Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,890,473 times

Advertisements

The Pennsylvania man and his dog died after he accidentally left his Toyota Forerunner running in the attached garage. Fortunately, his wife was out of town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/1419233001
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,949,628 times
Isn't it kinda hard to accidentally leave your car running? Or does that type of keyless ignition make it hard to hear the car running???

Sad to hear...

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,224,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Isn't it kinda hard to accidentally leave your car running? Or does that type of keyless ignition make it hard to hear the car running???

Sad to hear...
The keyless ignition in my car sometimes makes it difficult to tell if it's on or off. Even when you press the button to turn off the engine, the radio continues to play and all dash lights remain on until you actually open the door, then they turn off. Several times a month, I have to press the button multiple times to verify whether or not the engine is running, which is why I always keep the garage door open when starting or turning off the car.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,665,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The keyless ignition in my car sometimes makes it difficult to tell if it's on or off. Even when you press the button to turn off the engine, the radio continues to play and all dash lights remain on until you actually open the door, then they turn off. Several times a month, I have to press the button multiple times to verify whether or not the engine is running, which is why I always keep the garage door open when starting or turning off the car.
Same here. My car has keyless and there's been a few times I've had to cycle through the key a few times to see if I turned the engine off. It idles pretty quietly. I also never shut the garage door before exiting the vehicle.

However, it's a Ford, and has a few methods to try and stop the above scenario. If you exit the vehicle with engine running, the horn will honk. And also, after 30 mins of idle a screen will pop up and give you 30 seconds to hit OK or it will shut the engine down.

Also, with attached garages you are required to put a CO detector near the garage. I have one inside the garage, in the room above, and a few more combined fire/CO detectors throughout the house.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,696,239 times
Hmmm, I read something not long ago that said this was basically impossible these days, thanks to catalytic convertors, I guess they were wrong!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. My car has keyless and there's been a few times I've had to cycle through the key a few times to see if I turned the engine off. It idles pretty quietly. I also never shut the garage door before exiting the vehicle.

However, it's a Ford, and has a few methods to try and stop the above scenario. If you exit the vehicle with engine running, the horn will honk. And also, after 30 mins of idle a screen will pop up and give you 30 seconds to hit OK or it will shut the engine down.

Also, with attached garages you are required to put a CO detector near the garage. I have one inside the garage, in the room above, and a few more combined fire/CO detectors throughout the house.
Same over here, its hard to tell if my explorer is off sometimes but mine also beeps if I leave with the keys or leave the car with the engine on. And mine turns off automatically after 10 minutes

Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,316,192 times
I have no problem knowing my car is off. I just set it to park and push the button.

ETA: didn’t mean it in a snarky way, I just know my vehicle and I know each car is different.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM

37,275 posts, read 41,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

My new-to-me 2015 model year car is the first I have had with keyless ignition, so I am still in the learning stages with it. It does have a loud alarm if you do not turn it off when you exit the vehicle. I will have to read the manual (it's the size of a Bible ) to see if it will turn itself off if I forget.

Your point about CO monitors is an excellent one. Perhaps those could have prevented all of those deaths.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the victims were elderly, perhaps with hearing problems.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,260,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Sad to hear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
It's the same with my car. I have to be especially careful as I never take my key fob out of my purse so I don't have the visual cue of seeing the fob.

I'll have to double check, but I believe that my car automatically turns off if it is parked and running for a period of time (maybe 15 minutes).

Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,890,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My new-to-me 2015 model year car is the first I have had with keyless ignition, so I am still in the learning stages with it. It does have a loud alarm if you do not turn it off when you exit the vehicle. I will have to read the manual (it's the size of a Bible ) to see if it will turn itself off if I forget.

Your point about CO monitors is an excellent one. Perhaps those could have prevented all of those deaths.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the victims were elderly, perhaps with hearing problems.

I don't know about the hearing problems (other than those you might expect to see in the elderly), but it appears that older drivers are over-represented in these sad occurrences. Even the earliest deaths attributed to CO poisoning after cars with keyless ignitions were left running, were those of a 70-year-old woman and her 89-year-old husband.

https://www.kidsandcars.org/2019/06/...kes-no-action/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events