Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
What are some of the EARLY symptom of the carbon monoxide poisoning, not sure if my car's exhaust system have a leak, but as soon as I have those early symptoms, just get out the car and I should be fine? thanks for your help
My guess is that the earliest symptoms are the less serious symptoms from the list below:

Dull headache
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Confusion
Blurred vision
Loss of consciousness

What is needed is a lot of mental willpower to actually move and get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
What are some of the EARLY symptom of the carbon monoxide poisoning, not sure if my car's exhaust system have a leak, but as soon as I have those early symptoms, just get out the car and I should be fine? thanks for your help
I think the issue is being asleep when this occurs. You would have no indication that you were dying a slow death.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To be honest I don't see the point in push button cars.
Agreed. I dislike the high level of computer automation in vehicle electronics and the amount of repair issues they bring.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:09 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
You should definitely get out of the car if you suspect CO poisoning.

CO is flushed out of your body in about 24 hours.

But, in the meantime it can kill brain cells and other tissue, and the effects may last a long time. Best to get the car checked out if you suspect CO leaking into the passenger compartment. And definitely don't run the car in a closed garage.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Headache, nausea, flushed cheeks but no fever. But GET YOUR CAR CHECKED OUT because just "getting out of your car" doesn't mean you will automatically be fine. You might not be able to just get out of your car - it depends on the size of the leak and you will have no idea what the size is since CO can't be smelled.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
My guess is that the earliest symptoms are the less serious symptoms from the list below:

Dull headache
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Confusion
Blurred vision
Loss of consciousness

What is needed is a lot of mental willpower to actually move and get out.
Yes, because one of the symptoms that isn't listed is the false feeling that "everything is OK." This is due to the inertia that CO brings with it - all you want to do is sleep and it seems like the most natural thing in the world to do. Like you MUST sleep in fact. It's the oddest sensation when you look back on it (if you're lucky enough to do so later).

Old 08-30-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Agreed. I dislike the high level of computer automation in vehicle electronics and the amount of repair issues they bring.
In at least 10 years of driving various vehicles with pretty intensive computer systems, I have had to have one - ONE - repair (which cost $40) on a computer system. And this was because a bug had gotten stuck on a sensor.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In at least 10 years of driving various vehicles with pretty intensive computer systems, I have had to have one - ONE - repair (which cost $40) on a computer system. And this was because a bug had gotten stuck on a sensor.
Yes, I'm sure there is the occasional story of a system failure costing thousands, but it's simply an occasional story. My experience with electronics is they are much more reliable than the web of vacuum hoses that used to have so much control.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's fair.
Was that 10 years of driving relatively low mileage new vehicles?
I'm referring more to the prohibitive cost of repairing some of these systems when they do fail.
There are many cases of vehicles being nearly disposable later in life because of the cost of some silly unecessary electronics.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Yes, I'm sure there is the occasional story of a system failure costing thousands, but it's simply an occasional story. My experience with electronics is they are much more reliable than the web of vacuum hoses that used to have so much control.
Vacuum? You are going back more than fifty years with that one. Electronics have been common for more than thirty five years now.
From what I have seen the newer electronics do seem to last much longer than the first few decades of the technology overload.

I can still dislike todays level of over complicated costly gizmos. I dont care for the fact that they are half the initial cost of a new vehicle these days as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events