Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Uber and Lyft drivers are being classified as contractors,
Don't you mean Uber & Lyft drivers voluntarily sign up as independent contractors? No one is holding a gun to their head, right?

Quote:
Uber and Lyft are profiting
You seem to have a very non-standard definition of profit. Neither Uber nor Lyft are profitable at anything whatsoever.

Quote:
through avoidance of taxes
Do tell: what tax are they avoiding?

From one of your other posts:

Quote:
Because I'm not a business oriented person.
It's OK not to be business oriented, and it shows here, but surely you see that a company that is unable to earn a profit does not exist in the long run. Neither Uber nor Lyft are capable of turning a profit as currently constituted. The only question is how long will they survive losing money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:10 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
We’re just going to agree to disagree about that. Cosl mines didn’t start using automated equipment to mine coal because the coal miners asked for too much. They automated because equipment was developed that allow them to.

Lots of manufacturing jobs went out of the country in a big part because unions and workers kept pushing for higher wages. There was a tipping point where the added cost of shipping the finished products back here as well as the cost to produce the items were much cheaper than using American workers. Obviously most of these gig jobs cannot be outsourced overseas so the next thing will be automating those jobs.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of manufacturing jobs went out of the country in a big part because unions and workers kept pushing for higher wages. There was a tipping point where the added cost of shipping the finished products back here as well as the cost to produce the items were much cheaper than using American workers. Obviously most of these gig jobs cannot be outsourced overseas so the next thing will be automating those jobs.
I don’t agree with that either. Even if they would have worked for $3 an hour it was still more than Chinese workers. They also got tax breaks for going over. Walmart accelerated it as with telling companies like Rubbermaid they had to if they wanted to stay in their stores. I do not think for one second that if unions didn’t exist we’d Still be making TVs here, it’s just not so.

It’s ludicrous to think companies won’t automate as long as employees keep their traps shut and take what ever crumbs they’re offered. Once the technology really is here and more fully developed it’s going to be used to replace humans no matter how low paid. As the CEO of Carl’s Jr. famously said, automation doesn’t get hurt on the job, get sick or take vacations. They don’t have to leave to pick up a sick kid from school. They work 24/7 without a break. No human no matter how low paid, can compete with that.

Look at car washes. Car washes used to be all humans, now most of it is automated. Despite the fact there was never a time when car wash employees were unionized or well paid. The car wash I used to go to was a combination of humans and automation. Two employees, a developmentally disabled young man and one Russian girl who had both been there at least 10 years would wash your wheels and scrub stains before it went into the automated part, then they’d hand dry what the machine missed. I highly doubt they much more than min wage, the rest was tips. Yet when it got sold, the new owners automated it completely and got rid of those two employees. They did it because they could, the technology was there. Not because the two employees asked for too much money.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-05-2019 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
I don’t agree with that either. Even if they would have worked for $3 an hour it was still more than Chinese workers. They also got tax breaks for going over. Walmart accelerated it as with telling companies like Rubbermaid they had to if they wanted to stay in their stores. I do not think for one second that if unions didn’t exist we’d Still be making TVs here, it’s just not so.

It’s ludicrous to think companies won’t automate as long as employees keep their traps shut and take what ever crumbs they’re offered. Once the technology really is here and more fully developed it’s going to be used to replace humans no matter how low paid. As the CEO of Carl’s Jr. famously said, automation doesn’t get hurt on the job, get sick or take vacations.
Retail service though is bottom rung. No skills needed, not even a HS diploma.
And those types of jobs are ripe for automation. And the automation has advanced quickly.

If I were to give advice to some of these uber workers I'd tell them "trades"..electricians and plumbers are jobs end up paying quite well, provide opportunities for self employment and are currently "protected" from illegals swooping in and working for cash because both require county/state licenses.
Really doesn't take too much to get into those fields...trade school, exam for apprenticeship license, 5 year apprentice under a master electrician, another exam and they are licensed electricians making some dang good money. It's skilled labor vs unskilled labor.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:

Look at car washes. Car washes used to be all humans, now most of it is automated. Despite the fact there was never a time when car wash employees were unionized or well paid. The car wash I used to go to was a combination of humans and automation. Two employees, a developmentally disabled young man and one Russian girl who had both been there at least 10 years would wash your wheels and scrub stains before it went into the automated part, then they’d hand dry what the machine missed. I highly doubt they much more than min wage, the rest was tips. Yet when it got sold, the new owners automated it completely and got rid of those two employees. They did it because they could, the technology was there. Not because the two employees asked for too much money.

True. I don't disagree on this.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,697,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree that this will hurt small businesses the most. The requirement about not doing work central to the company's business is very subjective. I could see how overzealous application of this new law could mean all of a sudden you have a dozen new part time employees. This pushes more paperwork and reporting on to the small business, rather than the contractor.

Another reason why we're glad we left CA years ago. The rules should be the same as the IRS.
If your business is civil engineering, you can outsource your accounting department and any other function not related to "engineering".

Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
When the cost of insuring employees has reached $20k+ per person for a ACA grade plan. Why would companies absorb that cost for transient workers? How about asking riders to pay 40% more than what they were paying before. A $12 ride will go up to $18. This means a short ride could jump from $6 to $15 just to go 5-6 blocks.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When the cost of insuring employees has reached $20k+ per person for a ACA grade plan. Why would companies absorb that cost for transient workers? How about asking riders to pay 40% more than what they were paying before. A $12 ride will go up to $18. This means a short ride could jump from $6 to $15 just to go 5-6 blocks.
Just because their status is changed from contractor to employee doesn’t mean they have to provide insurance of any type. There is no mandate that employers provide anything beyond a salary.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
And then you're just paying for a another "taxi" which was too expensive which is what made uber/lyft popular.

When my son was in college him and his friends used uber to go out on Friday nights.
They used uber because it was much cheaper than the taxi service.

To tell you the truth it gave me a huge peace of mind cause none of them were driving.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Just because their status is changed from contractor to employee doesn’t mean they have to provide insurance of any type. There is no mandate that employers provide anything beyond a salary.
Um yes..ACA mandates or did you forget ?

50 full time employees...MANDATED health insurance must be offered.

So either uber hires 49 F/T "employees" or uber makes all those contractors limited to 29 hours.

Then again, once they are "employees" the union will step in and they become unionized.
Now you are in a whole different realm of negotiations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events