Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
What purpose does it serve to climb Mt Everest?
Bragging rights?
Looks good on the resume?

If there was only one person alive in the whole world and they climbed Mt Everest, would it have any meaning if there is noone to share it with?
The purpose is to accomplish a set goal. There are people who love to run marathons, some who love to swim long distances, and some who love to climb mountains. It's the highest peak one can climb. It's not about bragging rights. Some find a thrill in climbing challenging peaks. Everest is FAR from being the most challenging, or dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
For me, climbing is a way to get away from civilization and crowds. Waiting in line is not what I consider a mountaineering experience. I've ascended quite a few peaks in the U.S., and tend to avoid the most popular peaks. We've often done climbs without seeing anyone else the entire day.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The purpose is to accomplish a set goal. There are people who love to run marathons, some who love to swim long distances, and some who love to climb mountains. It's the highest peak one can climb. It's not about bragging rights. Some find a thrill in climbing challenging peaks. Everest is FAR from being the most challenging, or dangerous.
Yup I’ve done foot races from 5k to 100 miles and have had friends do races over 200 miles. I wouldn’t attempt Everest but understand the appeal and strive to accomplish a crazy goal

Old 07-01-2019, 10:54 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,996 times
Quote:
I guess some people like risking their lives for a thrill. Especially when I see photos of a chain of climbers, I think, wow, what if one of them loses his foothold. Goodbye, Charlie, to several, probably. Who in their right mind would take that risk?

Old 07-02-2019, 04:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
If your oxygen tanks runs low you can't retreat down the mountain because of the line of climbers. You can't advance because of the line. You're dead!

I'm glad this isn't my idea of a good time.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I guess some people like risking their lives for a thrill. Especially when I see photos of a chain of climbers, I think, wow, what if one of them loses his foothold. Goodbye, Charlie, to several, probably. Who in their right mind would take that risk?
Everest is overrated. Avid climbing enthusiasts typically seek thrills in different climbs, which are significantly less crowded, although much more challenging, and MUCH more dangerous. The reason why Everest is at the forefront of mountain climbs is simply because it is a huge tourist trap, and virtually any and everyone with money can go there. The same can't be done with K2 or Annapurna. It's a challenging thrill -- no different than racing cars, base jumping, skydiving, etc. Well actually, the key difference is that is requires a very high level of physical fitness.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If your oxygen tanks runs low you can't retreat down the mountain because of the line of climbers. You can't advance because of the line. You're dead!

I'm glad this isn't my idea of a good time.
Not necessarily true. Many people who climb Everest (and who successfully make the summit) don't even use supplemental oxygen. Been happening since the 70s apparently. In fact, they make a point of it.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Everest is overrated. Avid climbing enthusiasts typically seek thrills in different climbs, which are significantly less crowded, although much more challenging, and MUCH more dangerous. The reason why Everest is at the forefront of mountain climbs is simply because it is a huge tourist trap, and virtually any and everyone with money can go there. The same can't be done with K2 or Annapurna. It's a challenging thrill -- no different than racing cars, base jumping, skydiving, etc. Well actually, the key difference is that is requires a very high level of physical fitness.
no kidding, and what's with the extra layers of clothing, boots and gloves I see them all wearing?

Old 07-02-2019, 02:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,996 times
Quote:
At this point, I have little regard for those attempting to climb Everest, or do straight up climbing, they are risking their lives. Better they should become volunteer firefighters or something like that if they like risking their lives.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:09 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
no kidding, and what's with the extra layers of clothing, boots and gloves I see them all wearing?
This was a joke, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events