Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

CO detectors are not that expensive these days; everyone should just get them as a matter of safety, garage or no garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM

500 posts, read 359,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Do we really need technology that requires more technology to make it safe?
Sort of like the 787 MAX .

Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm not aware of a carbon monoxide detector being required in the garage, by code. It's certainly not a national standard, unless very recently. But still, the ones in the house should have gone off. Also, today's houses have no way for air in the garage to enter the house. The only way is for the entry door into the house to be propped open. If we left a vehicle running in our garage, the CO would never make it inside unless we left the door open, in which case we have two CO detectors inside.
I don't believe conventional code building construction is as tight as a space station. The garage is somewhat sealed. I'm sure it's possible for some garage air to find it's way into the house. With CO, it doesn't take much.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I found out how hard it is with our new car. I left it running because I was testing something and needed to get a tool off a bench. I opened the door, got three feet away, and it let loose with an ear-splitting screech that would wake the dead.

I doubt ours will ever be left running unless the fob is in the car when we walk away. Knowing us that's not likely as we keep the fob on a key ring with the other car keys.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm not aware of a carbon monoxide detector being required in the garage, by code. It's certainly not a national standard, unless very recently. But still, the ones in the house should have gone off. Also, today's houses have no way for air in the garage to enter the house. The only way is for the entry door into the house to be propped open. If we left a vehicle running in our garage, the CO would never make it inside unless we left the door open, in which case we have two CO detectors inside.

Our new detector specifically said to not place it in the garage due to false warnings.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The keyless ignition in my car sometimes makes it difficult to tell if it's on or off. Even when you press the button to turn off the engine, the radio continues to play and all dash lights remain on until you actually open the door, then they turn off. Several times a month, I have to press the button multiple times to verify whether or not the engine is running, which is why I always keep the garage door open when starting or turning off the car.
Same here, exactly. My vehicle runs so silently it's hard to tell whether it's off or on. But when I open the door, I can tell by the light on the dash that says "Don't forget your key," that it's actually turned off. Also, if it's not turned off and I open the door, there will be a ding-ing sound. But I can't hear the engine. It is that quiet.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My neighbor said hers were going off full blast & she never heard them. Her teenage son was asleep in the basement but the carbon monoxide was settling on the first floor where she & her 8-year-old daughter were sleeping.

She said her son had her by the shoulders, shaking her & yelling "Mom! Wake up!"& she didn't hear the alarms until then (they found a bag of nails blocking the vent pipe on the roof).

I had carbon monoxide poisoning at age 17 from a faulty water heater & it is a very disorienting experience. I tried to roll over but my arms & legs felt like they weighed about 200lbs each. Clear as a bell, I had heard a stern voice saying; "Get up & get out". Have no idea why. I had to crawl on the floor to get to the door, I'm not sure if I would have responded to an alarm either.
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm reading this! I had accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater when I was in my late twenties, and I was passed out on the floor in the living room and woke up to the most terrible voice (stern, very stern) saying quietly but urgently "GET. UP. GET. UP." Oh, how I didn't want to get up - it felt wonderful just laying there, on the floor! But finally I couldn't resist that voice and I dragged myself up. My head was pounding and the palms of my hands were a bright red, I remember that very clearly. I thought my head was going to explode. I honestly thought I was having an aneurysm or something.

I too had to crawl to the phone to call 9-1-1 and then when they asked my address, I was so disoriented that I couldn't remember it and said "Hold on," very slowly and crawled outside to look at the street sign and the house numbers. I really couldn't see anything wrong with that scenario. Of course, they could trace the call but I think they were trying to determine if I was cognizant - which I clearly wasn't.

My entire family spent the next five days in the hospital having hyperbaric treatments.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:11 PM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
I know we are getting off the OP here, but WOW the above two posts brought to my mind my true story, that may save someone just by them reading my act of stupidity....

Back in 2008 my wife and I bought a tri-level home that was in disrepair, that needed a lot of work. So we started in the basement rooms and basically gutted it. It was Winter, and the gas furnace could not keep up enough to warm us. We had the walls opened up, the old insulation removed, and I was constantly opening the back door so that I could haul the debris outside.

So I set my 20 LB. propane tank 'Pie" heater in the basement and ran it for around 5 hours. We had three windows open in the basement about 8 inches. And I was opening up the back door often while going in and out of it while removing debris.

We stopped working at 9:00 pm, showered and went to bed and our bedroom was located upstairs right above where we were working. The next morning I awoke first, but I could not move my legs as they felt strapped down. I thought for a minute that my wife was laying on top of me, I felt so weighted down.

Finally I got enough clarity in my foggy head, to get my legs moving and I stood up. I went to my wife's side of the bed, and she was not awake nor moving and she was breathing really shallow.

So I touched her head, no movement. So I shook her hard, and she finally awakened. She then told me how she felt which was like I felt, and then she asked me, " Did you see the truck that ran over me last night " ???

With me nor my wife being "Spring Chickens" at the time while being in our 60's, we just figured we had worn ourselves out while working like 20 years old's, in the basement for 8 hours.

Then suddenly I remembered the "heater". I quickly went around and opened all the windows and doors in the house immediately.

We did not have to go to the ER, but I feel to this day that if I had slept for another hour, that my wife and I both would be taking our dirt naps. And how that I stupidly thought, that I had plenty of fresh coming in to our home, while we were working with the heater on. The heater is in the pic, that I used that near fatal time 8 years ago now.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-19-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 04:01 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The Pennsylvania man and his dog died after he accidentally left his Toyota Forerunner running in the attached garage. Fortunately, his wife was out of town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/1419233001

I recently drove one of those new keyless cars, and found it very confusing. How did we get so dumb that we can't figure out how to use a key any more ?

Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
I don't understand this.

All 4 of our cars are keyless, and all different makes. Never had an issue turning the car off.

Drive into garage/shift into Park/push button to turn car off

Why is that so hard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events