Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I don't understand this.

All 4 of our cars are keyless, and all different makes. Never had an issue turning the car off.

Drive into garage/shift into Park/push button to turn car off

Why is that so hard?
It's not that it's "hard." It's that for someone who has done it a different way for decades, it's easier to forget "the new way," especially if 1) the car's engine is super quiet, and 2) the carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless (it is) and 3) he was headed for bed anyway. Carbon monoxide poisoning is actually a very pleasant way to "go." You don't even notice it - you just fall asleep peacefully.

So if he didn't have carbon monoxide detectors, it's easy to see how this happened to me.

Please please please invest in some cheap carbon monoxide detectors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Not the same but I have had a backup camera for years now and sometimes I completely forget its there. Just the fact I learned to drive and spent most of my life without one makes it "hard" not to do things the old way.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I recently drove one of those new keyless cars, and found it very confusing. How did we get so dumb that we can't figure out how to use a key any more ?
Some older people or people with disabilities, while safe drivers, find it painful and/or difficult to use keys to start/stop cars because of arthritis and/or weakness in their hands and fingers. In my old car, I needed to twist my arm & wrist & fingers at funny angles ("funny"/odd/painful for me) to inset the key, turn the key and start the car. I love the push button start on my car. I should of had one years ago.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I recently drove one of those new keyless cars, and found it very confusing. How did we get so dumb that we can't figure out how to use a key any more ?
Dumb? It's just another convenience not having to take the key out your pocket to start the car or lock it.

You had a difficult time pushing a button?

Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Buy an electric car. Not a hybrid or something else with an internal combustion engine.

Electric cars have push button starts. It's possible to pick up a three year old Nissan Leaf lease return for less than $10,000 most places.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Same here, we have a new VW that is quiet as a mouse and it is my first keyless. The radio remains on and I have caught myself hitting the button more than once.
That's what I've done. The first time you hit it you turn it off, the next time you hit it you're turning it back on and it's very quiet. Last summer my car ran for almost two hours outside a restaurant because of this. About every ten years I used to lock my keys in the car but every time it was because I changed my routine in shutting down and getting out; like finishing paperwork or getting a jacket from the back. That's what happened at the restaurant too.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm reading this! I had accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater when I was in my late twenties, and I was passed out on the floor in the living room and woke up to the most terrible voice (stern, very stern) saying quietly but urgently "GET. UP. GET. UP." Oh, how I didn't want to get up - it felt wonderful just laying there, on the floor! But finally I couldn't resist that voice and I dragged myself up. My head was pounding and the palms of my hands were a bright red, I remember that very clearly. I thought my head was going to explode. I honestly thought I was having an aneurysm or something.

I too had to crawl to the phone to call 9-1-1 and then when they asked my address, I was so disoriented that I couldn't remember it and said "Hold on," very slowly and crawled outside to look at the street sign and the house numbers. I really couldn't see anything wrong with that scenario. Of course, they could trace the call but I think they were trying to determine if I was cognizant - which I clearly wasn't.

My entire family spent the next five days in the hospital having hyperbaric treatments.
What?! OMG, I can't believe I'm reading this either! I almost didn't mention the voice part but if I hadn't, I was afraid people might think it's just something easy to walk away from & therefore; underestimate it. I would rather mention it & have people think I was looney tunes than to give folks a false sense of security.

And you are right about how good it feels just laying there; very seductive. You don't feel like you are dying until you try to move. But I wouldn't have moved; had I not been told to.

I've got to show this to my dad; ever since this happened to me he's always worried about it happening again. He even just bought me a new alarm. It's just that people looked at me so weird when they would ask me; "How did you know to get out of there?" And my answer was "Because somebody told me to".

Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Never had a keyless door car or been in one.

Interesting.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Do none of these cars squawk when the driver releases the seat belt while the engine is running? I can see all of the above problems being real for drivers not thoroughly conditioned past the step of physically turning the car off and removing the keys, but a seat belt warning should be a pretty strong clue you've forgotten something.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do none of these cars squawk when the driver releases the seat belt while the engine is running? I can see all of the above problems being real for drivers not thoroughly conditioned past the step of physically turning the car off and removing the keys, but a seat belt warning should be a pretty strong clue you've forgotten something.
My experience tells me that the car now makes so many noises for so many things that this one just gets lost in the cacophony. We're being conditioned to ignore these sounds because so many are meaningless to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events