I try to kill myself, it is always to escape what I am going through at the time.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People don't always behave according to self-interest, in my observation. There are plenty of snooty people will not stop being snooty; it's just their nature to be that way. But toward the owner/co-owner/owner's spouse of their favorite restaurant? Maybe. But it also could be that he's just a nice guy.
Who makes a living off flaunting the misery and stupidity of others. Okay....

Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
He OD'd and therefore I feel no sympathy or compassion for him at all.
His life, his choice. That's how he wanted to end it, it's on him.
Evidently he was being selfish as he didn't consider his family that would be left with tons of questions.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Add the beloved Ellen to the list of sick hosts. She has a "game show" that humiliates contestants and puts them through demeaning, slapstick stunts, while Ellen laughs and mocks them... all with her sick tongue-in-cheek manner, of course. Ellen pays them to humiliate themselves for an equally sick audience that claps and grins at the contestant's misery.

As long as people are laughing and being entertained, anything goes. They defend it by calling it humor, and then they turn around and tell people like me that we need a sense of humor, as if we're the problem, not them.

If that's humor today, no thanks. I think it's sick stuff.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Add the beloved Ellen to the list of sick hosts. She has a "game show" that humiliates contestants and puts them through demeaning, slapstick stunts, while Ellen laughs and mocks them... all with her sick tongue-in-cheek manner, of course. Ellen pays them to humiliate themselves for an equally sick audience that claps and grins at the contestant's misery.

As long as people are laughing and being entertained, anything goes. They defend it by calling it humor, and then they turn around and tell people like me that we need a sense of humor, as if we're the problem, not them.

If that's humor today, no thanks. I think it's sick stuff.
I don’t see her show that way at all. I think she’s laughing with them. Those contestants know exactly what the game show is. They’re all there to have fun. I don’t think it’s even in the same ballpark as those other shows.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
In the nineties the Jenny Jones show tricked a mentally ill man which triggered him to murder another guest. That should have been the end of these shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Scott_Amedure

Yes I was just thinking of that. It was a horrible incident. That was the beginning of the end of her show. But yet today dozens of these types of programs still air worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events