Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you really enjoy something and you have the opportunity to do it again, why wouldn’t you?
Because if enjoying something involved defying death, you may not live to enjoy it into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 02:02 PM

500 posts, read 359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
YES! Sign me up! That sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon!
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Fools, give me a sandy beach.
You do know there are land sharks right, if they don't get you in the ocean well you know.

But seriously, I live to get time on a beach, going there in a couple of weeks from today, but I do sometimes wonder if I and others need our brains checked, especially, when we get to thinking about going way out into the waters and going kayaking with those I hang out with who do so frequently in open waters occupied by sharks and or gators. After viewing these types of videos, I'll take my chances closer to shore with just a dip. As far as climbing mountains, I've never done anything but hiked, no rope required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwwPWHkkjWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUzQkmyj1c

Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think it's for an adrenaline rush, for the serious climbers, the Heinrich Harrer and Edmund Hillary types. I think it's for the pure challenge: it's them against the mountain. Which will win: the mountain or the climber? Oh, the suspense! The struggle! The skill required!

It's about personal challenge and conquest. You know you've achieved something, when you've beat the odds and made it to the peak. (In the old days, when it really was a challenge and rare achievement.) But why once isn't enough, is a question. I don't know why they wouldn't be satisfied, having succeeded once. Why go and climb other mountains? I guess in the old days, the mountaineers would practice on lesser peaks, honing their skills, leaving Everest for their final big challenge.

Yes, I agree that it's the challenge for the pros. Nowadays, the top mountaineers don't consider Everest to be the biggest challenge- not even close. The common route is relatively easy going, with the elevation and subsequent lack of oxygen being the major, and not to be underestimated, obstacle. The other significant hazard is negotiating the ice fall, essentially a gamble because skill has nothing to do with surviving a huge chunk of ice randomly collapsing on climbers. K2, Annapurna, there are other very high peaks now considered much more challenging climbs.

There's an old climber's saying that goes something like this: "If you're not cold, you brought too many clothes, if you're not hungry you brought too much food, if you made the summit it was too easy of a route.."

Old 05-31-2019, 01:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Helicopters don't operate or maneuver reliably at such low air pressures. There isn't really space to touch down and the wind is usually a problem.
Typically, yes. It's a rare bird and a rare pilot that can perform such amazing feats.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ae4b982381b561

For instance, even the heavy duty and quite fast Chinook has a ceiling of 20,000 feet or so. Not nearly enough.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:56 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Per the article that TRosa posted---I agree. It's about the bragging rights. And it's behind done as part of a group of people with professionals to help. It kind of reminds me of a deep sea fishing trip I was (reluctantly) on. There were fishing guides who were really catching and reeling the fish in since the wanna-be fisherman didn't have the strength or experience to do so with the big fish. But the guides would stop for a second so the wanna-be fisherman could take the line for a second for a photo to pretend that they had done and would continue to do all the work. Then they would get the swordfish mounted for their walls to commemorate their achievement!

And it really angers me how some of the climbers were calling the sherpas their "slaves!" First of all, human slavery is nothing to joke about! Secondly, the sherpas don't even fit the definition of salve since they voluntarily choose to do the work and get paid! And why would you want to anger or be dismissive of someone who you are depending on for a good experience/survival? I read where it was just the Americans doing this---it was Italian climbers (the sherpas reportedly threw rocks at their tents to retaliate).

Everest may be nature at its finest. Human nature involved in "conquering" it, not so much.

Last edited by jazzcat22; 06-01-2019 at 05:07 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 08:23 AM

135 posts, read 89,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Per the article that TRosa posted---I agree. It's about the bragging rights. And it's behind done as part of a group of people with professionals to help. It kind of reminds me of a deep sea fishing trip I was (reluctantly) on. There were fishing guides who were really catching and reeling the fish in since the wanna-be fisherman didn't have the strength or experience to do so with the big fish. But the guides would stop for a second so the wanna-be fisherman could take the line for a second for a photo to pretend that they had done and would continue to do all the work. Then they would get the swordfish mounted for their walls to commemorate their achievement!

And it really angers me how some of the climbers were calling the sherpas their "slaves!" First of all, human slavery is nothing to joke about! Secondly, the sherpas don't even fit the definition of salve since they voluntarily choose to do the work and get paid! And why would you want to anger or be dismissive of someone who you are depending on for a good experience/survival? I read where it was just the Americans doing this---it was Italian climbers (the sherpas reportedly threw rocks at their tents to retaliate).

Everest may be nature at its finest. Human nature involved in "conquering" it, not so much.
There are arrogant buffoons all over the world.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:05 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Yes, I feel the same way about big game hunting. Let the rich guy get out on the Savannah alone and hunt rather than hiring locals to all but lead the animal to him. Even worse the canned hunts, where some rich guy pays $50,000 to shoot a panther that was let out of a cage in front of him. So he can go brag about what a great hunter he is and he bravely bagged a panther.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I feel the same way about big game hunting. Let the rich guy get out on the Savannah alone and hunt rather than hiring locals to all but lead the animal to him. Even worse the canned hunts, where some rich guy pays $50,000 to shoot a panther that was let out of a cage in front of him. So he can go brag about what a great hunter he is and he bravely bagged a panther.

ITA canned hunts are disgusting. Idiots who are basically hauled up the mountain by the Sherpas, are also idiots. I guess they are fooling themselves with their "great achievements" but not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events