Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Did you read the article? The long trailer jack-knifed right across the highway. They probably hit it one by one, or two by two since they had nowhere to go to avoid the trailer.
He was driving a 2016 Dodge 2500; which looks like a pretty beefy truck; pulling what looks like a 2 to 3 car trailer. Thank God that trailer wasn't loaded or it could have wiped out more people. I've read he was driving erratically, crossed the center line hitting the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Now the news is reporting that the driver, who has convictions from 2017 for heroin and cocaine, has, as per his father, just been granted a Green Card! Why are we granting Green Cards to immigrants with cocaine and heroin convictions? Seems that instead of a Green Card, he should have been order to deport out of the states!
ICE puts detainer request on Ukrainian charged in deadly NH biker crash

Quote:
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has filed a detainer request against a 23-year-old Massachusetts man with a history of traffic arrests who is accused of killing seven motorcyclists in a fiery collision in New Hampshire last week.

The request means Volodymyr Zhukovskyy could face deportation back to his native Ukraine whenever he is released from custody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m trying to understand how a trucking company hires a driver with a DUI on their record. You don’t want people like that driving a heavy duty pickup towing a car carrier.
Not only that, he had an accident in Texas a month before! That employer fired him; I guess he had just gotten the job with this company.

I'd also like to know how he was still employed after drug charges.

Driver in deadly NH crash was in Texas rollover just weeks ago, 5 Investigates says

Quote:
The driver of a pickup that crashed into a group of motorcyclists in New Hampshire, killing seven people, was involved in a rollover crash in Texas just weeks ago, 5 Investigates has learned.

Police told 5 Investigates that Zhukovskyy said a car had swerved in front of him and he flipped the truck as he tried to avoid the vehicle.At the time, he was driving a red Mack truck car hauler with a Massachusetts registration.

The owner said that Zhukovskyy was fired after crashing the truck hauler this month and that he was not aware of February's drug arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I think helmets and full clothing help with minor accidents, or to prevent road rash. Head on collisions will be fatal 99% of the time, regardless of helmets. Anything head on is usually fatal if your going highway speeds.
They were riding big touring bikes. I agree, helmets and full leathers wouldn't have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Why is it so sadreally? Motorcycle riders know that the end will likely becoming before everyone else and ride anyway. You can warn them about all the dangers, give them personal anecdotes, and they will still ride. Not to mention, many engage in very dangerous behavior on the road.

Society needs to stop this out pouring of sympathy when people play a hand in their own death. You will sleep better
What an ignorant comment. These were guys riding what looks like touring bikes, not the crazy "rice" crotch rockets you're thinking of; and not everyone on crotch rockets drives like that.

I've ridden since I was 15; riding a moped then a bike at 17 in 1983. I had one accident on my moped where a car pulled out in front of me. I stopped riding a few years ago due to my failed spinal fusion. When I stopped riding it was not as enjoyable as it used to be because of crazy drivers in cars and trucks.

Out of all of the biker riders I've known, 2 were in bike accidents. One almost lost a leg, another was a quadriplegic due to a truck taking out a bunch of riders in his group. It was a 3 lane road, bikes were in all 3 lanes, the truck started swerving to take out riders on both sides. The guy I knew almost drowned due to his helmet filling with water in a ditch.

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-26-2019 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:23 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
The head of the Massachusetts RMV has resigned over mistakes with the license of the truck driver involved in a fatal crash.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06...al-crash-case/

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times
Beyond tragic and stupid this guy was 1. Allowed to drive and 2. Be employed as a driver.

I read a post with an ICE link.

What's his legal status / visa status in the, US?

He recently got a green card.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Why is it so sadreally? Motorcycle riders know that the end will likely becoming before everyone else and ride anyway. You can warn them about all the dangers, give them personal anecdotes, and they will still ride. Not to mention, many engage in very dangerous behavior on the road.

Society needs to stop this out pouring of sympathy when people play a hand in their own death. You will sleep better
Yeah this post is pretty disgusting, victim blaming is never a good look. Riding a bicycle or jogging along a road also puts those people at risk, should we blame them too when a drunk driver kills them?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah this post is pretty disgusting, victim blaming is never a good look. Riding a bicycle or jogging along a road also puts those people at risk, should we blame them too when a drunk driver kills them?
Absolutely agree.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I wouldn't "blame them," but when you do some of these things, you knowingly are running at a higher risk of severe injury or death.

I was in Acadia National Park in Maine two weeks ago today. TONS of bicyclists on that loop road around the island. You'd barely see them going around a blind turn. I see them on the Blue Ridge Park all the time. The bicyclists are what get me - they're a danger to themselves and to motorists.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Did you read the article? The long trailer jack-knifed right across the highway. They probably hit it one by one, or two by two since they had nowhere to go to avoid the trailer.
Yes I did, but still that is a very high kill ratio even for that type of accident. It is gross negligence, and manslaughter. I get your point, but still.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,362,327 times
Quote:

The best thing about this post is it's easy to spot someone trying to talk about something they have zero clue about.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
This was a motorcycle club of Marine Veterns.....one was also a nurse. So sad that these fine people, who served our country......had to die because of this scum.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Trailers do not suddenly jack knife. That happens as the result of an accident or perhaps a catastrophic failure of some sort.
He probably clipped a bike or two and sent the whole pack crashing into each other. Then he completely lost control.

Couple of comments:
1) Is this guy another one of the 'chain migrants' we used to hear about? If so, he is an example why chain migration should be stopped. Just because your cousin is well qualified in some field and is allowed to migrate doesn't mean that you should, too.
2) He only needed a class B license to drive the pickup. Class B licensees can operate vehicles up to 26,001 pounds and then there are trailer restrictions. For 18 wheelers you need a class A, which entails a LOT more scrutiny. I drove 18 wheelers, and I never even heard of a company that could hire this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events