Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/u...-randolph.html

This story is so sad. A bunch of people riding their bikes were hit and killed by a truck driver. He appeared in court today. They are trying to figure out if alcohol played a role in him hitting them.
Why is it so sadreally? Motorcycle riders know that the end will likely becoming before everyone else and ride anyway. You can warn them about all the dangers, give them personal anecdotes, and they will still ride. Not to mention, many engage in very dangerous behavior on the road.

Society needs to stop this out pouring of sympathy when people play a hand in their own death. You will sleep better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Why is it so sadreally? Motorcycle riders know that the end will likely becoming before everyone else and ride anyway. You can warn them about all the dangers, give them personal anecdotes, and they will still ride. Not to mention, many engage in very dangerous behavior on the road.

Society needs to stop this out pouring of sympathy when people play a hand in their own death. You will sleep better
What a nasty, cruel post. First, the vast majority of motorcyclists don't die from riding. But second, the trailer JACK-KNIFED across the highway and hit them. I can only imagine the horror of seeing for a split second that coming at you -- that is the stuff of nightmares.

I am not a rider myself, but I see them on the road all the time and only rarely see any driving dangerously (I see CAR drivers driving dangerously a lot more often).

The riders were all veterans and deserved so much better. May they all rest in peace.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 PM

680 posts, read 533,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm blocked from reading the NY Times article but just wanted to say that NH does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets unless they are under age 18. Probably wouldn't have mattered in this case but you never know. What a sad thing to happen.
I think helmets and full clothing help with minor accidents, or to prevent road rash. Head on collisions will be fatal 99% of the time, regardless of helmets. Anything head on is usually fatal if your going highway speeds.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
What a nasty, cruel post. First, the vast majority of motorcyclists don't die from riding. But second, the trailer JACK-KNIFED across the highway and hit them. I can only imagine the horror of seeing for a split second that coming at you -- that is the stuff of nightmares.

I am not a rider myself, but I see them on the road all the time and only rarely see any driving dangerously (I see CAR drivers driving dangerously a lot more often).

The riders were all veterans and deserved so much better. May they all rest in peace.

I'm a veteran too. Nobody owes me or them anything. We use the military for what it was worth and then we're done done.

As far as car drivers driving dangerously more often...........it's not even close considering can't try and squeeze past narrow spaces. Bikers live on the edge. Why not just say they does doing what they loved and call it a day.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post

It is sad because they didn't deserve to die. They didn't do anything wrong. Yes riding a motorcycle has inherant risks, but so do other things in life. Please don't blame the victims.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
^^^I believe he is talking about the easy access to alcohol in the prisons? Surely he doesn't think the lawmakers would even try to make access to alcohol to adults across the board, especially since it is legal and a huge moneymaker, harder to obtain?
They already did but then they changed their minds.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm blocked from reading the NY Times article but just wanted to say that NH does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets unless they are under age 18. Probably wouldn't have mattered in this case but you never know. What a sad thing to happen.
I haven't seen anything that said how many of the seven were or were not wearing helmets but I have seen pictures from the scene. A number of the cycles were damaged but not destroyed so it's logical that the riders were ejected. Seven out of ten victims killed is a very high number. I expect to eventually see a report of who was or wasn't wearing a helmet.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 AM

811 posts, read 621,552 times
Incredibly sad.

“Deserved to die” because they ride bikes? Physics might say that’s true but common decency for fellow man and compassion for the loved ones of these victims would preclude voicing that publicly.

Nothing is being mentioned about his employer. I’m confident the driver was an independent contractor but ... this company is done. And I suspect someone in the company may be held criminally liable as well.

Here’s my question: How do trucking companies closely monitor their drivers? Between court case backup and lawyer’s clever gymnastics it can literally take a year between a citation and conviction so how would an employer find out that a driver is a liability prior to a conviction showing up on an MVD record?

FWIW: At least one witness stated that the driver made an abrupt left turn right in front of the bikers. Dollars to doughnuts he dropped his cell phone on the floor and lost control when he tried to retrieve it.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
This guy had a DWI recently at 10:30 am...…...true sign of an alcoholic.Also traces of heroin found in his home.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Here’s my question: How do trucking companies closely monitor their drivers? ....
A company I work for just did a driver's license and MVA history report for all drivers of any apparatus at the request of their insurance company. They found out that one (of about 100) of the drivers had a suspended license and had never reported it to them but yet was still driving. Needless to say, she is no longer working for them! If it hadn't been for this company requiring that all driver's supply the reports, who know's how much longer she would have continued driving with her suspended license? I don't believe that there is any communications between the MVA and private employers in regards to suspensions, tickets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events