Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Here's a neat, lighthearted, feel-good story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...emZ?li=BBnbfcL

Outstanding!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
I wouldn't have had the courage to do something like that because I would be too afraid that the bird would rip up my face or arm. I guess the eagle somehow sensed that the man was trying to help it.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
Two weeks ago I came across a beautiful crane ambling across a busy 4 lane road near my home. It made it across to a planted field, still walking in what I considered an odd way. I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t just fly across and then I saw that only one wing seemed to be moving. I spent a long time trespassing onto that farmer’s land with a large carry all and a quilted vest, the only thing I could find in my car to maybe cover the bird with if I was able to catch it. I asked two passing cars to help, but no takers. Finally I got a few feet from the bird and made an attempt at a bird sound. It spread both wings and flew further away, so I was happy to see it capable. I guess my bird call is scary! LOL. I’ve rescued small birds before and have contacted the fish and wildlife department who led me to a local woman who cares for such incapacitated birds. This was on a Sunday and no such services were available when I called to get some advice. Sadly, the last time I rescued a bird and took it to that rehabilitator, upon returning home I hit another bird just feet away from the rescue! I was so undone! I try, though. It’s very rewarding to be able to help when they need it. I think I want to gather an animal rescue kit for the trunk of my car...So happy that this gentleman rescued the eagle! It is amazing how calm the eagle was! That beak!

Old 05-30-2019, 12:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Great story, and glad he was able to help the bird. Took a bit of courage for sure. A chance to hold an eagle like that doesn't come along very often. The right person was in the right place, at the right time.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
What a heartwarming story, and that eagle is beautiful. Bless that man!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:08 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Eagles have their own Darwin Awards, and this one made it. Animals who act inconsistent with survival do not add much to the gene pool.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
Wow what a great story.

I rescued an anhinga that was wandering around a busy intersection. He was flying to a canal and I guess he just flew too low and got hit.

They’ve got long necks and needle sharp beaks. Carrying one is not a job for someone with short arms or no eye protection!

My boss had a fit when I brought it back to the office to hold until South Florida Wildlife Center could pick it up. Good thing we had some cardboard boxes.

The bird made it, and the Center is an incredible place with fantastic people.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Wow what a great story.

I rescued an anhinga that was wandering around a busy intersection. He was flying to a canal and I guess he just flew too low and got hit.

They’ve got long necks and needle sharp beaks. Carrying one is not a job for someone with short arms or no eye protection!

My boss had a fit when I brought it back to the office to hold until South Florida Wildlife Center could pick it up. Good thing we had some cardboard boxes.

The bird made it, and the Center is an incredible place with fantastic people.

Yes! The bird is healing, and feeding herself.

Here's another article, with pics of her on the highway (you can see that her wing is injured), and being sutured at the wildlife center. What a majestic bird!

There's also a photo of the motocyclist who rescued her--without his helmet lol.

https://www.whatsnew2day.com/cyclist...-from-peta/amp

Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Eagles have their own Darwin Awards, and this one made it. Animals who act inconsistent with survival do not add much to the gene pool.
The Eagle could have been injured through no fault of its own as sometimes people are injured. Things happen that are out of their control and ours. This happened near me, and I think it's great. The guy did a noble thing. He deserves to be acknowledged.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Eagle could have been injured through no fault of its own as sometimes people are injured. Things happen that are out of their control and ours. This happened near me, and I think it's great. The guy did a noble thing. He deserves to be acknowledged.

That's exactly what I thought. Any number of things could've happened to that bird. Eagles DO fight each other, too, and her eye was also injured.

That was a foolish comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events