Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times

Advertisements

It's obvious the guy had other serious issues long before he went on this program.

But you wonder about the kinds of weird people that are more than willing to appear on these trash shows to potentially humiliate themselves.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...123837728.html

Quote:
The man believed to have killed himself shortly after appearing as a guest on The Jeremy Kyle Show has been identified as Steven Dymond, whose relationship ended on the British talk show after he failed a lie-detector test.

The 63-year-old grandfather was found dead from a suspected drug overdose at his rental in Hampshire, England, 10 days after filming the ITV daytime show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
I may sound cold for saying it, but I find it hard to have sympathy for a guy like this...he kills himself, because he was caught cheating or lying to his GF on some talk show??? He must have been pretty shallow in his life is all I can think of to explain it.

Plus, this relationship is THAT important to him...that he takes his own life as a result of it ending? CMON, really! He is willing to dive head first into death (and the complete unknown that is the afterlife), all because of this????!! I wonder if he stopped to consider, that once he does this, there is a chance he could end up somewhere MUCH MUCH worse...and what he is going to do then, once you are dead, cannot kill yourself again?

And since he killed himself, he is not able to feel or experience the relief from committing the act in the first place, (when that is what suicidal people seek the most).

Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,560,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I may sound cold for saying it, but I find it hard to have sympathy for a guy like this...he kills himself, because he was caught cheating or lying to his GF on some talk show??? He must have been pretty shallow in his life is all I can think of to explain it.

Plus, this relationship is THAT important to him...that he takes his own life as a result of it ending? CMON, really! He is willing to dive head first into death (and the complete unknown that is the afterlife), all because of this????!! I wonder if he stopped to consider, that once he does this, there is a chance he could end up somewhere MUCH MUCH worse...and what he is going to do then, once you are dead, cannot kill yourself again?

And since he killed himself, he is not able to feel or experience the relief from committing the act in the first place, (when that is what suicidal people seek the most).
Yeah, you do come off as cold for sure. When someone kills themselves they aren't looking for a feeling of "relief" they are just looking to not feel at all. Where the hell do you get these stupid ideas from?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 5,229 times
I think the whole point of this life is you don't get to sum up his existance, never having known him, by being a judgmental "expert." Consider everyone that thinks you are like this...and bet it's a huge chunk of your family, you haven't got a clue what makes people tick, aside from what makes YOU tick. already think YOU are a jerk the way you responded. Have sympathy and empathy and stop pouncing on the first person you feel better than and degrading them even more.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 AM

6 posts, read 5,229 times
and i meant that to rstevens 62, not duke. all of us can get totally turned round by wording/s, eh? dam

Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,465,656 times
I’ve always hated these talk shows, even when I was a teenager and my friends thought they were hysterical. To me these were real people who were suffering and/or lacked the cognitive abilities to fully understand the ramifications of participating in the show. It just made me sad- still would if I watched them.

I’m surprised there haven’t been more suicides or other violent acts as a result of appearing on these shows. Most of the people who appear seem to already have mental struggles.

Why does most of the population love watching others be humiliated- be it on talk shows or reality shows? Why do we love a bully but mock those with empathy and compassion? Is it because most people are nasty and secretly wish they could say the things that are being g said? Or is it because it makes people feel better about the negative things in their own lives?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Apparently, this was one of those 'real' tabloid shows.

I had a brother-in-law who had a very minor acting career: a bit role in a straight-to-video movie, a couple of local commercials, and an appearance on Jerry Springer. I can't remember the exact storyline, but he had a script and used whatever name the script called for, and he met his 'wife' (the woman who played his character's wife) just before taping. It was something about a love triangle, I think, but I don't recall the details. He didn't get paid, but he did get a free trip to Chicago (flight, nice hotel for a couple of nights, limo service) out of it.

So apparently, some of these shows feature real people and real circumstances, and some are fiction. They all sound idiotic. This sort of television has got to be scraping the absolute bottom of the cultural barrel.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk31 View Post
I think the whole point of this life is you don't get to sum up his existance, never having known him, by being a judgmental "expert." Consider everyone that thinks you are like this...and bet it's a huge chunk of your family, you haven't got a clue what makes people tick, aside from what makes YOU tick. already think YOU are a jerk the way you responded. Have sympathy and empathy and stop pouncing on the first person you feel better than and degrading them even more.
Amen to this! Rsteven's cold comment chilled me to the core. His judgmental, non-caring attitude is one reason why some people can't handle life anymore. It's everywhere.

That dead fellow had multi-problems, I'm sure. The talk show host, who earns a living humiliating people, might have pushed him over the edge, but none of us should presume to know the real reason for his suicide.

Why do these talk shows still exist? No rich people ever agree to do talk shows like that. The guests are the poorer, less educated among us. They are the ones desperate enough for the money the talk shows pay them.

People get fired from their jobs for uttering something deemed racist by society, yet everyone is blind to the freak shows that publicly humiliate the contestants. It is bullying at its finest. I don't understand the mind and heart of people who watch these shows. As for me and my household, we do not.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,658 posts, read 18,021,886 times
I think few people realize the damage those shows leave in their wake.

I have extended family on my husband's side who live in the sticks, kind of ignorant folks, easily fooled.

They went on Maury Povich under the guise of a mother daughter makeover and fun weekend at a luxury hotel. It was something about heavy teens needing a wardrobe makeover. They were also promised a lot of upscale clothing,

Oh my gosh. After it aired, they had to move because she could no longer go back to the same middle school - the show was horrid.

They put her in horrible, skin tight, revealing clothes and told her to dance provocatively (out of sight of her mother, BTW), talked to her about being sexually active - which she wasn't, and filmed her crying that she was being bullied.

The footage that was positive - the love between mom and the girl - the beautiful new clothes and runway reveal of the girls, etc, was on the cutting room floor.

So after filming, they came back home and were bragging to everyone that they were on Maury and gave the date, and everyone watched.

I pretended - to this day - that I hadn't seen it.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's obvious the guy had other serious issues long before he went on this program.

But you wonder about the kinds of weird people that are more than willing to appear on these trash shows to potentially humiliate themselves.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...123837728.html
Why did the guy agree to do the show if he already knew the outcome (him failing)? Are the guest paid to attend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events