Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:31 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
There aren't enough tigers to eat all the billions of people on earth. Tiger numbers dwindling down to just several thousands worldwide.
Lol! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of alligators. Of course, alligators don't eat fresh meat. I think their preference is to let the food decompose for a while. No one really likes alligators either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
I think its a good idea. Better yet just have burials at sea, right back into the system, much tidier.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
What about take the corpse to the Zoo and be eaten by tigers?
Wouldn't work for me. I would be too stringy and tough, the Tigers would choke. Now a pack of African wild dogs (100 or so) might get the job done. I'd hate to see what they'd do to a tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjsdgLKmB8&app=desktop

Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Funerals and burials are for the living, not the deceased. As far as I'm concerned if family members want a funeral for their loved one, then they should have to pay for it. I'm opting for cremation, which really isn't that cheap, but much better tens of thousands of dollars just so my survivors can mourn my passing in style. Their show, they can foot the bill.
THIS^^^. When my cousin died, his wife put on a three day circus, complete with a three-gun salute in the cemetery during a New York mid-winter. It wasn't for him. He wanted nothing fancy, no funeral, no fuss. But his diva wife and daughters couldn't miss the opportunity to throw themselves into the "grieving widow" spotlight, while putting the rest of the family through three days of agonizing hell.
My cousin would have preferred to be cremated and see the funeral money go to a charitable cause... and the wife and daughters knew it, but didn't care. Had he known that his dying request would have been ignored, he'd have written it all down.

Don't trust your own loved ones to respect your wishes when the time comes.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Lol! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of alligators. Of course, alligators don't eat fresh meat. I think their preference is to let the food decompose for a while. No one really likes alligators either.
Pigs. With all the bacon I've eaten in my day, it would be Karma. But as someone posted, you wouldn't want the pigs to get some communicable disease, you'd have to cook or microwave the remains first.

The problem I have with the new composting method, is that the deceased might get dizzy being turned over and over in the machine (kidding). Plus, it's hard to believe the skeleton would be broken down that quickly - is it, or do they grind it the way they do cremains, to make that fine dust?

But IMHO, cremation, composting, eaten by pigs, whatever, beats paying ten grand in order to take up room in a cemetery for the next century. Better to farm that plot of earth and grow tomatoes on it instead.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:46 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Pigs. With all the bacon I've eaten in my day, it would be Karma. But as someone posted, you wouldn't want the pigs to get some communicable disease, you'd have to cook or microwave the remains first.
Hey, if someone died from heart disease from eating all that bacon, then I think it's fair if the pig died of a communicable disease. Turn about is fair play... Besides, that might be one way of controlling all the wild hogs.

I personally wouldn't mind being planted under a rose bush. Personally, I love swimming, so I'd like to be scattered on the wind. Maybe I could blow back into someone's swimming pool. But I always tell my mom if I pre-decease her, to pretend she doesn't know me or if possible, just put me out in a plastic bag with the trash. Why would I want her to go to all that expense just to get rid of my body?

On the other hand, I had my dog cremated when he died and I got back his ashes (I think they're his ashes) in small cedar box. I still have the box and when I eventually take my road trip across the US, I'll put the box under the front seat of my car so he can come along.

I always meant to bury that box, but I never lived anywhere that I felt was right. Somehow, burying a box of ashes on the playground of an apartment complex just didn't have that feel for me.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
There are numerous new ways to dispose of human remains. I heard ashes can be made into a diamond like material and worn as jewelry. Ashes being sent into space. Now this one in the article. Isn't $5,500 a bit much to simply cover a body with "wood chips" and wait for nature to take its course. You can be laid out in your own yard for free then. I would allow that. My family can save the $$ for a vacation, bar tab etc. Its not like I'm going to complain about it. All that cash for mulch and wood chips? There must be a catch.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Hey, if someone died from heart disease from eating all that bacon, then I think it's fair if the pig died of a communicable disease. Turn about is fair play... Besides, that might be one way of controlling all the wild hogs.

I personally wouldn't mind being planted under a rose bush. Personally, I love swimming, so I'd like to be scattered on the wind. Maybe I could blow back into someone's swimming pool. But I always tell my mom if I pre-decease her, to pretend she doesn't know me or if possible, just put me out in a plastic bag with the trash. Why would I want her to go to all that expense just to get rid of my body?

On the other hand, I had my dog cremated when he died and I got back his ashes (I think they're his ashes) in small cedar box. I still have the box and when I eventually take my road trip across the US, I'll put the box under the front seat of my car so he can come along.

I always meant to bury that box, but I never lived anywhere that I felt was right. Somehow, burying a box of ashes on the playground of an apartment complex just didn't have that feel for me.
I buried the ashes from my Best Dog with my Dad, so he'd have a friend to accompany him across the River Styx. My two Great Pyrennees' ashes were scattered along with my Mom's cremains in Utah. Likely meaningless for both her and them, but I feel better knowing they are "together", they were her last dogs. Personally, I have no idea if there's Another Side or not, but if there is, it's unlikely that what remains of us after death cares a whit what happens to our former bodies; we've got bigger things to thing about at that point.

I didn't see the $5500 price tag in the article, but like always, follow the money. For me it'll be cremation, then, I don't care if they shoot the ashes to Mars or scatter them in the ocean (although I'm kind of fond of the view from Frary's Peak on Antelope Island near Salt Lake City), but by the time I'm gone there won't be anyone left able to make the trek to the top. Hey, now there's a business idea for a young person; scattering ashes in remote or hard-to-access locations, you could make a video of it for the family as a keepsake, and also for proof it was actually done. Learn to play a bagpipe for dramatic effect. Plus, you'd get a free vacation out of it.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:11 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
In 2011 when my husband was dying, my bff was head of the town's Board of Health and she informed me that it was legal in Massachusetts to bury a body on your property! I didn't do that but I had him cremated for $1395 and buried in the National Cemetery. That's all it cost. I scattered some of him in the Cape Cod Canal, some of him in his niche at the cemetery and some of him in a necklace. Simple, low cost and personal.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
39 posts later and no one has yet said what is the problem with digging a hole, dropping in a body and covering it up with dirt. Why isn't this composting? Who cares if it's slow or fast. The guy has all the time in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events