Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:03 PM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
We didn't feel it but our grandfather clock stopped and we are 142 linear miles away. One commenter on the LA Times mentioned squirrels barking (I didn't know squirrels barked) five minutes prior to the quake. A dude I knew in 1994 told me his dog woke him up 10 MINUTES prior to quakes - and the dog had done this other times with no false alarms. That's hard to believe.

On YouTube there are videos of animals reacting prior to humans feeling quakes.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ses+earthquake
Interesting videos but I don't see any prior reaction. For example in the Cat Cafe video, some of the cats started to react to the first rumbling. The sleeping cats started to wake up at that time. Then the main shockwave hit and they all started freaking out. Some of the cats didn't react much until about 10 seconds into the earthquake. I wouldn't call that prior reaction.

Funny though the cats confusion, as to what was going on reminded me of the confusion I had to my first earthquake. I was in my hotel room in Tokyo, shaving in the bathroom. When suddenly I felt my stomach churn, and I felt light headed and dizzy. I felt like I was going to pass out or something. I dropped my razor in the sink and grabbed hold of the sink. Then I realized it wasn't me. The sink was moving and I could see my clothes swinging back and forth on the hooks. At that point I started wondering why was the building shaking? Did something crash into the building? Could this be an earthquake? Then I went to the window and looked out and saw the power lines and poles shaking back and forth. That was when it finally sank in, that I had just experienced my first earthquake. But I still had to turn on the TV and see a map of Tokyo with magnitude numbers flashing all over it, to be absolutely sure. LOL.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
SO???? These folks who choose to live in that 'quake zone' all know what might happen. They CHOOSE to live there. I have dear friends who live there for over 45 yrs and they continue to live there, happily.
Live each day like it is your last...plain, simple and end of story.
As someone who has experienced both earthquakes and tornados, I would take earthquakes any day. Only the worst of the worst earthquakes are likely to hurt you. Even people who live in an earthquake zone their entire life are likely to experience something like that maybe one time. On the other hand, even a weak tornado can kill you, and if you live in Tornado Alley, you will experience those at least a couple of times a year.

And even though hurricanes are probably less dangerous than earthquakes, unless you decide to ride it out, I would probably still choose an earthquake over that as well. Earthquakes are a lot less disruptive. With hurricanes you have to evacuate your home every few years, and if the hurricane causes any damage, it could be weeks before you can return home. An hour after an earthquake people will be cleaning up.

There are a lot worse things to worry about then earthquakes.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
While living in Louisville, I read a story about the New Madrid and its quake impact it would have in Louisville. One thing is for sure, when that fault goes, it is lights out Memphis and St Louis and chaos for Louisville and Nashville among other places.
My husband and I briefly considered moving to TN - the Chattanooga area. When we visited, we realized that there are nuclear power plants EVERYWHERE and yes, that Madrid faultline is definitely problematic. We decided against it.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As someone who has experienced both earthquakes and tornados, I would take earthquakes any day. Only the worst of the worst earthquakes are likely to hurt you. Even people who live in an earthquake zone their entire life are likely to experience something like that maybe one time. On the other hand, even a weak tornado can kill you, and if you live in Tornado Alley, you will experience those at least a couple of times a year.

And even though hurricanes are probably less dangerous than earthquakes, unless you decide to ride it out, I would probably still choose an earthquake over that as well. Earthquakes are a lot less disruptive. With hurricanes you have to evacuate your home every few years, and if the hurricane causes any damage, it could be weeks before you can return home. An hour after an earthquake people will be cleaning up.

There are a lot worse things to worry about then earthquakes.
I agree that earthquakes are no more of a concern than, say, a hurricane, but they are just very different. Partly because a hurricane, and even a tornado, can generally be predicted and prepared for.

I live in Tornado Alley by the way, and have for decades. Never had any significant damage from a tornado. Over 90 percent of tornadoes are very small and basically don't do any significant damage to life or property. I've also lived in Japan and California and experienced earthquakes numerous times. There's just something so incredibly unpredictable and weird about them. One time one of them knocked me out of my bed onto the floor! But I never experienced significant damage to life or limb in an earthquake either.

Out of all the possible natural disasters, I probably fear significant earthquakes and wildfires the most. Hurricanes or typhoons - well, I don't really FEAR them but they do often wreak absolute havoc and widespread destruction.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Oh by the way, my son lives in Guam and they have had a series of significant earthquakes in the last 30 days. Five and above on the Richter scale. Ring of Fire and all that jazz.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Felt here at the ocean in Santa Monica, a slow rolling movement, probably 30 seconds...and it's been a long while since our last one in 1994 and I was living here too but a lot of damage done, the Northridge quake is what I think they called it... And in '89 I was living in San Jose and the World Series game was to start at Candlestick park and I experienced that one. Light damage done in San Jose area. Not fun but I've been in CA over 50 yrs and no desire to leave.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that earthquakes are no more of a concern than, say, a hurricane, but they are just very different. Partly because a hurricane, and even a tornado, can generally be predicted and prepared for.

I live in Tornado Alley by the way, and have for decades. Never had any significant damage from a tornado. Over 90 percent of tornadoes are very small and basically don't do any significant damage to life or property. I've also lived in Japan and California and experienced earthquakes numerous times. There's just something so incredibly unpredictable and weird about them. One time one of them knocked me out of my bed onto the floor! But I never experienced significant damage to life or limb in an earthquake either.

Out of all the possible natural disasters, I probably fear significant earthquakes and wildfires the most. Hurricanes or typhoons - well, I don't really FEAR them but they do often wreak absolute havoc and widespread destruction.

But hey, that's just me.
Early earthquake warnings are getting pretty good these days. They can give 10 or 20 seconds up to 2 minutes of warning. So earthquakes don't have to be a total surprise anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgAgJODgho

Old 07-04-2019, 10:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As someone who has experienced both earthquakes and tornados, I would take earthquakes any day. Only the worst of the worst earthquakes are likely to hurt you. Even people who live in an earthquake zone their entire life are likely to experience something like that maybe one time.
Such as the Cascade Subduction Zone along the Oregon Coast? One time is all it would take, and those towns go bye bye.

Here in Las Vegas, NV we did feel some light shaking from the earthquake today.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:24 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
And FOX network took time to minimize quakes back East...idiots are going to help kill tens of thousands when the dangerous New Madrid fault along the Mississippi river erupts. And experts are looking for a 7+ soon...there are 12 sisters of nuke plant in Fukishima on or near New Madrid. Most nuke plants here in East rated safe to 5 quake. Last time New Madrid shook it reshaped Mississippi river cracked or rang church bells from. Charleston SC to Boston...
Depending what you read - I 've read numerous articles and the closest to your statement says this:

The USGS changed the figures in 2002 to 25-40% for a magnitude 6.0 or greater and 7 - 10% for a catastrophic event in any 50-year period, based on all new science. The chances for a magnitude 6 were decreased

Most state that earthquakes can't be predicted with any certainty and especially not in the Midwest as one said "To our complete surprise, we see absolutely no motion of the ground."

You're trying to make this horrible situation political - just stop it. Forget politics and concentrate on the current situation at hand.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:03 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,939 times
I slept through it here in Carson. My neighbor told me he felt the rolling sensation. I'm in Culver city for work and just felt some shaking a few min past 4am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events