Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The keyless ignition in my car sometimes makes it difficult to tell if it's on or off. Even when you press the button to turn off the engine, the radio continues to play and all dash lights remain on until you actually open the door, then they turn off. Several times a month, I have to press the button multiple times to verify whether or not the engine is running, which is why I always keep the garage door open when starting or turning off the car.
Just look at your tachometer. Easiest way to determine if your engine is running or not. Regardless, I don't see how anyone can't tell if their vehicle is running or not. I can feel it shutting off. And if I get out for some reason with the engine running, I can hear it, as well as feel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The push button start cars can be very confusing.
I'm having a hard time understanding what's so confusing. I have two cars with push start and they both work the same way. Push once to start, push a second time to shut off. It's that easy.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The keyless ignition in my car sometimes makes it difficult to tell if it's on or off. Even when you press the button to turn off the engine, the radio continues to play and all dash lights remain on until you actually open the door, then they turn off. Several times a month, I have to press the button multiple times to verify whether or not the engine is running, which is why I always keep the garage door open when starting or turning off the car.

Give the accelerator a push and that will reveal if it's running or not------assuming of course, that it's in neutral or park.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
This is one reason why in new Honda's the ignition light is glowing red while the car is on. Hard to miss. Automatic lights would also indicate the car is still on when you get out and closet the door.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
awww, sad thing. He and his family look like fun kind folks. I can't tell you how many times I've left my Prius running. Even some times having it continuing down the street without me in it. It's only funny if it doesn't cause harm. I went backwards this time and bought a regular petrol-fueled car. Have made similar mistakes like leaving it in gear and getting out. I blame it on the past habits of owning a Prius. lol.

Condolenses to the man and dog who passed away.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
This is sad and an unfortunate accident.

However, it screams of negligence. I understand how an older gentleman may make the mistake of failing to turn off the car. But how would it not trigger the carbon monoxide detector in the garage, then in the room near the garage, then hallway, then bedroom? My alarms and my phones would all be going off (as would anyone who lived in the house -- including the wife's phone, in this case). All well before it filled up the bedroom.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
This is one reason why in new Honda's the ignition light is glowing red while the car is on. Hard to miss. Automatic lights would also indicate the car is still on when you get out and closet the door.
Most vehicle headlights stay on for a preprogrammed length of time after the engine has been turn off. It's a great feature for those who need some light at night.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

However, it screams of negligence. I understand how an older gentleman may make the mistake of failing to turn off the car. But how would it not trigger the carbon monoxide detector in the garage, then in the room near the garage, then hallway, then bedroom? My alarms and my phones would all be going off (as would anyone who lived in the house -- including the wife's phone, in this case). All well before it filled up the bedroom.
I'm not aware of a carbon monoxide detector being required in the garage, by code. It's certainly not a national standard, unless very recently. But still, the ones in the house should have gone off. Also, today's houses have no way for air in the garage to enter the house. The only way is for the entry door into the house to be propped open. If we left a vehicle running in our garage, the CO would never make it inside unless we left the door open, in which case we have two CO detectors inside.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

My neighbor said hers were going off full blast & she never heard them. Her teenage son was asleep in the basement but the carbon monoxide was settling on the first floor where she & her 8-year-old daughter were sleeping.

She said her son had her by the shoulders, shaking her & yelling "Mom! Wake up!"& she didn't hear the alarms until then (they found a bag of nails blocking the vent pipe on the roof).

I had carbon monoxide poisoning at age 17 from a faulty water heater & it is a very disorienting experience. I tried to roll over but my arms & legs felt like they weighed about 200lbs each. Clear as a bell, I had heard a stern voice saying; "Get up & get out". Have no idea why. I had to crawl on the floor to get to the door, I'm not sure if I would have responded to an alarm either.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
When I first got my keyless car I would sometimes walk away after parking my car and leave the engine running too. I have a new Ford and the engine is so quiet. I don't hear it nor do I feel it. Fortunately, mine honks the horn as a reminder to shut it off.

I don't do that anymore but it did take a while for me to get used to pushing that button to turn the car off so I understand how someone could accidentally leave the engine on especially in a car that didn't have a warning system. I feel bad for the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events