Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 08:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. My car has keyless and there's been a few times I've had to cycle through the key a few times to see if I turned the engine off. It idles pretty quietly. I also never shut the garage door before exiting the vehicle.

However, it's a Ford, and has a few methods to try and stop the above scenario. If you exit the vehicle with engine running, the horn will honk. And also, after 30 mins of idle a screen will pop up and give you 30 seconds to hit OK or it will shut the engine down.

Also, with attached garages you are required to put a CO detector near the garage. I have one inside the garage, in the room above, and a few more combined fire/CO detectors throughout the house.
Note to myself: get C02 detectors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
expect this happening more and more with the electric vehicles that you can hardly here when their running

Old 09-03-2019, 06:10 PM

61,678 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
expect this happening more and more with the electric vehicles that you can hardly here when their running
^^^ Carbon Monoxide (CO) which are emitted from exhausts due to the burning of fuel. EVs do not produce any exhaust emissions, unlike conventional vehicles...

BTW: Electric vehicles are, indeed very quiet. But it will end - a UK company has designed a system that creates noise to alert pedestrians.
In Europe: from July 2019 all new EVs, both passenger and commercial, must emit a noise when travelling slowly, and existing EVs must be retrofitted with a device by 2021.

In the US all electric vehicles (and hybrids) will emit a sound while moving up to 18.6 mph by September 2020.

https://mashable.com/article/electri...s/?europe=true

Last edited by elnina; 09-03-2019 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 06:14 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
You funny.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:37 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Heh. Parked next to a running empty car at work this morning. I talked to Security, who'd tried to page the owner with no success - so at this point, they were just waiting for the gas to run out.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You funny.
It gave me a chuckle too.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Expensive too! Wasting all that gas to keep the generator needlessly running.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,240 times
Quote:
Ha! Quality.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is sad and an unfortunate accident.

However, it screams of negligence. I understand how an older gentleman may make the mistake of failing to turn off the car. But how would it not trigger the carbon monoxide detector in the garage, then in the room near the garage, then hallway, then bedroom? My alarms and my phones would all be going off (as would anyone who lived in the house -- including the wife's phone, in this case). All well before it filled up the bedroom.
May not have had a carbon monoxide detector in the house. My parents house didn't have one until they installed a gas heater even though they had a gas stove and dryer. The company that converted the original oil over to gas told them they needed one. Older homes often aren't equipped with what newer homes have by law, especially if a couple has lived in that home for a very long time. It is only when reselling and having an inspection or if the state or town you live in requires the fire department to verify alarms that it might be mentioned. Since this seems to happen with the elderly more than younger people, kids pay attention when mom and dad buy a new vehicle and instruct them how to shut it off properly and get them CO detectors if they don't have them or make sure the ones they have a working correctly or aren't the type that need to be replaced every so many years.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
My truck beeps the horn 3X if it is left running and you get out and close the door. After an hour of idling it shuts off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events